2Likes
  • 4 Post By Charoozz520

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Joining the 12G Mr.Aqua Club

Hello Everyone,

So ever since I saw this tank I have been in loved with it and seeing how marinedepot had a sale I couldn't resist.

I still haven't decided what fauna to keep in this tank but I am thinking probably a school of espei rasboras if I can track them down here in the city.

So here is what I have so far as specs go:

Tank: 12 gallon Mr. Aqua

Filter: Toms Rapid Mini Canister (switching to Eheim as soon as I can)

Lighting: Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 (Most likely will need to hang this on the ceiling since every one has told me the PAR is way too high for such a shallow tank)

Plants:
Alternanthera reineckii mini
Limnophila Aromatica
Rotala spp bonsai
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Utricularia graminifolia
Vesicularia ferriei
Anubias Bonsai

Tank arrived in perfect condition, marine depot really packaged it well:

The Manzanita branches I ordered from blooms and branches:
(P.S If anyone in the New York area are looking for some, I still have a 12-14" one left over that I didn't use)

Also picked up about 10lbs of ruyoh stones to go along with the manzanita.

Hardscape:

And then the fun part, planting!

Waiting for my aquatek regulator to come in the mail, it won't be here till next week so should I do a simple DIY co2 for now till it arrives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Is that a green yoga mat (from the wii exercise stuff possibly)? I cut one of those up to use under my 55g and pico tanks, great for keeping water spills/splashes off the tables ^^
Also what the plant in the larger pot behind the tank? Orchid?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'd limit the amount of light and wait for the regulator rather than risk starting a hair algae outbreak due to unstable CO2 levels...

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes that was a left over yoga mat not sure if it is from the wii though, just found it in the attic and figure I'll put it to use.

And good eye yes, I have an Orchid, Nepenthes and a blooming cereus behind the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Is that a green yoga mat (from the wii exercise stuff possibly)? I cut one of those up to use under my 55g and pico tanks, great for keeping water spills/splashes off the tables ^^
Also what the plant in the larger pot behind the tank? Orchid?
Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
I'd limit the amount of light and wait for the regulator rather than risk starting a hair algae outbreak due to unstable CO2 levels...
I am going to lower the light levels and only have it on for 5-6 hours currently on the timer. Do you think that would be okay for now?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 05:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have this same light and tank, and I'm currently fighting the algae war. I'm currently trying to come up with a way to move the light higher so I can leave it on the 24/7 cycle. I'm also upping my ferts hoping the plants can out compete the algae.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by davinci27 View Post
I have this same light and tank, and I'm currently fighting the algae war. I'm currently trying to come up with a way to move the light higher so I can leave it on the 24/7 cycle. I'm also upping my ferts hoping the plants can out compete the algae.
I think I might just have to hang the light from the ceiling, I really like the 24/7 function and how the tank looks with it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 06:19 PM
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...

PTrader: (470/100%)
Welcome to the club! Don't forget to OFFICIALLY join here. Introduce yourself, etc

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...-see-here.html

¸¸·´¯`·.¸¸. ...¤¸¸.·´¯`·..¸.·Miss My - I'm 28 - Pharmacist.....۩۩๑๑۩۞۩๑
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

One week update:

Regulator is setup and I been dosing Marcos and Micros everyday:
Running into some algae problems but so far so good:

Brolly33, Brolly33, doggo and 1 others like this.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Great setup, I love the hardscape.

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

-
-
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 09:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I too like your hardscape, it's got a nice left to right "flow" to it.

You will fight algae with that much light unless you really push your CO2 and ferts to "outgrow" it with plant mass.

I settled in on a Lifegard Aquatics 36" (R800052) and have been very happy with it for the last 7 months. (Marine Depot has them on sale right now for sub $60 - RB31585). I run it directly over the tank with no traces of algae (low CO2 and low ferts).

IT Professional
Shrimp and Plant Amateur
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey Everyone, sorry that I haven't update a while. Been battling algae issues in my 7 gallon nano. Surprisingly I really don't have much issue with algae in the 12 gallon even with the planted 24/7. I added an extra tetra filter on the other end of the tank so I get better waterflow and ever since the plants has been growing in really nicely. The tank needs some trimming but overall I am really enjoying this tank.

And here is one of its inhabitants, apistogramma trifasciata:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode