Notippy's first planted aquarium(56k warning?) - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes
  • 8 Post By notippy
  • 2 Post By Melika

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Notippy's first planted aquarium(56k warning?)

Hey guys, newcomer here, first post!

I've been looking for a website to start up an aquarium blog, and i've been reading bits and pieces from this forum in the past few weeks to learn some tips and tricks. This site has been incredibly helpful, and i figured no better place to start my journal than here.

My tank is a 40g breeder, it has been planted for about a month and a half now, but was before an african cichlid tank. I cleaned out the cichlids, and started fresh. I did a large water change, and began planting some small plants. (At this pont, i wasn't too knowledgeable about plant species, so i kinda just started buying what i thought looked cool, heh. I later found out that dwarf hairgrass is a difficult plant to maintain, but since adding my DIY co2 setup, it seems to be taking well)

1.)

Now, the tank wasn't too pretty at this point. It had large brown algae buildup on the back and left sides, and also along the gravel line down bottom. I eventually picked up some oto cats (god damn, do they do good work) and some cory cats. Also, i'm not too sure of the dates i took these pictures, or if they're even in the correct order. Since i began this tank, I've done a couple re-plants, and reorganizing of the drift wood and such. I'll be more thorough and accurate in the future, but the beginning stages i'll just put up here for you guys to view.

2.]

So after tweaking the wood, i decided i wanted it to almost wrap around the back of the tank, sort of encircling the front part in front of it. This is what i came up with for now, albino cory's included. I also added another layer of finer substrate to help keep the dwarf hairgrass rooted. I also really like the black sand look, it makes the green in the plants pop alot more than before.

3.]

Just a closeup of the DHG and gravel.

4.]
Right after setting up my co2 generator, i later moved the diffuser and powerhead to the back of the tank to avoid the tiny bubbles from being distracting from the fish and plants behind it. (Also, keep in mind that in between some of these photos, more plants were added, but i've honestly lost track of which i put in, and when, heh.)

5.]

I believe this photo was taken right before i included 2 otto cats in with the cory's, as you can see on the back, there's quite a large buildup of algae. (Also, if you look closely, you can see a swipe through it where i begin cleaning it, and then said 'F-this!' and gave up because it was a real pain in the A to get back there with the tank lights and all that on top heh.)

6.]

My first amano shrimp! I picked up 3 of these little buggers, and upon introducing them into my tank, they immediately began eating all the brown that had build up on the leaves. These guys are hard workers, and i love them for it!

7.]

This is my most recent photo i've taken (Today, January 18th, 2016.)
As you can see, the water cleared up, and everything is thriving as of now. I can barely find any algae anywhere, so my little cleanup crew is doing a great job.

Stay tuned for more updates, as i will be doing a post atleast once a week to keep tracking my progress, and also, feel free to leave any comments and recommendations on what you think might look good!

Also, i have included below a link to a imgur gallery of animated GIF's of my tank, to help you guys see it in motion a little bit. Thanks for reading!

https://imgur.com/a/df0YM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 12:01 AM
Algae Grower

Nice looking start
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Question for you guys - the plant in the middle with all of the roots shooting out towards the ground, should i bury those roots? Or should i just let nature take its course and let it do what it wants?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 12:54 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks like your mother sword put out a runner and babies. You can cut them off and sell them, give them away, or plant them in another location. It's a happy plant! (if that's the plant you're talking about)
jag51186 and jag51186 like this.

Understanding the value of patience is only difficult while you are waiting.
- - - - -
You are angry because you are weak. It is more difficult to be kind.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melika View Post
Looks like your mother sword put out a runner and babies. You can cut them off and sell them, give them away, or plant them in another location. It's a happy plant! (if that's the plant you're talking about)
Thanks for the advice! I wasn't sure what was going on with them, but since you said to do that, I've propagated them and planted one in each of the back corners of the tank, hoping that they fill up a bit more of the backdrop. Another question for you (or anyone else with some input). I have another plant that I've included pictures of.The runner stems all the way to the top of the tank, and even breaches the water. Right above the waters surface is what looks like a tiny flower sprouting. Will this one eventually sprout roots that will allow me to cut and replant also?

(Also, sorry, i'm not sure of the name. If anyone is able to identify it and let me know the name, i'd appreciate it. Thanks!)

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
It looks kind of like a cryptocoryne to me. For some reason I thought they only flowered when grown emersed, but I could very well be wrong. At any rate, with a sword plant sending out runners and another plant flowering I'd say you have some pretty happy plants growing in there. Nice work!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33pVI View Post
It looks kind of like a cryptocoryne to me. For some reason I thought they only flowered when grown emersed, but I could very well be wrong. At any rate, with a sword plant sending out runners and another plant flowering I'd say you have some pretty happy plants growing in there. Nice work!
Thanks! I've been an aquarium keeper for many years now, but this is my first attempt at a planted tank. I always knew how much fun it was to watch the fish, but i had no idea how much fun it would be to watch the plants mature over time. Looking forward to updating this journal the whole way through. Also, i'll do some research and try and narrow down exactly what plant species this guy is. thanks again.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey guys, it looks as though the plant that began shooting out that runner / flower is sending out another one, and i believe maybe a 3rd is starting to grow also. I'm still looking to identify this plant so i can learn more about it, i purchased it locally at petco, but i can't remember for the life of me what it's called. I've included a video showing a side view of my tank, including the plant in question.

https://youtu.be/kgryMXOdhdY

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode