Planted Tenner (betta) now guppy tank - Page 19 - The Planted Tank Forum
 236Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #271 of 284 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looked in the 20H this morning and actually yelled in surprise: hey, more baby guppies! Two new fry. Didn't expect that. Counted on my fingers- it's been just about six months, so this should really be the last lot they're able to have. Seeing the fry prompted me to (carefully) do a tank cleaning, and move the babies into the mesh box (which has been empty for a while, but still in the tank).
Discusluv and zmartin like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 284 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Really beautiful guppies!

Journal

post #273 of 284 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

This tank is doing so well for me now, I hardly think about it. Feed the little guppies once a day, give it a water change and dose some vitamins once a week, done. Haven't used ferts in a long time. Only thing I don't like about it is how all the plants are similar height in the tank now- nothing reaches above midlevel- but buces are starting to grow atop the skull again so maybe that will help break up the evenness. Left side:

Right:

Someday soon I'll get a full tank shot again. I'd also like to keep a betta in here again (thus I haven't changed the title of the journal yet)- after the guppies live out their little lives, maybe.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|

post #274 of 284 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Corner shot, from across the room.

Guppies still doing grand. A few weeks ago I unplugged the heater during a water change and then forgot to plug it back in- for um, several days. Everything looks fine, though. I'm running the AC less this summer (two degrees warmer than I used to, at 74). I thought it would be hard on the plants, to have a temperature drop- the tank is usually now between 72 and 74, but it looks even better than before. The few rotala stems are greener, and the crypts are growing in thicker. So I think I will just keep as is (unheated) until fall when it cools off enough to quit using the AC. Or bump my heater setting down so it doesn't click on as much... . . .
Econde and doug105! like this.

|
|
|
|
post #275 of 284 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

At some point in the last week or so I lost a guppy?

I hadn't counted them in a while. Watching them yesterday while feeding I idly counted- and came up short. Counted again- yeah, now there's only eight. Don't know what happened- it's possible one got siphoned out while I was cleaning- but I always check the bucket afterwards for that. I suppose it died of something else and the snails cleaned up . . .

Ah well, I'm not very attached to these fish- their color is pretty but they're so small I don't discern individuals and never gave them names.

Here's a full tank shot from angle:
Econde likes this.

|
|
|
|
post #276 of 284 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 04:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Nice. With the plants being so low, the tank looks bigger in the pictures.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #277 of 284 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks, @Econde. Yeah, I'm glad that darker crypt in the back corner started growing taller to kinda break up the horizontal evenness of it. Would like to have floaters with roots that hang down, but none have worked out for me yet- frogbit died on me, the salvinia minima they stay short . . .
Econde likes this.

|
|
|
|
post #278 of 284 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 05:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Dwarf Watter Lettuce! When it starts to get bigger, it starts to root and root some more. It's so bright in the picture but Those are definitely Dwarf water lettuce on top with long roots draped inside the tank.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #279 of 284 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Tried that one too, once. Died on me just like the frogbit. I even put little circles of airline around them, because somebody told me they don't like being jostled by the current. It didn't seem to help.

|
|
|
|
post #280 of 284 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 08:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
Tried that one too, once. Died on me just like the frogbit. I even put little circles of airline around them, because somebody told me they don't like being jostled by the current. It didn't seem to help.
Awe man. Yea from my experience floaters do best in low flow setups. Or at least diverted flow. I had my canister filter turned way down. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #281 of 284 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yep, I have sponge filters running on airlines in all my tanks. So there's a decent amount of surface agitation. Hornwort does great (but I not my favorite how it looks), salvinia and duckweed struggle, frogbit and water lettuce just outright died. I haven't tried watersprite in a long time- used to grow that rooted. Maybe it would work? Hm.
Econde likes this.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by JJ09; 10-09-2020 at 09:21 PM. Reason: typos bug me
post #282 of 284 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 09:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
Yep, I have sponge filters running on airlines in all my tanks. So there's a decent amount of surface agitation. Hornwort does great (but I not my favorite how it looks), salvinia and duckweed struggle, frogbit and water lettuce just outright died. I haven't tried watersprite in a long time- used to grow that rooted. Maybe it would work? Hm.
Might be worth a try. Sucks when plants that everyone else grows doesn't work out for us. Ah well. Such is our hobby .

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #283 of 284 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ha, no kidding. You know what I can't grow, that's supposed to be easy? Java fern. And moss, I've tried several kinds, they all falter and die. My crypts and buces do great, though!
Econde likes this.

|
|
|
|
post #284 of 284 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

A few days ago I noticed one of my guppies wasn't feeding, but just hanging around at surface. Then was always in the corner by the heater-

and closer look saw it's very bloated. I fasted the tank two days and fed cooked pea bits after, but this one fish never ate any.

I moved it to a container with plants, because I didn't want the others to pick at it, if it's contagious? I thought about giving epsom salt bath, but then the fish lost eqilibrium, and the end was not long after.

So now only seven little blue guppies.

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode