Buddha's corner HMF shrimp build - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Buddha's corner HMF shrimp build

Just thought I'd share a new little project. Planning on giving some CRS a go. It's a small 8g I believe. I built a quick and easy corner HMF, installed a substrate guard so if I need to remove the sponge the substrate stays put. Lighting is a 16" original fugeray at 14" from the substrate.

The last time I ran this light with the legs on this tank it was an algae farm. According to this https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/14...-par-data.html I won't have enough light, but I can always lower the light some.
Hoping it will be enough to do low light at this height.

Using aquasoil for the first time, still leaching ammonia.

Cheers

Askhole :

Someone who asks for advice, then does the exact opposite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bump

Any advice on scaping this low light?

Askhole :

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 01:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Moss, lots of moss, if i am not mistaken, alot of stuff grows on moss and the shrimp eat it.

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 04:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I am planning a DIY MOH* ~8 gallon tank and if the thing ends up holding water I will be installing a corner mattenfilter and using ADA AS if I decide to stock it with shrimp as well. Very interested to see how your tank turns out. Subscribed!

I am going to use a weedy moss infesting my tank to cover various leftover sticks and tank will basically be a mini-me of the big tank. The mattenfilter reminds me of the black peninsula overflow on the big tank that now seems to belong because I have 'roots' growing from it so that will be the scape's shape. For texture contrast I will be investing in some Anubias 'Petit' and probably stick some Marsilea runners in as well just because it seems a waste not to have rooted plants in ADA AS.

*Materials On Hand

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Kathy, I used the clear corner guards from Home Depot to retain the sides of the sponge. Trimaco 1-1/8 in. x 1-1/8 in. x 4 ft. Plastic Corner Guard - Commercial-01184G - The Home Depot
Just be sure to get the ones that are to be nailed on, not the self stick ones that have 2 sided tape already applied.

Be sure to dry fit all equipment going behind it so it's just the right size.

The gravel guard was real easy, and makes cleaning the sponge much easier by keeping substrate out of the filter area. (if necessary)

When you silicone the corner guards shim them enough off the bottom so you can slide some paper or cardboard under neath them.
Once silicone is dry, slide a piece of paper or cardboard under them right up into the corner, install the sponge, then trace the contour of the sponge on the paper with a marker. You now have a template to bend your gravel guard. Take a piece of whatever you will use for your gravel guard ( I used a 1/16 piece of acrylic I had lying around ) and heat it up to make the bend. I used a torch and a full can of pop to form the bend. The can had the exact radius I needed. Be sure it is a little longer than needed, then trim it to the right length when it cools down by using your template as a guide. Silicone that in place and you're done.

Just thought I'd share the way I did it because it made it super easy.

Askhole :

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Nice project! Looks like a professionally made product. I've been wanting to try a HMF on a river tank build. Is that pieces of glass holding the sponge form in place I see (don't see much, if any silicone though)?

But does anyone foresee shrimps climbing up the sponge wall and out the tank being a problem?

I've heard of shrimp climbing out of tanks, but not sure if that is only due to water quality reasons. I suppose you could just trim down the sponge a bit if that is the case, though some shrimp might go on the other side of the sponge.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
Nice project! Looks like a professionally made product. I've been wanting to try a HMF on a river tank build. Is that pieces of glass holding the sponge form in place I see (don't see much, if any silicone though)?

But does anyone foresee shrimps climbing up the sponge wall and out the tank being a problem?

I've heard of shrimp climbing out of tanks, but not sure if that is only due to water quality reasons. I suppose you could just trim down the sponge a bit if that is the case, though some shrimp might go on the other side of the sponge.
The plan is a glass cover, sitting on the inside of the rim on those clips you can get for rimless lids.

I used black vinyl tubing on the pump, you don't even see it with the black sponge.

I used clear silicone on the corner guards and on the bottom of the substrate guard, as well as where the ends of the guard meet the bottoms of the corner guards. I used minimal silicone for a clean look. There's no extreme pressure on the guards, the water stays the same level on both sides of the sponge, it doesn't have to be sealed like an overflow.

The sponge can be trimmed as needed, I left it a little higher so I could adjust once I get my clips in the mail.

Askhole :

Last edited by The Big Buddha; 01-14-2016 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Fix
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 09:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Thanks for the details, it sounds like I could actually do all that and I have quite a bit of thin acrylic sheet laying around. Maybe I'll even try bending it so I don't have to buy anything. Love my heat gun! Might get on that now as I am having to wait for the tank silicone to cure anyway. It looks neat and should stay neat looking over time too.

River Bank

MOP* Nano

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode