60G Shrimp & Rasboras - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
60G Shrimp & Rasboras

A bit of a long story.

I moved about a year ago and sold off all of my fish and most of my 100 or so CRS before the move. I took down all my tanks except for one, a 5-gallon. I drained that tank down to about 4 inches of water and and left about 12-15 CRS in it along with as many plants I could float in there. It was mostly microsorum, anubias, marsilea, lilaeopsis, and crypts. The mini "Noah's Ark" came with us in the car. Including a few pit stops and an overnight stay, the shrimp remained there for the next 24 hours.

When we arrived at the new home, I left the tank near a window with indirect sunlight and added a small heater since it was the middle of winter -- and there was still no filter. Fast-forward 7 months later and it's mid-July. I'd been topping off the tank to roughly 6 inches of water periodically, and added food maybe once or twice. Most of the plants were still doing well. The crypts suffered the most and had dwindled down to nubs with a couple tiny leaves. The CRS population had dwindled down to 3 shrimp.

The 60G is cycled at this point. It consisted of a 2-inch dirt layer underneath 2 inches of gravel. I cautiously move the 3 remaining shrimp -- 1 berried female and 2 males -- to the new tank. Within a few days the 2 males die. The fate of the new shrimp colony would depend on the single surviving berried female!

I spend the next few weeks keeping an eye on her and her babies. The first batch of babies survives and I'm up to 10 or so adult shrimp after a couple months. It wasn't until December that I had the second generation of adult shrimp. And that brings us to the current colony of 20-30 shrimp (and 10 B. brigittae). Phew!

Tank specs:

1. Two Eheim filters: 2211 & 2213
2. Miracle Grow Organic soil
3. Eheim Jager heater
4. Koralia powerhead
5. 60G Marineland Heartland tank
6. Finnex Planted+ (4 hours) & Finnex Planted 24/7 (on 24-hr cycle)

Plants:

1. C. thalictroides
2. H. zosterifolia
3. Hydrocotyle 'japan'
4. Various crypts (these came back from the near-dead nubs that they were!)
5. Red lily of some sort
6. Microsorum 'windelov'
7. Anubias barteri (various sizes)
8. Marsilea hirsuta
9. Valisneria nana
10. Bucephalandra (barely surviving)
11. L. sessiliflora

Input: Dry KNO3 and KH2PO4, Seachem Equilibrium, Metricide-28, Ken's Veggie Sticks (primary food for the inhabitants)

Water params:

1. 7.4 pH (basically the same as the tap water here)
2. 110-130 ppm TDS
3. KH: 2 dG; GH: 3 dG; the water is really soft here

Future plans:

1. More B. brigittae
2. Amanos and maybe a bamboo shrimp?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5124.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	579041  

Name:	IMG_5146.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	579049  

Name:	IMG_5139.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	579057  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 06:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think this looks really nice, and will look even better once it's grown in. Are those low grade CRS? Because they're beautiful with all those red markings. Do you plan on adding any more CRS in order to bolster your blood line?

Great job.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks! I know they're not the high grade CRS. I've never actually selectively bred these guys so it's usually a mix of what I guess are mostly S/S+ and A/B. The one in the second photo above with the alternating red/white pattern is unusual but I think it's looks cool too I don't have any plans to introduce more CRS. I've read online that it's a good idea to add new genes to the pool but in my 5 years of keeping these guys, I've never added any shrimp... all of them trace back to the original 10-15 shrimp that I got from a hobbyist waaaay back. I actually asked him about this topic and he told me that he doesn't really think about it either. I've heard the higher grade shrimp are weaker due to excessive inbreeding so introducing outside genes would help, but I would not know from experience.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode