Ayuquila River 40 long Ilyodon furcidens tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ayuquila River 40 long Ilyodon furcidens tank

I am in the early stages of gathering equipment for this tank, but I'm super excited!

History: I've had a large group of Ilydon furcidens for several years now. They were in my community tank and doing fine with the dwarf cichlids and other fish, but then they tried to descale my giant goldfish (long story), so I decided they needed to be taken out. I have them in a 29 bowfront for right now, but they are so pretty and I want a tank that is more representative of where they come from in Mexico. So... when our ancient milk snake passed away last month (I only cried A LOT), I was going to give the tank away. Then I realized tonight as we were moving it to the garage that it would be perfect for the goodeids (it's an aquarium -- not a reptile terrarium). Thus, another tank build was born...

Equipment:So far, I have a...
40-gallon long tank, tacky black rim, but who cares
Fluval 404 filter (may decide on something different)

Need:
Pool filter sand
Pea-gravel representative of what you might find in the Ayuquila; the stuff in their current tank might do the trick, though
A few smooth "boulders"
A couple of pieces of driftwood

Planned plants:
Potamogetons (need to do more research to find out which grow in that region. Can get Potomogeton natans out of a river near my parents' house when I visit NM again)
Watercress or other nasturtiums species native to the area (will probably grow it in a riparium planter along the back)
Bacopa monnieri
Wedelia trilobata
Other marginal plants that I find through further research

I'll update this once I've gotten the tank cleaned up and the PFS purchased. Then the fun of hardscaping begins!!!

Last edited by JennieEilerts; 01-17-2016 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Adding plants

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode