Planted Tenner (betta tank) - Page 18 - The Planted Tank Forum
 227Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #256 of 269 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Hey, thank you. I'm flattered. Attention to detail or = being anal. My dad once said this hobby was perfect for me- he's so right!
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #257 of 269 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
Hey, thank you. I'm flattered. Attention to detail or = being anal. My dad once said this hobby was perfect for me- he's so right!
We need both types in this world- those that pay attention to detail and those that see larger patterns. Without both, nothing would come together.
I rarely see individuals with a bit of both.

post #258 of 269 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah I'm definitely bad at things like long-term planning . . .
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|

post #259 of 269 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

If you saw my window tank thread, well this tank also got camallanus worms. I started treatment with levamisole yesterday. Half dose in this tank and the 20H w/the baby guppies. This morning- 24 hrs after dose- checked on the fishes. Guppies were all hiding timid under plants at substrate level. They did come up to eat hesitantly when I sprinkled in bug bites, and I was pleasantly surprised to see I haven't lost any fry yet- at least their numbers don't look diminished- I never did an exact count. Maybe one guppy in here is gone, I only counted nine but the other could be hiding. However the tank has a slight bad smell- I found one horned nerite closed up unresponsive, wonder if it's dying. Or if the other nerite or missing guppy died and I haven't been able to find it. When I do the big wc at end of treatment (tuesday) will lift some things out to look more thoroughly.

One small thing of cheer- in the dim light (tanks are covered while on medication) I saw that one of my buce is flowering:
Desert Pupfish likes this.

|
|
|
|
post #260 of 269 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

All fishes fine. Turns out I'm not missing any- counted ten guppies. I got the diagnosis right- can see worms extruding from the vents of five or six guppies in the tenner. Some of them look emaciated so I don't know if they'll make it... They ate peas today. This tank will be the hardest to clean tomorrow- I'll have to find my tiny home-made vacuum siphon to gravel vac between all the plants.
Discusluv and Desert Pupfish like this.

|
|
|
|
post #261 of 269 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Urg, so it's been 72 hours and I started by thoroughly cleaning the guppy tank with tiny gravel vac. Got it down to just two inches of water. Refilled and then checking on the fishes saw to my dismay some of the guppies still had red worms hanging from their vents. I didn't want those worms to drop into the substrate I just cleaned, but I don't want to have to do a big wc/gravel vac again tomorrow... so I put the guppies in a plastic box floated it in their tank (so they don't get cold) with an airstone on splitter. I've siphoned out shed worms with a straw several times since then. Fingers crossed they drop all the worms by afternoon tomorrow then I can release them in the tank and hope it's good. Keeping them confined like that is probably stressful though.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
post #262 of 269 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It typically takes two treatments of levamisole to clear all the nematodes.
You will get the adults with the first treatment. And, its normal that the fish continue to shed these adults for a few days after treatment.
Then, 3 weeks later, you will treat for the worms again with levamisole, this time killing the eggs that were in gut and not harmed by the medication. This time, the nematodes will be developed enough to be affected by the medication.

Juveniles take nematode infection much harder than adults, primarily from loss of nutrition from the parasite.
Here is a really good article on the use of levamisole:
https://www.loaches.com/Members/shar...ydrochloride-1

Actually, I misspoke- it is 3 treatments. please read the treatment schedule in link at bottom of page.

post #263 of 269 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you, @Discusluv. So I shouldn't worry about seeing the worms shed into the tank- those ones are dead now anyway? Some of my smaller guppies do look very thin and lethargic, I am expecting to loose some. Am surprised that the fry in the other tank- they are only a week old today- look fine so far.

I marked my calendar to be sure and not forget the second round of treatment, this time.

|
|
|
|
post #264 of 269 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thank you, @Discusluv. So I shouldn't worry about seeing the worms shed into the tank- those ones are dead now anyway? Some of my smaller guppies do look very thin and lethargic, I am expecting to loose some. Am surprised that the fry in the other tank- they are only a week old today- look fine so far.

I marked my calendar to be sure and not forget the second round of treatment, this time.
Ill take a short quote from the article I linked you to explain why you do need to vacuum when worms are eliminated, unfortunately>

Quote:

"How does Levamisole HCl work as an antiparasitic agent?

Levamisole HCl is absorbed through the gut, can also be absorbed through the skin and is distributed throughout the body. It affects the neurotransmitters within the parasite and paralyzes the worm (spastic paralysis). The fish then passes the inactive worms. Good gravel vacuuming is advised after treatment to remove the paralyzed worms. It is not ovicidal, which means it will not affect eggs already present, but it will affect the larval stage of the worm. To ensure complete eradication of the parasite treat again after remaining eggs have hatched."

post #265 of 269 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yesterday I fed the fishes garlic-soaked betta pellets. The guppies ate, most of them rather listlessly. I siphoned out the bottom of tanks, have done the huge water changes, and spent several hours sterilizing all the tools (sprayed bleach solution, let it sit fifteen minutes, rinsed with hot water numerous times until odor gone).

Today fed them mini veggie pellets. Guppies ate eagerly, and pooped a ton. Half their waste looks normal. They're active again- one or two had been sitting on the floor yesterday but now up and about. Fry look fine, adult females look fine, although one of them still has white and colorless feces.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
post #266 of 269 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Yesterday I fed the fishes garlic-soaked betta pellets. The guppies ate, most of them rather listlessly. I siphoned out the bottom of tanks, have done the huge water changes, and spent several hours sterilizing all the tools (sprayed bleach solution, let it sit fifteen minutes, rinsed with hot water numerous times until odor gone).

Today fed them mini veggie pellets. Guppies ate eagerly, and pooped a ton. Half their waste looks normal. They're active again- one or two had been sitting on the floor yesterday but now up and about. Fry look fine, adult females look fine, although one of them still has white and colorless feces.
That goes to show you just how much this parasite takes from the vitality of the fish. It causes nutritional deficiencies> weakness/lethargy from these deficiencies> eventual death - if not treated- as fish stops eating and organs shut down.

Now, since medicating and eliminating worms every bit of food eating goes toward restoring strength.

Garlic ( along with increasing appetite) is excellent at healing gut of fish. These nematodes make channels in the gut of fish, causing irritation, and the stomach reacts by trying to "slough" off the parasite by creating mucus. The mucus - the white stringy feces you see- is the stomach lining, that is the guts reaction in ridding the parasite.

post #267 of 269 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Guppies in my tenner all seem to be pooping normal and the two that were looking so emaciated I considered euthanizing them a few days ago, are now starting to gain their weight back. Fry in the 20H and the two adult females look fine but the mums are still expelling white feces that break up into little chunks all around the tank floor (I'm siphoning with a pipette and doing small partial wc daily). Of course the other fishes could have this too and I just don't see it on the substrate. How long they will go on shedding intestinal lining like that? does it means the infection is worse than I realized? Next levamisole dose is wed (day after tomorrow).

Snail on top of the fake skull- he's not dying after all.

|
|
|
|
post #268 of 269 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Fishes all look fine after their second round of levamisole. There's more normal (instead of white) waste on the bottom of the fry tank, and the guppies in here swarmed the front glass when I came near. I had the light strip propped up sideways unplugged the past few days and when reconnected it switched on with the timer before I put it up top again. The lighting from the side was neat so I started taking photos.

Most of the plants look better than ever, probably because near nil light for 72 hours (twice now) has done away with some algae. Only the stems and windelov fern appear to have suffered. Crypt lutea:

Anubias has a new shoot!

Tiny new windelov ferns below that:

Buces 'isabelle' are growing back visibly on the skull:

'Wavy' and 'Selena' below:

They're getting kinda overgrown by the subwassertang, but so far I think the mingling looks nice:

and finally I got a decent photo of a guppy:

|
|
|
|
post #269 of 269 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

My guppies got their third treatment but when I got out the meds I ran short of levamisole so used prazipro this time not sure if that's good enough but it's all I can do right now- problems with the house and I can't really be there much (see my window tank thread). The guppies all look fine and are eating well. I did a fifty percent wc with gravel vac after the prazipro treatment. Next week when things are better I will be able to observe them more closely and see if the problem is finally gone- fingers crossed?

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode