Drews' 29gal planted - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Drews' 29gal planted

Hello everyone, this isn't my first aquarium but it will be my 1st planted tank Also I'll apologize now because I will have a lot of questions so I don't have to tear my tank up in the future.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this posting because it will be a journal but I'm also looking for lots of feedback. We're at the beginning of the journey (cycling is so close to being done I can taste it).

I'm using the drag & drop feature for pictures, if there is a better way could someone let me know? Photobucket maybe? Sorry about the pics I used my cell phone and I made the water cloudy messing with the driftwood.

Substrate is just black aquarium sand covered with a thin layer of black gravel. The seashell and rock are from my other tank, I put them in there to help seed some BB. So is the heater in the background, it will be replaced with a 200w submersible heater when I move my fish over. The HOB filter will also be replaced when I move my fish over (the 20 gallon will be turned into a sump for this tank).

The first 3 pics are me just trying to figure out how I want to place my driftwood. (1st time using real wood its been soaking in the tank while it cycled, most of the tannin leaching has stopped and the white growth is almost done). Any suggestions on placement? I like them all equally.

The 4th pic is my current 20 gallon the only fish I have so far are guppies, 2 nerite snails, MTS, and pond snails. I will be putting everything but the pond snails in the new tank. I'm also thinking about adding RCS (the main reason I picked black substrate).

The 5th pic is just a fake log that I can also use. I thought about trying to cover it in Java Moss if mine ever starts growing. (My Java Moss is that brown clump behind the Marimo moss ball in pic 4).

The lighting will be a 30" Finnex Planted+ 24/7 currently in the mail so hopefully it is here before the tank finishes cycling.
CO2 MIGHT happen in the future but not anytime soon. Going to make sure I can grow plants regularly before I start adding on more expenses.

TL: DR
Suggestions on DW placement?
*Can I add any fish besides RCS?
*I was thinking about some Willow Moss or something similar that I can put on the DW that will drape over is, any suggestions?
*I only dose with API CO2 booster, API Leaf Zone, and API Root tabs. I plan on getting dry ferts, I just have to pick someone to order from, any suggestions?
*My guppy fry love that plastic fake grass on the right side of pic #4, is there any plant I can grow a nice carpet with that doesn't require CO2 or an insane amount of moss?
*I'm open to all suggestions. Also let me know if you need better pics or different angles.

Thanks in advanced
~Drew~
P.S. my current plant list is in my signature.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

29g~ Guppies, Blue Pearl Shrimp & 2 Nerites
~ Amazon Sword ~ Anubias Congensis ~ Red Ludwigia
~ Duckweed ~ Dwarf Water Lettuce ~ Moneywort
~ Egeria Densa ~ Java Moss ~ Corkscrew Vals
~ Marimo Moss Ball ~ Salvinia ~Java Moss ~Pearl Weed
~ Red Sword Plant ~ Anubias Petite ~ Phoenix Moss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I ended up going with pic #1 for the DW setup. That way I (hopefully) can put some Willow Moss on the top and it might droop over the top. I don't know that's how I picture it. If Willow Moss won't work is there another plant that will droop over the top?

I also included a pic of the stand I'm using. It holds a 29 gallon at the top and my 20 gallon fits on the bottom. Does anyone think its a bad idea to keep a sump on the bottom bracing of the stand?

My light will be here Friday then I will start planting.
I'm thinking about using S. Repens for some type of ground cover but I'm unsure if that will work.

post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

This will be the layout i choose until I get my plants in the tank on Friday. I'm sure once I start placing plants things will get moved around.

On another note while testing my water today I had O ammonia but nitrites and nitrates were off the charts. I did a 50% water change since I read I want those numbers less but even after the water changes they were still off of the charts. I didn't touch the gravel or filter when changing the water.

To test my kit I then checked my tap water and my established aquariums both read 0 for ammonia and nitrites. Ammonia in the cycling tank has been 0 for a while I've been bumping it up to about 2 ppm daily with pure ammonia from Ace hardware. I was really hoping this cycle would be over Friday but I guess I'll just add my plants on Friday and my fish will have to hangout in the 20 gallon for a little while longer.

Tomorrow I will do another water change if the nitrites are still off the charts. I would calibrate my test kits but all of the steps I found online require having KNO3 on hand and I haven't purchased any dry ferts yet, and I haven't found a local shop that carries them so I'll have to order online and wait.

I also will be going to Home Depot tomorrow for buckets so I'll check and see if they have some kind of fertilizer possibly in the pond section?
I was looking at GLA ferts and I'm confused between E.I. and PPS. I just want some ferts that I can dose once a week after water changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	current.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	578321  

Last edited by Drewet88; 01-20-2016 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Ferts

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Alright got my light on Friday and moved the few plants that I had in my 20 gallon over. Then I filled my 20 gallon with a great bunch of duckweed, salvania, and dwarf water lettuce that I won on an amazing ROAK on here earlier in the week. I put some in the 29 gallon as well but I FILLED the 20 gallon.

Anyways this is what I've come up with so far for my tank. I'm going to replace that ugly in tank filter that's wrapped to protect my guppy fry with a sponge filter I'm jus trying to decide on if I should get 1 big one or 2 small ones to put in the corners. I'll also look at some plants to grab when I go to Petco/PetSmart now that I have my light.

The Anubis isn't tied to the DW I just have it wedged in an opening. The Amazon Sword is the little plant in the back left corner, I cut a lot of leaves off and some brown roots so I hope I didn't shock it too much.

Now I just have to figure out what other plants I should buy. I already know I want to find some Willow moss, Phoenix moss, and Flame moss For the DW. Any other suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2016-01-23.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	579993  

post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The wood would give more perception of depth if the front was near an end.
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the tip!
Does that mean I should just slide it over? Or is there more to it? I was wondering why everyone else 29 gallon on here looks so much roomier than mine but I just thought I bought a piece of DW that was too big.

post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewet88 View Post
Thanks for the tip!
Does that mean I should just slide it over? Or is there more to it? I was wondering why everyone else 29 gallon on here looks so much roomier than mine but I just thought I bought a piece of DW that was too big.
The more I look at I see why you put it in the position you did. I looks like a dog. Lovely piece of wood. Try moving it at different angles and take a pic to see if it makes the tank look bigger. The tank is 30in long?
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yea 30in. Thanks, I couldn't pass up the wood when I saw it, but I do kinda wish it was 2 separate pieces. I'll play around with it tomorrow, I'm going to grab some more stuff to add to the tank in the afternoon.

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully I can find a better angle for the DW.

post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Sorry about the cloudiness I disturbed a root tab when I decided to move my Amazon Sword and kinda rearrange the DW. I'll take a better pic tomorrow when it clears up a bit.

I added 3 plants of Downoi in front of the DW and planted a few of my Egeria that I had floating around while I wait for other plants to arrive. I ordered a bubble foam filter to replace the in tank filter that I have covered with that blue thing. I'm also thinking about adding a background, either black or mirror, I'll probably get both and decide which one I like from there.

I'm also adding flame moss and phoenix moss in a couple of weeks when I have some more extra money. Then I just need to find some weeping willow moss. After that I'm all out of ideas for plants to add. But, I would like to find something that can break up all of the green I'll have going.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2016-01-27.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	582018  

post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 05:38 AM
Planted Member

Dw looks a lot better. I feel like you need a tall bushy plant in the back left corner to hide the filter.
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That's just the filter for now. My other filter is in the mail and hopefully will be a lot more discreet. It's black and I'll be putting on a black background to try and camouflage it.

You're still right though I need something bushy back there but I have no idea what to get.

post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here's a new pic now that the dust has settled.

I'm thinking of trying Rotala rotundifolia, Red Tiger Lotus, or Cabomba Purple (Red) for some color and possibly Cryptocoryne Beckettii or Green Tiger Lotus. I just want to pick one from both groups, I don't know how many plants I can fit in there and take care of. Any suggestions out of those choices? Will they still look good in a tank without CO2 or high lighting?

O yeah please ignore the dirtiness of the tank. I'm going to start doing water changes now that I know my cycle is done, everytime I wipe off the stuff on the DW it comes back but its starting to be less and less.
Also any suggestions on a nice low profile powerhead for a 29 gallon?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2016-01-28.1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	582345  

Attached Images

post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 11:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (135/99%)
A couple suggestions...

1. Plants will need CO2 in order to thrive and also some fertilizer or root tabs or both. Look up how to do DIY CO2 and also dosing fertilizers in your tank here on TPT. A lot of good info out there
2. I would remove the air stone and look at getting a canister filter instead of a HOB.
3. Get a piece of 1/2" thick styrofoam insulation, cut it to the dimensions of the back of your tank and paint one side black. Attach it to the back of the tank. This will show off your fish and plants much better.

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
A couple suggestions...

1. Plants will need CO2 in order to thrive and also some fertilizer or root tabs or both. Look up how to do DIY CO2 and also dosing fertilizers in your tank here on TPT. A lot of good info out there
2. I would remove the air stone and look at getting a canister filter instead of a HOB.
3. Get a piece of 1/2" thick styrofoam insulation, cut it to the dimensions of the back of your tank and paint one side black. Attach it to the back of the tank. This will show off your fish and plants much better.
Thanks for the tips.
I currently use api root tabs, leaf zone, and co2 booster. I am going to order some dry ferts soon though.
My new filters are in the mail hopefully they're here soon. They will just be temporary, I'm hoping to add a sump so i can hide my equipment.
Thanks for the tips on the insulation, I'll be doing this one instead of the mirror background.

Any suggestions for canister filters in case I change my mind on doing a sump?

post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (135/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewet88 View Post
Thanks for the tips.
I currently use api root tabs, leaf zone, and co2 booster. I am going to order some dry ferts soon though.
My new filters are in the mail hopefully they're here soon. They will just be temporary, I'm hoping to add a sump so i can hide my equipment.
Thanks for the tips on the insulation, I'll be doing this one instead of the mirror background.

Any suggestions for canister filters in case I change my mind on doing a sump?
I use Fluval. Since that is a 29gal tank, a 304/305 would work fine. Check e-bay because sometimes you can get good deals for used ones.

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~

Tags
29 gallon, feedback, planted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode