Many Male Bettas In 55 gallon Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Many Male Bettas In 55 gallon Tank

THIS EXPERIMENT WAS REVIVED, PLEASE SEE POST 44.
THE SECOND TEST HAS ENDED, PLEASE SEE POST 62

January 16, 2016

After watching a Youtube video showing 28 male bettas in one 55 gallon tank, I decided to test it out.

The Inspirational Video: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxb...rQUj9MqBMxKnTA

So yesterday I bought 5 male bettas and put them in my 55g. Very interesting so far. At the very beginning, when they were put in the tank, two went to a corner and started fighting. Rolling together type fighting, and I thought the worst. But after about 1 min. of fighting for the corner of the tank, one retreated. That was that. The others have had minor chases, but no more 'rolling together' fighting. It has been almost 24 hours. They seem to know they don't have to fight since they are no longer in a small space. I do have parameters in this test:
*This tank also has 6 rummy nose tetras and three cory's. I figured the tetras would be a nuisance like the angelfish is in the original posted video. Keeps the Bettas' minds on something besides each other.
1. 55 Gallon Tanks
2. Only halfmoons & Split Tails (for now, but this may change)
3. Only small (maybe up to approx. 4 months old?)
4. Only pastels & blue/greens, no solid reds
5. Lots of hidey holes and floating plants on surface
6. Super clean water (I could probably drink it! :{)
7. 78-80 Degree F
8. Watching almost constantly (except when sleeping and all lights out)
9. Net STanding By to pull fish out if necessary and two 10 gallon medical/triage tanks ready (along with bowls if I have to separate all 5 fish.
10. Friends willing to take the fish and give them a good home if it all doesn't work out.
11. Bottle of gin.

January 17, 2016

So here is my video after about 24 hours with 5 male bettas in my 55g:
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQaj5WkvtLk

I floated a piece of coir on the surface. I'm using the betta logs to hold it up so it doesn't sink over time so much. On top I have grasses, creeping jenny, water lettuce, crypts, anubia, and a parlor palm that may take hold. I guarantee the bettas will be up on top of it by the end of the night! Neat, Huh?

Last edited by AWolf; 03-10-2016 at 11:15 PM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 12:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

Maybe try with other colors? I saw in your other thread that the woman had fish other than pastel colors mixed together.

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
Maybe try with other colors? I saw in your other thread that the woman had fish other than pastel colors mixed together.
I will be doing that eventually. My experience with Bettas has me believing that the pastel bettas are a little less aggressive. I don't really have specific instances, but overall, it has been my experience. It appears she has a large amount of pastels, and no solid red or blues. She also only has halfmoons from what I can see, and she states one veil tail. There are sources that state the veils and solid colors, crown tails and many other conformations can be more aggressive. So it will be interesting to find out. Thanks!

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Strange how they hate red....

I have some super red platys, they have learned to steer well clear of my male betta. He turns into a bull when he sees red.... ironic, as he is red himself.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

January 18, 2016

The two Bettas that fought the first day are doing fine. A little fin torn, but eating and show no more signs of stress. The betta that was breathing so hard in the video is fine. (Red Belly) There is some chasing. There is some wiggling up against each other in tight spots in the coir as they pass without any worries. They love the coir, and wedge themselves into it and just relax. Another betta can roll right over the wedged betta and it doesn't seem to care. I watched as one betta dug himself into the coir and then twisted his head back up so his tail was holding him down in the coir. Looked like a snake sticking it's head out of a hole. He stayed like that for a while, just watching the world go by, eventually wiggling out quickly to swim.

Algae is covering the plants that are shaded too much by the floating plants, but I am keeping those plants/mats in the tank because they have beneficial bacteria. This tank was completely gutted and the substrate taken out earlier this week. So I placed coir and plants from grow out tanks and other fish tanks to help supply that bacteria and nutrient absorption. I'll clean it up over the next few weeks. The fish like to graze on green algae. Water changes will be approx. 50% every three days, slowly changing to approx. 20% every three days, over the next month. That should ensure healthy water while the bacteria grows with the bioload. It will be a test to my ability, however, because I plan on stocking this tank quickly with more bettas to replicate the '28 Male Betta' tank video. The rummy nose tetras will be my water indicators. They cannot live without very good water, and will begin to die off quickly should the water quality deviate from 'excellent'.

Many of the bettas at the LFS are adult sized, so I am not buying them. It will probably take a month or two to get a full tank of bettas. I am not sure that I am willing to put 28 bettas in a tank. Maybe 15 will be enough to prove or disprove the '28 Bettas' long term compatibility. Although, it may be the crowded tank that keeps them from fighting. In the '28 Betta' videos on YT, she states she adds some Bettas individually over time. I am assuming she also adds two or three at a time when she finds them at her LFS.

Test Parameter Comparisons:

28 Male Betta YT Video Tank:
1 UV Light
3 Cannister Filters
1 Bubble wand
Many Plastic Plants
Some Caves
1 Angelfish

My Test Tank:
1 UV Light
1 Diatom Filter run after adding fish/plants and during cleaning 2x/week
1 Bubble wand
Many Floating and some rooted plants in Coir
Three Betta Logs & Coir to hide in
6 Rummy Nose Tetras
3 Albino Corydoras

Last edited by AWolf; 01-18-2016 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Edit
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a betta heaven. I never though of using coir that way.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 04:50 PM
Algae Grower

I used to keep two Dwarf Gouramis in a 20h with some Neon Tertas. When I first got them, everything was fine and they would even swim together. I thought everything was fine because I got them from the same tank at the local LFS. After about 4 months one of the fish started harassing the other. At first it was just at feeding time, but then after about another month I had to separate them because the dominant fish would harass the other constantly. Moral of the story is to keep an eye on things.
AWolf and AWolf like this.
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

January 18, 2006 Evening

Now there are 8 male bettas in the 55g. I added two split tail, one halfmoon and one crown tail. The crown tail was banished from the tank within two hours. He hunted everything and everyone in the tank. All of the fish hid under whatever they could find, while he flared and flashed everything. So he is going to find a singular home. The split tails and halfmoons are doing well, not chasing or flaring much at all. Two of the new bettas are blue and blue/green. They are not showing much aggression at this point. The video shows the crowntail betta often flaring and chasing every other betta. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTAObdxLkyU

Banished Betta:
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I love experimentation, but I would recommend somewhat of a slow down on the additions. Just hate to see you end up with 18ish Bettas and all of a sudden the whole thing breaks down and you have to separate the whole crew.

Plus it'd be nice to see multiple days/weeks go bye with just the general crew doing their thing peacefully.

St. Louis, Missouri
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Interesting. I guess halfmoons really are less aggressive.
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Citrus View Post
I love experimentation, but I would recommend somewhat of a slow down on the additions. Just hate to see you end up with 18ish Bettas and all of a sudden the whole thing breaks down and you have to separate the whole crew.

Plus it'd be nice to see multiple days/weeks go bye with just the general crew doing their thing peacefully.
Makes sense. However, the chance that the bettas will establish territories before I can add enough to prove or disprove the long term community idea could jeopardize the test. I believe the '28 Betta' tank was stocked quickly, with just a couple added here or there afterwards. By then, the crowded tank doesn't offer much room for territorial fights. The same philosophy works with stocking tanks with other types of aggressive fish. More spreads out the aggression . So I wanted enough fish to start this test. At this point, I will slow down. I just want to give it my best shot. I had friends in my house tonight watching this tank, and they were amazed. Thanks!
post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by randym View Post
Interesting. I guess halfmoons really are less aggressive.
It may be that after they are bred, they are just as aggressive as the others. I have a male halfmoon that I bred, and he was put into the tank, and taken back out within 2 hours as well. He was just like the crowntail tonight. So maybe older, and/or bred males are not a good choice for this setup. The '28 betta' woman said she got them all young, so probably never bred, and that may make all the difference. Another experiment for another time!
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I had a tank with females a while back, one was super aggressive, I floated her for a week in a floating breeder box, she eventually calmed down and fit in with the others. I remember reading somewhere to re arrange the tank and add them slowly back in, in the order of least aggressive first then most aggressive last. Not sure if this might help trying with males, but just my own experience.
Good luck with this experiment.

Askhole :

Someone who asks for advice, then does the exact opposite.

post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Buddha View Post
I had a tank with females a while back, one was super aggressive, I floated her for a week in a floating breeder box, she eventually calmed down and fit in with the others. I remember reading somewhere to re arrange the tank and add them slowly back in, in the order of least aggressive first then most aggressive last. Not sure if this might help trying with males, but just my own experience.
Good luck with this experiment.

Thanks! Yea, I won't be using any tricks to make them get along other than keeping them as safe as I can by pulling any highly aggressive betta while testing.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by randym View Post
Thanks for the update. Sounds like a betta heaven. I never though of using coir that way.
I'm really loving coir. It is a bit messy, leaving some stuff on the bottom of the tank, but I net it out before running filters for cleaning.
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 10:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Following this one

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode