2nd try at keeping fully planted tank, 1st try at scaping - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
2nd try at keeping fully planted tank, 1st try at scaping

Hi there,

Since I'm always looking for improvement on my setup I figured it'd be smart to start a thread and update it with the plans I've got on changing stuff so I can get some feedback.
This is my first real try at setting up and maintaining a fully planted tank and I know for a fact there's quite a couple people on here that know a lot more than I do.
Of course I'll also post some pics of the tank and setup themselves because I know how much everybody likes peekin' at those. I know I do!

My setup:

Ciano Emotions 100 (175liter,closed lid) with original stand.

It came with 2 39watt t5 bulbs and I've built in another 30watt fluorescent t8 bulb behind them to get a midday blast.
The 39's go from 1300h to 0h and the 30 watt goes from 1500h to 2100h although I sometimes shorten this still trying to find balance.

I've recently replaced my JBL cristalprofi e701 canister for a tetra ex 1200plus.

After my canister I've got a small (about 4,5 gallons) sump installed to house my equipment.
My heater, an uv light and some extra filtration media that I put in mainly to deal with loss of co2 and having a new canister filter.
For a return pump i acquired a new jebao dcs 4000. Very nice toy

Started injecting pressurised co2 about a month ago through an inline atomizer and seen great improvement.
Due to getting a rack diffuser with the set which also counts a bubble counter I don't have a bubble counter yet.
It's in the mail. Been going with my co2 checker and the look of fish and plants.

I fertilise with 4ml of easylife complete fertiliser every morning before the lights come on except for sunday.
Started combining my pressurised co2 with a daily dose of easylife carbo, I read this can inhibit algae growth a lot and even kill it off.
Also have some supplements coming. Noticed with a test today that there's hardly any nitrites/nitrates in the water.

50% waterchange every sunday at the end of the day.

Livestock:
About 20 cherry barbs.
6 petricola cats
1 L number not exactly sure.
1 discus
4 cory's
about 40 RCS
10 japonica
3 bamboo fan shrimp

Now let me see about a decent picture of the lot, if I can't find any I'll post some tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 11:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

You're able to keep RCS, amanos, and bamboo shrimp with S petricola? Tell us your secrets (unless they're that the cats are still little...)! Sounds like a real nice setup.

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No secrets, the synodontis are from a long line of captivity bred animals so they should do fine in a little softer water as well.
At least this is what the guy at the lfs told me and so far I've had them for nearly a year and they're fine.
I do think it's the dwarf version, they're about 6 cm now (2,5 inch)

In the day they hide in between the rockwork mostly and come out at night.
Never seen them go after shrimp actually. Their mouth would only fit young shrimp anyway.

Bump: Most recent I have, can't find any with the stand open will post some tomorrow.

Still dealing with me not knowing much when i bought and set up the tank, I've moved the layout around a lot since i got it and made all my beginner mistakes with it.
Algae is slowly going now although with the new light i've found it hard to find and the keep the right balance so far.

I know there's the java ferns on the left that shouldn't be in so much light, keep trimming leaves with algae every week or so.
Oh and same goes for the echinodorus in the middle doesn't it? As you can see the thick brush on that ultimate right leaf.
Already decided this plant is coming out tomorrow. Takes too much space and light and your eye of the right places.

If I find the time I'll also try to post a flora list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160123_192330.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	579857  

Last edited by Jeroen; 01-24-2016 at 12:21 AM. Reason: ..

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Did some trimming slight rearrangement of the mountain, with some glue this time.
Waterchange etc. tried to get some clear pics but couldn't really so far. I'll have to dig up my digital camera.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160124_191723.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	580089  

Name:	20160124_191557.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	580097  

doggo and doggo like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

without the co2 bubbles it';s already a lot better
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160124_231912.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	580209  

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh n a plant listing
guess I'll start 12o'clock and work my way round clockwise.
*Christmas Moss
*Java fern
*L Repens Rubin
*Bacopa Australis (not too sure)
*Anubias nana
*Dwarf baby tears
*Ceratopteris Siliquosa
*Lobelia Cardinalis
*Bacopa lanigeria (i'm pretty sure)
*Eustralis Stellata can't wait till this grows out
*Hydrocotyle Tripartitia
*Acorus Gramineus
*Echinodorus vesuvius
Then there's some more java fern and the parted version of it.
The only plant i really don't know what it is exactly is the yellowish pink stemplant just left of the middle.
They sent me that as an extra but without label and can't seem to find it so far.

Last edited by Jeroen; 01-24-2016 at 10:26 PM. Reason: forgot one
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 12:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

hi jeroen,

first of, nice tank also nice set-up
but I think your discus is a bit lonely since they should be kept with a minimal of 5.

anyhow lighting seems okay, do you use reflectors?
to much light on a java fern is not really a problem mine are 10cm under the hood. in full light.
your main light runs for 11 hours a day? if so reduce it to 8
your midday light is 6 hours? you could reduce that if the reduction of your main lights doesn't help in the fight against algae.

I might be dutch but I don't have a dutch scape.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsenrex View Post
hi jeroen,

first of, nice tank also nice set-up
but I think your discus is a bit lonely since they should be kept with a minimal of 5.

anyhow lighting seems okay, do you use reflectors?
to much light on a java fern is not really a problem mine are 10cm under the hood. in full light.
your main light runs for 11 hours a day? if so reduce it to 8
your midday light is 6 hours? you could reduce that if the reduction of your main lights doesn't help in the fight against algae.
Thanks for the compliment!
Where in our huge country do you reside my friend?

I think so too, had a couple of these but sadly one got stuck behind a thermometer and died which left this little guy alone, been looking for a replacement. Last time i've used a glass thermometer with sucker in my tank though. Switched them all to digital.

I've made some small changes already, main light runs from 14 till 23.30 now.
Main light consists of 2 39watt T5 bulbs with reflectors.
Second light, the 30 watt T8, goes from 16 till 21 for the midday, no reflector on this as of yet.
Kinda waiting for my ip67 ledstrip to come in so i can simulate a very soft sunrise/down and moonlight and cutting in my lighting-time won't cut into my time looking inside

Bump: Oh and the java fern? Just keep trimming?

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 01:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

yes, just trim the ferns.
where did you get your LEDs from? be aware that some of the cheap "waterproof" LEDs are not waterproof..
I've burnt 2 so called waterproof strips and almost melted my hood because the water got in the strips and made a short..

most people will tell you that a discus needs to be kept in a group of 5 or more

your main lights still run for 9,5 hours, I still would cut it down to 8 hours.

I live in alkmaar not far from amsterdam

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cheers, I've ordered em out of china but took care not to order the very cheapest ones.
They are also at the exact length i will need them to be so i don't have to cut them anywhere and can glue them straight into the corners of the lid with the cable sticking out in the back.
I've had some before bought at the hardwarestore here, worked fine but for the pieces that i had cut and put together. After a while these let go.

You have a thread on anything of yours going?

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 05:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

no I don't have any journals left, but i will start a new one here and on aquaforum.nl as soon as my new tank arrives.
on my profile you can see my 2 tanks.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Can only see one i think. Like the new layout without the terrace. Although it's a cool one, going all round the tank. Makes it look very neat n organised. Will be looking out to follow your new setup.

I've recently replaced a tank in my house as well, went from a 25 gallon long to a brand new juwel rio 180.
I've got it running now I can post a picture but ain't nothing special.

Still have some neat wood and ordered 20kg of seiryu stones, 4 pinnatifada and 4 HCallitrichoides and will be buying some fire moss i think.
Have a bag of tropica plant growth substrate and some tetra complete substrate and will be mixing the two to top it off with some simple black gravel in the back behind the stones and sand in the front.
That's about all I've figured out so far though i'm sure there will be more plants in there.

For flora I hope to acquire some nice shrimp from which to start a colony actually.
Have been thinking about Kyathit fire ring danio's actually. Anybody have any exp on these with small shrimp?

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 10:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

new(est) setup
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3720.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	582066  

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

very nice this is a 300 ltr or so?

Time for an update!
Been quite some changes and progress.
Most obvious is the new light I ordered out of china for next to nothing.
More of an experiment actually. Seems to work out quite well so far.
The second is the backdrop i changed from dark blue paper to a see through bathroom kinda thing which i figured would look nice but made a really dumb mistake gluing it to the back. Luckily it's glue i can wash off with water. Just didn't feel like taking it off again straight away.
I'll just post some pictures of the lot and let you see for yourselves.
There's a picture there of some algae that is obviously dying off
Right next to it is a plant that seems to have some trouble, is this cos of my doses with carbo fluid onto the algae?

The last picture is of my new tank. Seiryu should be coming in tomorrow, plants and an extra 2x39watt t5 on thursday and shrimp and pres. co2 on friday or just after the weekend. SO EXCITED

Bump: btw the bathroom stuff is also on the new tank where you can see how it works out the right way
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160131_030928.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	584402  

Name:	20160131_030911.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	584410  

Name:	20160202_160901.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	584418  

Name:	20160131_030935.jpg
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	584426  

Name:	20160131_030917.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	584434  

Name:	20160202_163302.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	584442  

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Me rocks finally came yesterday!!!
Made some pictures during setup, enjoy

I think the cardinalis might've been a mistake will see about replacing that.
There's rotala wallichii and bossii in the back will take some time before getting visible.

I have some blue fairy, blue dream, some rili neo's and some oto's coming for animals.

For now there's 2x 45 watt t5 above this setup but hope tomorrow another 2x39watt t5 will come in through the mail along with pressurized co2. ( there's a diy kit hooked up to an inline atomizer atm)

btw anybody know how to change the title to a thread you started?

Bump:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160203_162902.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	585658  

Name:	20160203_174302.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	585666  

Name:	20160203_175747.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	585674  

Name:	20160203_181448.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	585682  

Name:	20160203_174655.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	585690  

Name:	20160203_204239.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	585698  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode