20H First time planted tank! (Pic heavy) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
20H First time planted tank! (Pic heavy)

I have a 29 gallon tank set-up with some typical tropic fish: harlequin rasbora, gold barbs, cherry barb, neon tetras, female honey gourami, angel, botia, kuli loach, neon rainbows. However, whenever I tried to add plants, they usually melted before I knew what was going on. Since following the forum, I now understand the general requirements for a planted tank. Seeing as how Christmas break from school was coming up, I figured it was a good time to make my list for my parents.
I already had a 20H tank, so I'm made it the target for this venture! I ordered some plants and submitted the wish list of parts to my parents. Along with some items I bought, I ended up with most of the supplies to get started!

Tank details-
Filter: Fluval U2 internal
Light: T5 24inch 2x24watt
CO2: 5lb canister, regulator, glass/ceramic diffuser (part of my Christmas gifts! Yay!)
Substrate: Flourite w/ black gravel section

Plants-
Dwarf Hairgrass, Glosso, Walkerii, Petite Nana, Rotala Indica, Wisteria, Stargrass, Ambulia, Limnophila Indica, Aponogeton bulbs

The pictures are of the initial set-up and the cloudy after-math. It's been clearing up so far, so we'll see!

Glosso

Dwarf Hairgrass

Cloudy! Poured the water in too fast!

Cleared up a little with a few water changes and a filter clean

Nana

I'll post some more when it continues to clear up and grow in. Some of the plants, like the rotala is old so it needs to grow in a ton! I also have no kH test yet, so I can't add fish and I'm guestimating the CO2 additions. I also want to get some fertz. I have one, but thinking of Excel too. Will probably rearrange it after the plants have grown some better roots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's all about the attitude!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry about the huge photos too, forgot to resize!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Trims

Did some trimming. Noticed that some of the stem plants were growing roots at each node and new leaves. Hacked those apart to create many healthy little plants that should grow into nice, full big ones. Will post more pics as water clears (which it had before I stirred it all up again) and the plants grow up and out!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 08:20 AM

I would suggest using one type of rock
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Planted Member

Off to a good start!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Growth and Changes (lots of new images)

Well, I've let the tank grow out for a while after the last trimming and rearranging. Took out the river rocks, and found another piece of driftwood with two spots for plants. Everything seems to be growing well, even the plants I randomly found struggling in my 29gallon. Two of the aponogeton bulbs took off in this tank as well. One has shot a flower stalk to the surface. Grew about 4in. a day! Now it's sending up another. Waiting to see it bloom. Unfortunately heading back to school tomorrow, but should be back soon to lug the tank to school as well. Hopefully that goes well; usually did in the past, but didn't have all the natural plants. We'll see! I also added some neons and my two eye spot or emarald eye rasboras. They are doing well and eating. Here are some updated photos....

Any comments welcome!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Death and Flowers

Okay, so I had to go back to school in January. I left my dad in charge of my 20g high. This tank, if you haven't read, has a CO2 tank injection. Well, the needle valve is a little finicky sometimes, and my dad adjusted it. I left instructions to make sure to check it again in 30 min or so to make sure the bpm was suitable. Well, he left for work and by the end of the day....no mas tetras or emerald rasboras. The CO2 had been pouring into the tank and gassed the fish (not that the face should be smiling about this...).

On a better note, the plants are doing great (the temp boost of CO2 probably didn't hurt in this matter). Two of the plants (I don't recall the names at the moment) have put up flower stalks and have flowers at the surface! That was pretty exciting! Also my dad nabbed me some new filler fish, and I added two of my rasboras from my other tank. The new fish are glow light tetras and some other kind. If you can identify them, please do!

Here's the unknown tetra

There are little green growths from the stalks where the flowers were. New plants?

That's a lot of flower stalks!

This one sent up it's first!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Removed the large pictures

Hey everyone! I removed the post about my 29 gallon. I had forgotten to resize the pictures before I posted them; thus, they were huge! I should have updates soon.
I just got off for spring break and back to my tanks. The 20 gallon planted with CO2 injection is like a forest! Lots of cuttings need to be done! Will post some before and after.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode