Planted Tenner (betta) now guppy tank - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 236Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 284 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Sept 2015

9/4/15-
Tank is a good two months old now (well, since setup after the move). I had a setback in august when I was gone on vacation for two weeks. Leaving the fish alone and unfed is fine, but I didn't know how to leave a planted tank which gets dosed with nutrients weekly, and mine always suffers at any deficiency. I finally decided to bump up the light period, because my worst fear was that the otocinclus would starve- if the trumpet snails being hungry without food to scavenge became competitors for algae. I put the photoperiod at ten hours. Came back and to my surprise it's doing relatively fine. (Gradually cut the hours back, now it's at 7.5 hrs). The broad anubias leaves do have more black marks, but newest leaf seem unaffected and I hope to get it looking good again soon.

I cleaned the inside of the glass, makes for much better pictures. Plenty of biofilm left on the back wall, lower edges and all the plant surfaces and decor items for the otos. I figure if they didn't eat it sparkling clean in the few weeks I was gone, they're not going to deplete their sources and starve anytime soon.

9/5/15-
Here's how my tenner looked early Sept:

I took out a plastic plant. It was getting ugly with black stuff on it- algae I thought, but it was very hard to get off. I soaked it in a bleach solution to kill whatever it was and rubbed and scraped but still didn't come all the way clean and I broke off some of the plastic leaves. Didn't know they were so brittle. Water wisteria is in its place.

As for the other newer plants in here, rotala indica stem is doing absolutely nothing (but at least it's still alive) and cyperus helferi the outer leaves are rotting but inner leaves still green.

I like the short end view.

9/7/15-
The day I put duckweed in my tank. Not intentionally at first. I brought home from the pet store two new nerites and another cherry barb for my other tank, and one more oto for the tenner. This one looked alert the entire time it was being transported and acclimated, and colored up right away once in the tank, not pale with stress.

It did look a bit thin to me, but I saw it feeding on surfaces and pooping already. The others have been with me nearly two months now so perhaps finally I will have some success keeping otos.

And in the bag with the fish I had a surprise freebie- this tiny green floating plant

It's duckweed

I know a lot of people don't want this plant (just like they don't want malaysian trumpet snails). It's invasive. It multiplies like crazy. It looks cute, but I've heard it is awfully hard to get rid of. Well, I've been warned and I'm trying it anyways. I took a chance when I found it, and let it float in my tank. I'm not worried about it clogging filter intakes because my sponge filter sits on the bottom- so the only annoyance would be it clinging to my own hands, tools I put in the tank, etc. I don't think it will be too much trouble to just scoop some out each week to keep it in check, plus I want shade for my anubias. Looking close, I see that the lower anubias leaves which are shaded by upper ones, don't have the algae marks. Some leaves are half clean and half blotched with algae, a dividing line exactly where the light hits. So I'd been thinking about getting some floaters- azolla caroliniana or frogbit or well, duckweed. If the mild current in Oliver's tank keeps it more or less on one side, maybe I could get it to stay over the spot where the anubias grows...

Oliver keeps grabbing the little plant and spitting it out again, to see if its edible I guess. If it survives that and this one tiny bit turns into numerous plants, hey that would be impressive.

9/10/15-
Third day in and the new oto still looks alert and active. But pale, compared next to the others.

One of the older ones, resting upside-down on a driftwood twig!

9/12/15-
It follows reason that if there is an imbalance with the nutrients in my fish tank, that the water I take out and give to houseplants will have the same imbalance. I noticed recently that the anubias lanceolata has pale leaves with darker veins, and it looked like the java fern was starting to develop that, too. So I dosed magnesium in that tank again.

And now just a few days after doing water changes and watering houseplants with the tank wastewater (as usual) the younger, lower leaves on my avocado plant show similar symptoms:

Older leaves aren't as affected. Maybe I should be dosing the magnesium once a month, or once every other month.

9/18/15-
Late Sept tank shot. I trimmed off some roots on the side of the biggest anubias barteri that were getting all messy-looking. It's gripping very solid on the driftwood, has some thick roots that have gone down conforming tight to the wood all the way. Read that these hairy, thinner side roots aren't really essential to the plant.

Cyperus helferi isn't looking so good. I trimmed a lot of dying material out. Put a few handfuls more of gravel around this one and the wisteria, and gave them each a piece of root tab.

Still have the bit of duckweed, but it hasn't multiplied yet.

9/20/15-
I made a new lid for my aquarium, out of clear panels of lexan (polycarbonate) that I got cut to fit at the hardware store. Even though it's not perfect (the cut was not right so I cut again at home with fine-tooth saw and tried to get it smooth with sandpaper but it has scratches on the edge now) I'm pretty happy with it. I followed examples found here. Basically it's two panes (most people use glass) that fit into this plastic piece meant to edge tile. One sits in the channel, the other rests on top, and to open you just slide one back. The op recommended having the bottom pane slide to open but after a few weeks of using this I found I prefer to slide the top pane, from the front. It sticks less.

My only issue is that contrary to what I read online, the lexan does start to sag in the middle. So I cut a piece of wire from a coat hanger for a center brace, and flip the panes each week to re-correct. I'm using a lot of coat hangers. I hate wire coat hangers for clothes, so those left around the house I've been cutting up for this brace. Three pieces out of each hanger. Every few weeks I replace it because it starts to rust a little on the ends. Someday I'll find something else to use.

I was going to glue a handle on, then thought of drilling a hole just big enough to put a finger into (or drop food through) but in the end I just left it as-is. It's easy to slide open with a push of fingernail, and nudge close from the other side. I like this a lot better than the hinged lid because I don't have to hold the lid open with one hand while I'm doing something. Also, I colored the top side of the plastic edging black, for appearances. I simply used a permanent marker. Not on the side that comes in contact with condensation- just in case it could get something toxic in the water.

Also since it's not glass, will probably cut out a little more light.
PhelanVelvel and PhelanVelvel like this.

Last edited by JJ09; 01-23-2016 at 01:16 AM. Reason: made bold the dates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 284 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Fall 2015

10/6/15-
Since I put a root tab under it, the watersprite has quit looking like it wanted to die and staying green instead.

The anubias seems to be proving my assumption that it got black algae marks from too much light. Newer leaves show none. Third oldest leaf has the pale marks of Mg deficiency, I think that's corrected now as long as I do the epsom salts once a month.

Finally some duckweed multiplying - very slowly though, which suits me just fine. There are now three little clusters of tiny leaves, instead of just one.

Java fern is really improving in here. Smaller plants I tied on the month before have new leaves emerging now, too.

11/6/15-
Transferred over some little windelov java fern pieces from the bigger tank.

Still two small clumps of cyperus helferi in here, barely hanging on, I don't think will last much longer. I should just pull it out and call that one a goner.

Water wisteria in the corner has grown. Some smaller bits were floating and I'm trying to anchor them down to root. The leaf shape is different.

I am not worried about the java fern in here anymore. (See that tiny plant behind it, just in front of the sponge filter? That's one little rotala indica cutting. It hasn't grown at all).

Duckweed seems to be doubling itself every week now.

I do want more plants in here. If the windelov fern does well, I'd like to put in more of that. Maybe vallisneria in the corner where cyperus helferi is dying, ludwigia across the back (replacing the plastic plant) and little stems of rotala in front corners... For now it looks like this:

11/18/15-
I've been "farming algae" on rocks in a sunny window for the otos. Put this one in and took a picture in the morning (before tank lights were on). The otos quickly congregated on it.

Before mid afternoon they had eaten almost all of it! Quick work.

I don't have enough jars of rocks to give this to them every day, or even once a week- have to wait for more rocks to grow the algae and bio-film. It's more just a treat for them, once every other week or so.

11/19/15
Replanted some stuff into my tenner (out of the other tank). I threw away that last bit of cyperus helferi that was dying in the corner, and transplanted some vals there instead.

A few in the front corner on the same side, but it probably gets too much shade from anubias barteri and the substrate is very shallow there so not sure how they'll do.

I put some small trimmings of rotala indica around the fake skull. That one tiny bit of rotala in the background of this tank has not grown noticeably in months. I thought if something in these tank conditions keeps the rotala stunted, perhaps I could simply use that as an advantage and put it around the foreground.

Java fern is not doing well in my bigger tank for some reason. When bits come loose off the driftwood in there, I tie them down to the fake skull in here. They're doing better now.

More bits of windelov fern got moved over, too.

Last edited by JJ09; 01-23-2016 at 01:14 AM. Reason: highlighted dates
post #18 of 284 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Dec 2015

12/08/15
Duckweed continues to multiply, and so far is no trouble to maintain. Last week I noticed there were some pale, disintegrating leaves and I simply scooped those out when changing the water. Baby trumpet snails move up to the surface film and cluster in the duckweed floaters.
I like seeing how Oliver swims up from below the scattered cover of plants, to look for his food offering.

12/11/15
Vallisneria I planted seems to be doing well.

Pieces in the front tend to get uprooted, though.

I've stuck more rotala trimmings in here. They tend to come loose as well, I just leave in the ones that manage to hold on.

Looks better from the short end.

A few weeks ago I took a sheet of scrap plastic (off toy packaging) and laid it over the sliding top on the left side of the tank, blocking a bit more light above the main anubias. It seems to have helped, this plant is looking better. No more impulse to trim out algae-blackened leaves.

12/19/15
Went to the pet store. Found a pretty little horned nerite snail. A softer, golden brown color not the bold bumblebee black-and-yellow like most I see. And a ramshorn which I got for free.

12/20/15
I scraped spot algae off the inside of the glass on friday. I hadn't realized how much there was, and it's really hard stuff. So maybe the light is too strong still. I'd hoped the duckweed would screen some light out, but it's not growing that fast.

My water tested fine, but one of the otots didn't look so good after I cleaned the glass. The speckled gray one. He seemed to have a pale patch in front of the dorsal fin on one side. And tail fin seemed a bit degraded on the edge too.

I started doing extra water changes, taking care to siphon the bottom. Oliver's clouded eye came back. Crap.

He seems to like hanging out below the broad anubias leaves, lately.

And in terms of plants- I was so pleased the wisteria has doubled in height, even put out a few side shoots near the base. And the itty bitty windelov ferns seem to be getting a hold on the driftwood.

12/23/15
I was looking back on old photos and remembering how much better my tank looked, when there was less light- how nice and clean the anubias used to be. And the skull never had black smudges of algae all over it before, and the glass didn't used to get so gritty with BSA. Such nice healthy greens, just before the move and the new LED. I decided to cut the light coming into my tenner. I took that extra plastic panel off the sliding top and used it to block some light from side end, instead. (The tank is flanked on both sides by windows).

Nicer to have the sliding lid unobstructed again. I cut some plastic (recycled packaging from some item) into narrow strips just wider than the LED panel and taped them over it, with an extra layer or two on the left side above the anubias. I also put a sheet of white cardboard on the back of the tank.

Doesn't look very different, but I do hope it will improve things. I'm still dosing dry ferts (macros) and liquid micros on this tank; it usually has very low nitrates as so little goes in via fish food- I feed Oliver lightly and the snails and otocinclus eat what's naturally growing in there. I wonder about Oliver's overall health, now. He's always eaten great, looked fine, fairly active. Aside from occasional cloudy eye, he's never been sick or had any fin rot. But he's also never made a bubble nest... So is he content as I've always thought? Is he stressed at sharing a tank, in ways I can't discern? Or maybe he's just not interested in nest-building, never felt the urge. But his face is turning gray now, loosing color under the chin. My best guess he's probably two years old now.

The gray mottled oto looks better this morning after another partial water change- the pale patches on him gone (I think it was fungus) tail still a little ragged but I hope that heals up quickly.

12/26/15
My gray spotted oto died. I thought it was doing better. I was doing 20-25% water changes every day. The pale patches seemed to be gone. But it suddenly looked very skinny the day before yesterday, and then crashed on the tank bottom. Gone. Trying to think why that oto got fungus (or whatever it was). It seemed to happen after the last time I put an algae rock in the tank. I do rinse those windowsill jars out once a week and put new tank water in. I didn't think it was that scummy, but maybe something on there made the oto sick...?

I still have two, and they look fine.

I took a stone with windelov fern bits out of the bigger tank, moved it in here to the front corner that had vallisneria (put that in the back corner with the other vals).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Last edited by JJ09; 01-28-2016 at 05:53 PM. Reason: missing word

post #19 of 284 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Jan 2016

1/10/16-
Got some plants from the pet store (in pots). In the betta tank I put some ludwigia and bacopa stems in the background. They looked disheveled at planting time, but already today are standing up straighter and have nice color.

Seen from above-

I planted rotala rotundifolia, also called dwarf rotala. This one out of a gel packet. It's very small, the foliage is incredibly fine, and it was really hard to handle!

Lots of little stems in the front, now.

I also switched positions of the heater and sponge filter. I like the heater position better now- it's more hidden- but moving the sponge filter didn't have the effect I wanted. I thought its current would push the duckweed over to shade my anubias barteri, but its not really doing that.

1/11/16
I do enjoy overhead views, but it's really hard to get a good photo of it all. My patching job in photoshop is not so great- and here I took the pic of the right side at a different angle (to avoid a glare from window, even with the curtains drawn) so couldn't make it line up right.

Closeup of the left side- I'm really happy how my anubias barteri is looking. Shading its side really helped this plant.

On the right, I swear the fake skull is looking a bit whiter, maybe that nasty black algae on it is dying off now.

1/14/16-
Dwarf rotala in the tenner is not doing so great. A few pieces are holding on and their leaf size is increasing- but every day I find more floating on the surface. I thought it was caused by these guys (funny oto perching just past vertical on a bacopa caroliniana stem)

but saw something else- the little trumpet snails are elbowing their way down to eat the rotting bits off the dwarf rotala stems, and setting them loose from the substrate! They look a mess now. rotala indica on the other hand, is holding on and grown quite a bit.

I didn't expect it to become a favorite plant, but I keep admiring the little windelov ferns in here. Seen backlit with ambient light, their little fingers fairly glow

I took another full tank shot- it's kind of a mess right now and will look different tomorrow when I add more plants (a package coming soon!

1/16/15-
Received a plant package (did a swap) and put a sampling of each kind in here to see how they do. Creeping jenny (very small delicate stems)

Ludwigia repens- beside the other ludwigia that came from the store- did the commercial growers stuff that plant with hormones or is the new one just really really different growing conditions? so much smaller and narrow leaves.

Bacopa monnieri. I kind of ran out of room for new stuff in here so put this one in a midground area. Probably not the right spot, my guess is I'll have to move it later. In foreground is a bit more of that staurogyne repens (which I don't expect much of- I think it needs more intense light than what I've got)

Fissidens on the driftwood! This bare vertical end of the log is just where I've always pictured moss growing. I can already see keeping it clean might be an issue- I don't have shrimps to pick through it. I will probably have to keep it trimmed short and siphon the area clear of fine debris each time.

P. helferi downoi

Monte carlo. I did a terrible job of planting this. Root hairs sticking up all over. This morning bits of it floating loose. I can't get it to stay in the substrate. Not sure how much will take (or if I even want it, really).

I'd much rather keep the pennywort (I think it's hydrocotyle tripartita) if I can get it to take hold. I've seen pics of it flourishing in others' aquariums, and it's so pretty. You can barely see the runner stem here, which I've tried to weigh down with pebbles.

Bit of subwassertang on a rock.

Can't see much of them yet because most of the new plants are just little pieces still...

I had to move some plants to make room for the new ones. In particular, took out all the rotala indica from the front (since now I have species actually meant to be carpeting foreground plants) and put it behind the skull. It was a shame to pull up those indica stems because they had really taken hold! Lovely white roots on each one. I should have gotten a picture of that nice growth but couldn't stop in the middle of things to dry my hands for the camera.

The dwarf rotundifolia went back there, too. Discarded half of it and only replanted the best stems. So here you can see arranged behind the skull from left to right there's rotala rotundifolia (dwarf), rotala indica and creeping jenny.

End view:

Other notes- I removed the scuffed and dingy plastic panel from the other short end of the tank (blocking ambient window light) and replaced with a thinner plastic sheet that's more transparent. I hope it will continue to cut just enough to avoid the GSA coming back. I like being able to see clearly into that end of the tank again.

Ludwigias seem characterized by their aerial roots. Funny, I went to move a piece of this in the background, and found that some of those side roots coming out of the stem, were burrowing into the sponge of the little filter!

A little bit of windelov fern had come loose from the driftwood so I fastened it to the stone in the corner. Now there's three bits on there making a neat little cluster.

Anubias barteria is sending out a new leaf. Already it has 'walked' its rhizome nearly all the way off the driftwood moorings. Soon I will have to trim and retie it to keep in place.

I have found a good tool for cleaning hard GSA off the glass- promotional credit/membership cards, the fakes that come in mailers. They scrape nicely and are a bit flexible, easier to reach into corners and alongside plants than with the algae scrubber pad. Just have to be sure there are no infant snails on the glass- I accidentally made a scratch already. But my four-year-old noticed the difference after I'd cleaned some hard algae off: "Mommy, the tank looks so clean!"

|
|
|
|
post #20 of 284 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Up to Date

1/20/16-
Every morning now I've had to get into the tank with tweezers to replant what come unmoored again. I kind of expected to have carpeting plants float loose easily- the staurogyne repens and monte carlo. More frustrated that creeping jenny keeps coming up- its lower foliage quickly melting, new tiny leaves emerging at tips but not enough hold yet. I want that one to hold. (Not a single rotala stem has dislodged- their little roots are strong enough!)

Yesterday it was at the point that whatever I found floating was pretty much too decayed to try and put back. So picking out plant debris to discard.

Meanwhile took a few pics of other stuff that's doing better. Such as the anubias barteri unfurling its newest leaf.

Oliver came over to see what I was doing

Java fern busting out some real growth

Windelov fingers translucent to the light

1/23/16-
I got a few more buces- thanks to Ebi! -and there were enough I could try a few here in the tenner. Bucephalandra 'Isabelle' went onto the driftwood piece, sharing space with anubias barteria (who sacrificed a few older leaves to avoid shading her too much).

Small segment of buce 'selena' tied to a rock.

Even smaller bits of rhizome that were a long, trailing piece. Not sure which species. I think more 'selena'. Hello, trumpet snail!

A bunch of little 'blue bell' bits tied onto a rock.

Now this tank journal is current.

|
|
|
|
post #21 of 284 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Already I see response in the plants that went into my tenner a week ago. Some good, some not. Staurogyne repens and monte carlo gone (I'm not surprised). There are still a few little bits of plants in front of the skull, but I think they're stems of dwarf rotala that I missed when I moved stuff.

The pennywort is still here, and it even grew two new tiny leaves.

Bacopa monnieri came loose too. One piece too far gone to keep, the other two I replanted in a different corner.

Creeping jenny I am not sure if this one will make it. Bottoms of stems melting away and most go too quickly. By the time I get my hands back in the tank to replant loose stems, there's nothing substantial enough to grasp. I only have a few stems of it left.

Downoi also might be a goner- the stem broke off

Pegged it down with a lead strip, but I had to set it pretty deep in the substrate.

I am pleased with the ludwigias- a lot of the bigger pieces I bought as potted plant even still have their red top color. I wasn't expecting them to hold on to that.

The tiny repens one -here just under the oto- is growing new leaves and they are rounder than the original ones.

When I made the driftwood log in the thirty-eight all buces, plucked off the remaining java ferns (which don't seem to do well in that tank for some reason) and tied them onto the skull here. Some in the front over the teeth, some in the back.

After just a week the thread started disintegrating, so I had to refasten with rubber bands instead.

Quite a few of the little buces came loose again, too.

Went back to using rubber bands for those as well.

I don't want to keep shifting plants around, need to keep my hands out and just leave things alone now. But the ludwigias keep sending their aerial roots into the sponge filter, and I can't see bacopa caroliniana or watersprite for the jumbled mess they are with each other. So I moved one stem of ludwigia, moved most of the bacopa over against and behind it, and put the sponge filter further into the corner, between the wisteria and bacopa. Looks distinctive now and hopefully that keeps the roots out of the sponge.

Current full tank shot-

There are lots of tiny roundish snails in here now. Some look like pond snails, others I viewed under the microscope and they're definitely ramshorns. I took out the mother ramshorn. Because for some reason suddenly when I started seeing tiny baby snails everywhere I didn't want them. Trumpet snails are okay, but I don't want loads of pond snails or ramshorns too, and I didn't realize that until I saw them in there. I've scraped out two more ramshorn egg cases, gradually plucking out all the baby snails I find, and will bait with lettuce too.
doggo, doggo, PhelanVelvel and 1 others like this.

|
|
|
|
post #22 of 284 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Thanks for documenting all of this! And all the useful pics (hard to believe all this pics are coming from a 10 gallon! if only I had a half decent camera :P).

Surprised no one has offered feedback. Probably just one of those "Too Long Didn't Read" (TLDR) reasons as there are a bunch of pics (I only just skimmed over it myself). Asking in a shorter separate thread should round up some responses.

Well I'm no plant nutrition expert, but could definitely tell there was severe deficiencies going on (older pics). Glad you got them figured out though.

Didn't even see, but are you injected co2? If you aren't, how is the Downoi (Pogostemon helferi) doing now?
post #23 of 284 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
Thanks for documenting all of this! And all the useful pics (hard to believe all this pics are coming from a 10 gallon! if only I had a half decent camera :P).
Sure! I just happen to like taking photos. I have tons more I don't even share here.
Quote:
Surprised no one has offered feedback. Probably just one of those "Too Long Didn't Read" (TLDR) reasons as there are a bunch of pics (I only just skimmed over it myself). Asking in a shorter separate thread should round up some responses.
I do sometimes ask in an individual thread if I have a pressing question. Am still just mostly learning things as I go.
Quote:
Well I'm no plant nutrition expert, but could definitely tell there was severe deficiencies going on (older pics). Glad you got them figured out though.
Yes, well I'm one of those people who started out with just plain gravel & fake plants, then tried to add live plants later. Didn't know what I was doing. If it wasn't for this site, they'd all be dead! I think things are going better now, this tank certainly is doing a lot better than my other one.
Quote:
Didn't even see, but are you injected co2? If you aren't, how is the Downoi (Pogostemon helferi) doing now?
No I don't add c02. Somebody gave it to me, so I just tried it out. I'm not really expecting it to do well long-term, but as long as it's alive I'll leave it in there.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by JJ09; 01-30-2016 at 08:11 PM. Reason: typo
post #24 of 284 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm no longer loosing plants in here from melt or snails uprooting them, but have something else to figure out... why are some of the leaves wavy on the margins (anubias here)

and new growth looking distorted? It's happening to my ludwigia, alternanthera reineckii (if I have that one i.d. correct, not sure) and wisteria.

Lower wisteria leaves have holes too- I've caught some pond snails (not the nerite pictured) munching on them- not sure if they made the holes or just took advantage of a dying leaf.

Top part of this plant is okay

My first guess was too much micros, I cut back on the dose of that this week, to see what happens. My next guess would be an imbalance of mg and calcium- I think I need another test kit.

On a positive note I am really happy to report that the buces have new growth emerging in here- there are two visible new shoots on 'selena', I can see new roots growing and tiny new shoots on 'blue bell' and 'isabelle' as well (but can't manage decent pictures of them all).

The one plant I expected to loose this week was downoi- but it's still here and I swear it has a few more leaves than last time I took a pic.

|
|
|
|
post #25 of 284 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That may have been it- the micros. Noticed already that while last week's leaves still have their oddly twisted form, ones that emerged since friday, when I halved the micro dose, are straight.

I'm thinking now that maybe my tank water isn't deficient in mg after all- the other tank has same water source and I've never noticed the same leaf issues. Maybe this too, could be attributed to micros...

|
|
|
|
post #26 of 284 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Lots of growth now. New leaves on all the buces- 'selena' leading the way. I can see the emerging on other types too, but too small for a photo.

Watersprite is really filling up the back corner, seems to be growing wider rather than taller right now.

Hydrocotyle finally has some more leaves! So very small still.

I trimmed one of the ludwigia stems for the first time- might have to do the others next week. No more creeping jenny in here, the last little bits came loose- no roots had grown. Still some warped growth on that one ludwigia stem, and the anubias lanceolata has some pale leaves. Gave a bit less micros again this week- only 4ml.

|
|
|
|
post #27 of 284 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I think I may have actually got rid of all the ramshorn and pond snails in here. I had been picking them out regularly, now realize I haven't seen any for some time.

Gave some to my kid- she really wanted to try keeping snails in a fishbowl. I set it up for her with some substrate, elodea and hornwort trimmings, watersprite and that mondo grass I pulled from my thirty-eight. This was several weeks ago. She has it near a window. The bowl has no filter or heater, so it does drop to 60 at night, and so far she hasn't been doing water changes. I top it off with a bit of water from one of the tanks each friday. To my surprise most of the plants are still green, and although the trumpet snails seem to die off regularly (I give her ones I pick out of the aquariums every week) she has one ramshorn that's doubled in size.

|
|
|
|
post #28 of 284 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Last week I trimmed a lot of the stem plants in here- ludwigias and watersprite. I cut down entirely that one ludwigia stem that always had twisted growth on the new leaves. Trimming all those stem plants really changed the appearance of the tank. It went from this:

to this:

Side view even more dramatic. I cut and replanted some stems off the wisteria, so now I can see the little cluster of rotala behind the skull again.

See the fluffy bunch of subwassertang on the left in that pic above? I trimmed that, and fastened some of it to sticks (boiled twigs of sycamore soaked for two weeks) to see if it would work as something in the foreground.

Other end of the tank. I'm still puzzled what that small stem plant is, right in front of the driftwood. I thought it was a rotala because the leaves so much smaller than the ludwigia next to it- but the undersides are faintly purple like a ludwigia repens.

I thought I had got rid of all the pond snails in here, but found one more. Crushed it for Oliver. Here's a bonus pic of him cruising in the background, thorny sun nerite in the fore.

Other stuff of note: fissidens is taking hold! I like this pic because can see it in the center. Need to trim and spread more of it, right now have to look very close and hard to see the patches of it. Funny to see a bit of duckweed trapped under anubias leaf there on the right.

The duckweed pretty much covers all the water surface in here now. I actually scoop all of it out into a small bucket every maintenance day, so it's not sticking to my hands or tools while I work in the tank. Then at the end I dip it back out of the bucket and pour it all back in. It's funny to watch the little bits swirl down into the water and float up again like tiny parachutes. Quite a few get trapped under broad leaves on their way back up to the surface. I guess at some point I'll get tired of this plant, but not yet.

I took out the downoi plant. It came loose again and I saw there was only one tiny root hair, and no new leaf growth. I replanted it in the other tank, where the downoi are growing new leaves so must be better conditions for them in there.

This tank is so much more stable than my thirty-eight. Last week I put in a few root tabs, which bumped up my nitrates to 40. So this week I cut back on the ferts dose. Nothing seems too affected by this. The anubias lanceolata has paler outer edges of the leaves again, and the buce selena looks like it might be getting that symptom too. I'm not sure if it's because I skimped on the ferts dose, or maybe I need to give mg again, or it could be because I cut back too far on the micros- only gave 3ml this time, the week before it was 4ml- so maybe I've found the dose limit there. My bigger tank, on the other hand, suffers algae whenever I change something.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by JJ09; 03-12-2016 at 02:44 PM. Reason: typo fix
post #29 of 284 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Drip

I woke up this morning and looked over at my tank- there was a large drop of water creeping down the outside front corner. I jumped up to check- no moisture on the support surface, or under the tank so I don't think it was seeping very long. I dried the outer edge and looked in from below- hadn't noticed yesterday I filled the tank a bit too much and it was touching the edge of the rim on that corner. Siphoned out a bit of water until it was clear of the rim plastic, and dried off that corner. I could just slide a bit of toilet tissue up under the outer edge of the rim- I did this until it no longer soaked out water. It was a small thing, but a momentary yikes feeling.

|
|
|
|
post #30 of 284 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank leaks: the nightmare scenario of every fish-keeper...

I enjoyed reading this thread! You've done a fine job with the tank and are a good servant to Oliver. I hope he gives you a raise.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode