Planted high tech 75g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Planted high tech 75g

Whats up everybody? Ive been a member here for a while but not very active. Ive had a low tech ten gallon and currently a 40 gallon. We just moved in December and bought our first house and had our son 2 weeks ago! So we decided to buy a 75g since it was $1/gallon. The 40g currently resides at my parents (it looks horrible because we've been so busy) and they are taking care of it until we are ready to transfer our fish. This is my first go at a high tech tank so im a noob. Any input or criticism is welcomed!! Feel free to post pics of your 75g and some details about it too just to bounce some ideas around and see what else is out there!

Equipment:

•custom stand built by my girlfriends uncle
•1 bag of organic miracle grow potting mix capped with 80lbs of eco complete
•driftwood from a LFS
•rocks picked from the local lake
•eheim 2217 with purigen
•hydor koralia 42*
•eheim jager 200w heater (may run a second eventually)

Lighting:

•finnex ray 2

CO2:

•Milwaukee ma957 regulator
•5lb co2 tank from a local welding store. May upgrade to a 10 or 20 depending on how long the 5 lasts
•CO2 tubing from GLA
•80mm ceramic diffuser with check valve from GLA
•rhinox drop checker

Ferts:

•pps pro from my previous 40g

Fauna (currently in my 40g):

•2 albino plecos
•1 bolivian ram (want to add 2 more)
•10 rummynose (want to add 6 more)
•2 otos (want to add 4 more
•6 albino catfish (want to add 4 more or 6 of another specie)

Thinking about a school of rainbow fish to top it off.

As for flora i ordered a plant package from aquarium plants to get it started. Figured id give it a shot, then buy the rest locally. Im probably forgetting something but ill post pics of where im at now. Currently Waiting on the plants to arrive and cycling the tank with media from my 40 gallon! Ps i suck at aquascaping so its bound to change as i learn more lol

Ordered one heater and amazon sent me a 6 pack(for the price of one)

The dog and gf filling it up lol

Current state as we wait for the plants!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The wires and timer are everywhere. Ill clean them up this weekend! So disregard the mess

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/80%)
Great setup, i like the pics. The stand looks suspect tho man!

-Mikey G

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Congratulations! How do you have the energy to put together a big tank like this? Wonderful gift to yourselves.

I built a cover for the CO2 and electric as my CO2 tank was just a bit too tall to fit inside the stand. Plan a baby safe tank now, you only have 6 months or so until he'll be everywhere! My plan was to hang the cover from a french cleat but got the wall bit attached too low so it isn't working atm.

Looks like good stuff. Nutrients? Have a plan for NPK+M?

I'd move the wood a bit closer to the center of the tank and have some of the rocks associated with it. If you could find more to fill in that would be great. Neat bit of wood, move it around some. I wonder how it would look with the cut end facing the back corner?

I'd have all the equipment on the same end of the tank. If the powerhead is facing same way as the return then it amplifies the flow rather than fighting it. It's interesting how it is less obtrusive having it all on one end too. Still there but isn't in the way. Maybe it's having all the straight lines together or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeygmzmg View Post
Great setup, i like the pics. The stand looks suspect tho man!

The tank stand is my only concern... Ive built my previous two and they were solid. I gave him an idea of how to build it and he did his own thing. I trust him though as hes been woodworking for a while and had 800+ lbs of cinder blocks stacked on it. So we will see. I put a piece of plywood under it to distribute the weight a bit. I told the girl if it goes crashing down she pays for all the damages lol.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Congratulations! How do you have the energy to put together a big tank like this? Wonderful gift to yourselves.

I built a cover for the CO2 and electric as my CO2 tank was just a bit too tall to fit inside the stand. Plan a baby safe tank now, you only have 6 months or so until he'll be everywhere! My plan was to hang the cover from a french cleat but got the wall bit attached too low so it isn't working atm.

Looks like good stuff. Nutrients? Have a plan for NPK+M?

I'd move the wood a bit closer to the center of the tank and have some of the rocks associated with it. If you could find more to fill in that would be great. Neat bit of wood, move it around some. I wonder how it would look with the cut end facing the back corner?

I'd have all the equipment on the same end of the tank. If the powerhead is facing same way as the return then it amplifies the flow rather than fighting it. It's interesting how it is less obtrusive having it all on one end too. Still there but isn't in the way. Maybe it's having all the straight lines together or something.

Thanks for the input! the scape isnt final it will def me moved around a bit, i will try your suggestions. As for the powerhead i didnt know if i wanted surface agitation on both sides or just one, so i placed them at opposite ends. No plan for ferts yet, just gonna see what works and play with it.

Good thinking on baby proofing. Maybe i should get to building an enclosure for the filter and co2 cylinder just to be safe.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 06:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
I just bought a 75g as well. Waiting for all the good stuff to arrive in the mail. Keep up with the pix!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasutaku View Post
I just bought a 75g as well. Waiting for all the good stuff to arrive in the mail. Keep up with the pix!

Right on!! Post pics when you get it setup!! Good luck and have fun with the tank!!

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasutaku View Post

Right on!! Post pics when you get it setup!! Good luck and have fun with the tank!!

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got all the plants today except something for a small carpet which im undecided on. Gonna let my gf plant them since she feels leftout that all she did was fill it up lol. Will post pics later tonight

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 09:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

looking good!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The gf got it planted yesterday. She kind of just clumped plants together lol but i gave her an A for effort. Ill probably replant in a few weeks after i see some growth. Going to get some sort of carpet/foreground plant today. Fish from our 40 will go in next weekend!

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

We Also will get some moss for the driftwood!

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just a 3 day update. Im going to let everything fill in a bit then trim and replant some stuff. Moss will go on the driftwood eventually.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I wouldn't even be mad if amazon sent all those to me haha I would keep 2 or 3 and sell the rest to put more funds towards the tank haha...other then that your tank is starting to look real nice!! Also I know what you mean when the lady feels left out on the whole tank process...that's why I gave the job of picking out fish to my girlfriend and also choosing a couple different plants hah!! But very nice

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode