The Planted Tank Forum banner

20H Revamp - New pics 6/11 pg 4

Tags
20h goldfish
10K views 58 replies 14 participants last post by  Roshan8768 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, even though I have not posted much I have been on and about this forum drooling at your wonderful tanks. I am an experienced fish keeper, but am very new to plants. However, I have always had some plant or another under my stock lighting hood. Naturally, you can imagine that nothing stayed alive for very long, and I was wasting money. About 2 years ago, a salesperson at my LFS told me that I just had the wrong spectrum bulbs. This is when disaster struck for the final time, and I did my homework. I have not taken pictures of my tank regularly, but here are some for reference (at my total lack of skill :icon_smil) Keep in mind that all of these pics are from this year (can't find anything else). I almost regret not having pics from my first year, now that was truly pathetic:flick:

Edit- a pic of what my tank looks like today 06/11/14 check out the later pages to see an actual planted tank :icon_roll:smile:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Great looking tank! What is are its spec's (subtrate, lighting, CO2, ECT)?

#4 ·
specs are as follows:
20 gallon high
penguin 100 hob
stealth heater
moonlight sand for substrate
plants:
java fern, anubias, anachris, hornwort
fish:
boesmani rainbows, australian rainbows, rtbs, 2 baby goldfish

#5 ·
wadesharp ~I think that wpg gallon is important, and tank height is a factor but there is no definite rule?
Anyway, after research I have decided on the glo lighting system from hagen. This setup (double strip t5ho) would allow me to use one bulb if required so that I can go low tech if i run into too many problems with co2. After much pleading and begging with my parents, we went to the lfs and bought the fixture. However the annoying owner did not have the life glo bulbs that I needed, and I wouild be losing money if I didnt buy the bulbs he offered (marine glo & power glo). I guess I'll try to trade the marine glo bulb elsewhere. Nevertheless, the new lighting looks fantastic, very different from the stock lighting.

#6 · (Edited)
T5HO lights are really strong. You might want to try DIY CO2. Hope you can find the bulbs!

#7 ·
DIY co2 will be on the way as soon as I get the bulbs of the correct spectrum. However, I am wondering if the plants would be able to use the power-glo bulb (18000 k)? I threw in some hornwort to prevent algae problems and I saw some pearling today. Does this mean that they can use some of the light?

#8 · (Edited)
Pics

Here are some pics of the christmas present:icon_bigg. But with the wrong stinking bulbs :angryfire.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
More pics

And....here are some pics with the new light. Huge difference, especially in the colors of the fish, pics dont do it full justice.

Attachments

#14 ·
I thought that plants grow best under something between 5000-10000 k
When dealing with nature nothing is written in stone. Nature is fickle. Just keep an eye out for algae on the plants. If you don't get algae in 3 months then the eco-system is balanced. This what I learned from Homer_Simpson. Also according to Tom Barr plants adjust to what ever light they have. They just won't grow the way you want them to if they don't have the optimum light, as trees in the winter. I and others have found that when the plants are growing well algae does not. My theory is that is like crab grass. If something good is not growing in an area the algae starts taking over. Thus some add some floating plants to control algae, like Hornwort.

I think the power glo will be okay, too. Since the spectrum of the light is higher than needed the plants will grow faster and need more nutrients.

A good complete plant fert is CSM+B or Seachem Comprehensive Flourish. CSM+B is a dry fert that will last longer the Seachem which has water in it. Dry ferts can be bought on line from Aquarium fertilizers store.

I know the actinic doesnt help, but will probably take my time replacing it as it brings out the colors of my rainbows quite nicely.
Now you got me thinking of turning my actinic light on for my Neon Rainbows look pail.

Actinic have a reputation for growing algae but I have seen a few use them on a planted tank. Read that starting out with 5 hrs of low light is best to not encourage algae growth.

If you don't get many responses, which is the norm now, contact Tex Gal. She lives in Texas, very experienced, and very kind.

#13 ·
I think you might be right because the plants that I have right now are flourishing (4.5 inches of growth on hornwort in a week & 3 new leaves for Anubias nana). I know the actinic doesnt help, but will probably take my time replacing it as it brings out the colors of my rainbows quite nicely.

#15 ·
Had first major trim, and moved hornwort throughout tank. Also added a ruby red melon sword. I was thinking about taking the top of my aquarium bcz I like the open top look:icon_bigg, but will my rainbows jump? I have 2 2.5 inch long Australian rainbows & 4 1.5 inch long Boesmani rainbows.:confused:

#16 · (Edited)
Update 1/10/10

So I saw a couple of tansk and really liked the contrast of white sand with black gravel. Here are the pics before and after.

Attachments

#19 ·
You guys are absolutely right, but they are only in the aquarium in the winter. They spend the summer in my pond (4 foot diameter).

#20 ·
Update 2/06

Update:
Added some plants Giant Hygro, Ludwigia repens, and Micro sword
The Micro sword was a complete flop, as it did not root when I cut it up to plant it.
Growth is not apparent, but I guess it will come with time.
Have a small diy CO2 set up connected yesterday, and it is producing maybe 1 bubble per minute.
Unfortunately, the tank appears to be very cloudy today. Any ideas as to why?:icon_conf
Pics coming soon!!!!:icon_cool

#21 ·
So, long overdue update...pretty bummed out by all thats happened. First I got gw as soon as i started my diy co2, and it refused to go away. My boesmanies all died overnight due to a combination of co2 poisoning and a heater malfunction, but all my other fish were fine until I lost my 7 year old male checkered bow. After all of this a hydrogen peroxide treatment finally got rid of my gw. I proceeded to add neons only to watch them drop befor my eyes. Of the 12 that I BOUGHT I got 1 SURVIVOR!!! {she's doing fine}. Through the chaos, my ludwigia grew and has some deficiencies, prob. will trim soon

#23 ·
You should try investing in a freshwater test kit such a api's. it test's lots of things such as ph, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, ect.. also.. you could purchase gh/kh phosphates seperately. It's one of the best things you can do for your fish, that way you have an idea of what's going on inside your tank and can possibly help you out with your problems.

#24 ·
Update w/ pics

The tank has cleared up nicely, and is the best it has looked in a few months. This is probably because i upped the flow in the tank, by adding a penguin 100 in addition to the tetra whisper. The most noticable problem I am seeing is that the ludwigia repens has poor quality growth, with twisted leaves that often have tears and holes. I have tabs in the substrate, but do you have any input on a fert regimine? I need to get some more plants and fish, so any suggestions would be appreciated. So.... here are the pics.:hihi:

Attachments

#26 ·
Alright guys, here's an update... I am basically over my hardcore planted tank phase, spend most of my time on my reef aquarium these days. I maintain this tank to house my tropical fish that spend the summer outdoors in my pond. I am running an Eheim 2213, with a Maxijet for additional flow.

Current stocklist:
2 x Fantail Goldfish
1 x Peppered Cory Catfish
1 x Male Black Lyretail Molly

Currently outside in the pond, will be brought back inside come October:

2 x Pearl Gourami
10 x Zebra Danio

As you can tell, there aren't really that may plants in here anymore. There is very little substrate in here as the goldfish love to dig and get the sand everywhere, thereby irritating the impeller of my filter for hours on end making it noticeably louder. Right now there is about 1" of pool filter sand in the area that has the vals. There is a fair amount of anubias nana on the driftwood, as well as some java fern. The rest of the tank is left open for swimming room and is covered with either large stones or 1 cm of the pool filter sand.

#27 ·
Got a used Eheim 2213 for 40, and added a couple of plants. I have also added a lot of the old substrate back in.

Hopefully I can get this tank to the point where it deserves the description semiplanted haha :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.