But is it made of... wood? A Mr Aqua 45cm cube - The Planted Tank Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)
But is it made of... wood? A Mr Aqua 45cm cube

So over the next couple of weeks I'll be taking my 13.3g tank down and setting up a Mr Aqua 45cm cube. I was going to use the same tank and everything, but I was going to need to build a stand for it as I'm moving it to a different room. It's on a storage dresser right now, but my wife has always wanted it out of the living room lol. The tank got a scratch on the front panel somehow (my cats use it as a water bowl, so it's possibly due to them), so I figured all of this combined, it would be pretty similar to just buying a new tank, so screw it, let's do this.

Equipment

Display
Mr Aqua 'Brilliant' 45cm cube

Substrate
CaribSea Super Naturals Moonlight + Tahitian Moon sands

Filtration
Sunsun HW-304B
Filter floss
ROX 0.8 activated carbon
100mL Seachem Purigen
Pure calcium carbonate powder additions for added clarity

Flow
TBD if necessary

Heater
Cobalt Neo-Therm 75 watt

CO2
Concoa Stainless Steel dual-stage regulator
Fabco NV-55-18 metering valve
Clippard Mouse EVO-3-12 solenoid
CO2 Canister size TBD
Cerges reactor

Lighting
DIY LED setupOld school Nanocustoms Unibody heatsink with Gooseneck
2x Bridgelux Vero 10 3000K 97CRI
2x Bridgelux V10 5000K 90CRI
2x LEDgroupbuy 410nm violet
2x Luxeon Rebel ES royal blue
2x Luxeon Rebel blue
2x Luxeon Rebel cyan
4x Luxeon Rebel ES lime
Nano Box Reef driver board
4x Meanwell LDD-700H
Meanwell SCW05C-12 powering fans
Meanwell SCW05C-12 powering Clippard solenoid from O2surplus adapter
Bluefish Mini for control of LEDs and solenoid

Livestock

Fish
  • Betta splendens
  • Panaqolus maccus
  • Paracheirodon innesi
  • Poecilia reticulata
Invertebrates
  • TBD
Plants
  • Anubias barteri var 'petite'
  • Echinodorus amazonicus
  • Ludwigia sp.
  • Staurogyne repens
  • Taxiphyllum sp. 'peacock'

There will be quite a bit more to come, so stay tuned

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
a 40g reef
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So the stand is mostly built, got the materials on Monday and got the frame of it assembled and squared.

The stand is made of 1x poplar boards. The top and inner shelf is made from 1/2" sandeply. The frame is 18"x18" outer and is with the plywood on top is 30" tall.

I have finished the first layer of wood filler in any gaps, let it dry last night, and whenever I am able I will move on to sanding, sealing the inside, priming, and painting. I will also be making the doors, those will come soon.
Chibils and Chibils like this.

a 40g reef
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 05:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Pretty awesome so far

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike00726 View Post
Pretty awesome so far
Thanks!

Yesterday evening I started sanding the wood filler, made the joints look a whole lot better, though can still see that there is a change in height on some of them, but not noticeable unless you are really looking for it. Damned poplar boards were, on average, 1/16" difference in width and height. I then flipped the stand upside down and used a tape measure to measure exactly 29.5" from the plywood top (which was now on the ground) and used a belt sander to get each of the legs exactly straight, now she sits perfectly level with no wobble I also sealed the bottom shelf and inner seams with paintable caulking. Plan for this evening is to get the crown molding cut and installed and start priming the entire thing with Kilz.

Oh, and look what arrived from BRS yesterday

I also received the glass holesaw a couple of days ago, so I will be figuring out where I want my holes to be and get them drilled. I am using 3/4" bulkheads to connect to the SunSun canister filter using all 3/4" piping. This way I will not have anything coming over the top of the tank. I will be cutting the cord on my Neotherm heater and sticking it into the Cerges reactor, so long as it has room for it, anyway. If not, I'll have to figure something else out to be able to keep it out of the display.

a 40g reef
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Was able to get the stand primed on Friday, second coat on Saturday morning, then a coat of appliance epoxy paint on Saturday evening. My dad finally brought my grandpa his router table back, so I was able to get the door frames cut and routed out to hold acrylic panels that I will very lightly sand to give it a 'frosted' look. I managed to mess up the frames a bit, though, as I didn't think to not route out the ends of the wood. Whoops!

Not too much left to do! Putty/sand/prime/paint the doors, sand the acrylic, silicone/epoxy the acrylic into the door frames, prime/paint the crown molding, attach the door magnet hardware, and I think we're all set! My canister filter arrived, I have all the parts for the Cerges reactor (at least, I'm pretty sure I do, anyway), and the last parts to finish out my CO2 regulator.

I have been trying to get ahold of Praxair, the only place I can get CO2 locally, and have called several times a day for a few days last week and no one ever answered the phone. I guess I will have to actually go there just to find out their prices. I screwed up when I made the stand and didn't think about the size of the equipment going into it, my canister filter is about 11"x11", a 5lb CO2 tank is like 6.5" diameter, my Cerges reactor will be like 4"... and the inside of the stand is 16.5"x16.5".

I've also decided to swap out some of the LEDs in my light, changing the 5000K 90CRI and 3000K 97CRI Bridgelux Vero to 5600K 90CRI and 2700K 97CRI Vero. Only problem is the heatsink i am using has channels between where the LEDs go and I would have to either cut into them or cut the Bridgelux Vero 18 PCB to fit. I don't think it would be too much of a problem, but I'd rather not ruin the LEDs or the heatsink lol.

a 40g reef
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 03:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
How do you like that Kreg jig?
WaterGuy82 and WaterGuy82 like this.

post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calestus View Post
How do you like that Kreg jig?
Oh man does it make life easy lol

a 40g reef
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wasn't able to do a whole lot on the stand yesterday. I went to Home Depot and got the silicone to attach the acrylic panels to the doors, the magnets for holding the doors to the stand, a new paintbrush since I ruined my other one lol. I then sanded the edges of all of the doors, applied wood putty to the joints (and let that sit overnight), and then got to work on getting the acrylic panels frosted and ready to use. 120 grit on a corner cat sander did some real quick work! Don't worry, the spots on them are moisture - when the acrylic gets wet, it becomes transparent again!

Today I will be sanding the doors, priming them and the crown molding, I should have enough time to get two coats of it on. Will let it dry overnight, then tomorrow I will paint them with the appliance epoxy paint, and I may need to do another coat of that on Thursday. then I'll be able to attach the acrylic panels on Friday and get the magnet hardware attached on Saturday, and she will be complete! I'll take her home and then will start getting the tank ready.

I think tonight I will do some measuring on the tank itself and figure out where I want my bulkheads to be and get the holes drilled. I should be getting the rest of the pieces of my CO2 regulator in today or tomorrow, so I can also go ahead and get that put together. Still haven't been able to get ahold of anyone at Praxair nor had the time to swing by there. May ask my grandpa if he can go by there and get some info.

a 40g reef
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Was able to get the doors primed, two coats of Kilz. paint tomorrow

a 40g reef
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

After tons and tons of rain, I was finally able to get working again on the stand. So close I can almost taste it!

Look at that gloss

Got the acrylic siliconed in place.

Doorknobs.

Figured I'd paint the rope the same color as the walls in the room

Got some driftwood for this tank and a new 5g PicO at work. Also a bit of magnesium sulfate

Driftwood soup, anyone?

As long as the silicone on the doors has cured, I will drill the holes for the knobs and get the mounting hardware attached and then she will be DONE! Then I just need to drill the tank, get it plumbed up, and get a damned CO2 canister and finish the regulator.

a 40g reef
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
How you gonna deal with the white residue coral snow can leave? More water to calcium carbonate powder ratio?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
How you gonna deal with the white residue coral snow can leave? More water to calcium carbonate powder ratio?

I've never had it leave a residue before. Do you have enough flow to get it filtered out?

a 40g reef
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterben View Post
I've never had it leave a residue before. Do you have enough flow to get it filtered out?
Yeah gyre 150 and dct6000. Run the dct at full power. Although I might be dosing way too much. I don't really measure I just pour it in. The 100% pure stuff clears up in the tank a lot faster than kz so I just go to town. My 500ml stock solution lasted me a month.

On a side note all those planted tanks at nano-reef got me missing it. Ordered 2x of the leftover unibody 36/heatsinks from Chris at cnc. Doing a 6ch cluster in each sink with my old vero 18's. Using my 60p so gonna have to run at super low power.

My reef tank is in autopilot now so I'm bored

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
Yeah gyre 150 and dct6000. Run the dct at full power. Although I might be dosing way too much. I don't really measure I just pour it in. The 100% pure stuff clears up in the tank a lot faster than kz so I just go to town. My 500ml stock solution lasted me a month.

On a side note all those planted tanks at nano-reef got me missing it. Ordered 2x of the leftover unibody 36/heatsinks from Chris at cnc. Doing a 6ch cluster in each sink with my old vero 18's. Using my 60p so gonna have to run at super low power.

My reef tank is in autopilot now so I'm bored

Yeah, I would say that's probably enough flow lol. The bryopsis in my reef seems to cling to the caco3 and looks a bit lighter after each dosing of it, but it goes away after about a day.

What size is the 60p? I am still trying to figure out what to do for this tank. I want to use the 5600k Vero 18 but it doesn't fit in the channels on the heatsink. That is the only LED I want to swap, but I'd have to buy the $75 heatsink from Chris to have a fully open LED area. I can cut the PCB of the Vero to fit, but I'm not sure if I should do that lol
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterben View Post
Yeah, I would say that's probably enough flow lol. The bryopsis in my reef seems to cling to the caco3 and looks a bit lighter after each dosing of it, but it goes away after about a day.

What size is the 60p? I am still trying to figure out what to do for this tank. I want to use the 5600k Vero 18 but it doesn't fit in the channels on the heatsink. That is the only LED I want to swap, but I'd have to buy the $75 heatsink from Chris to have a fully open LED area. I can cut the PCB of the Vero to fit, but I'm not sure if I should do that lol
The 60p is the cad one so its a bit bigger than ada at 24x14x16.

I am going two heatsinks as I am going to have one big rock in the center sticking out of the tank. The 36 small version from him doesn't have the railway so you could maybe do two?

Each sink will have 2 vero 18 and 4 Luxeon Rebel and 1 Semiled.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode