Fluval Edge 6g, Santa's present to the kids. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Edge 6g, Santa's present to the kids.

I had an aquarium when I was younger and another aquarium when my wife and I were still dating. It had been nearly 8 years since my last aquarium. So when the kids asked Santa for a fish tank, I was very excited; for them of course!

My previous tanks have been mostly decorated with plastics and maybe one or two plants here and there. So this time around, I really wanted to aim at a moderately-heavy planted setup. Yet keeping things lo-tech. This is my journal for it.

Set it up on Christmas with the kiddos. We asked Santa not to provide fish so that if they die, they are not associated with the old guy.

The following day we went to a LFS and bought our starters. I have a 4yr old and a 1yr old, so having to wait 2 weeks to cycle the tank was an impossible thing to explain when you're at a LFS. So we ended up leaving with 1 fish.

Gravel: forgot will update later
Flora: 1xAnubias Barteri, 3xAmazon Swords, Java Moss on top of drift wood
Fauna: Albino Corydora Catfish, Assassin Snail (came with the gravel)

Finally finished cycling for 2 weeks and we went out and made some additions. My 4yr old's favorite rock is sand stone, so we ended up getting one to add into the landscape.

Added: Sandstone, 2xMarimo Moss Balls, 2xAlbino Corydora Catfish, 4xNeon Tetras, 2xGold Dust Sailfin Mollies, 2xGhost Shrimp
I'm pretty much at capacity at this point.

That night my wife made these magnetic cards that my kids use to identify the Floras and Faunas in the tank. They really enjoy looking at the pictures, looking for the fish/plants, and learning about them.

A couple of days later, I started noticing some typical new tank brown algae on the leaves nearest the light. So I took the kids to another LFS to check out the place and to get myself an otocinclus. I know I'm way above capacity at this point and y'all are probably going to castrate me for this. They were out of otos so they had me pre-order it and left the store with an Amano Shrimp. I promise, I am not adding anymore and I told the kids that if I add anymore fish they'll start killing each other. I also left with some Dwarf Hair Grass and 2xCabomba Caroliniana and a Cryptocoryne Parva. Went home, did 50% water change and here is where I am now.

Flora:
1xAnubias Barteri
3xAmazon Swords
Java Moss
2xMarimo Moss Balls
Dwarf Hair Grass
2xCabomba Caroliniana
Cryptocoryne Parva

Fauna:
3xAlbino Corydora Catfish
2xGold Dust Sailfin Molly
4xNeon Tetra
4xGhost Shrimp
1xAmano Shrimp
1xOtocinclus (waiting to arrive at LFS)
1xAssassin Snail

Water Changes 20% every 2 weeks using RO water only.
Supplements:
Flourish (every water change)
Flourish Excel (every day)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice scape.

One feedback though, for this tank, if you fill water to the small neck to get the rimless feel that this tank is intended to give, it would be harder for labyrinth fish (like cory) to find the opening to get air. Also the filter output is right at the opening make it hard to go up even when they do find it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostertech View Post
Nice scape.

One feedback though, for this tank, if you fill water to the small neck to get the rimless feel that this tank is intended to give, it would be harder for labyrinth fish (like cory) to find the opening to get air. Also the filter output is right at the opening make it hard to go up even when they do find it.

Thanks! They did manage to find the hole and currently have no issues going up there for a breather. I have the flow at a low-medium setting so the current isn't so strong. They're pretty good at finding it and it's crazy watching them dart there and go back to where they were almost in an instant. They're fast.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 04:16 AM
Algae Grower

Tank seems slightly overstocked, but looks nice. One thing to note, if you plan on keep OEM lighting, put a bead of silicone around the outer part of the lens. Both my edges (6g and 12g) ended up getting water inside the lens from the filter splash, even at the lowest setting. And you can pick up the 12g edge LED lighting off eBay, better light output, and a fairly simple swap.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I might just do that! Thanks so much for the tip on the OEM lighting!

I know I'm really overstocked. Going to see how this fares and will probably restock later on for more appropriate livestock.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 04:30 AM
Algae Grower

I made the same mistake with my 6g about overstocking... which gave me an excuse to get the 12g. It's an addiction, from there I moved up to a 29g biocube (which is much easier to clean than the edge), and after that got the "final" tank 75g Long. I still have my 6g fluval though, which houses one betta, 2 nerite snails, and some Malaysian trumpet snails.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Updated the substrate info in original post: CaribSea Eco-Complete Planted

Today I also removed 1 Cory, 4xGhost shrimps and 4 tetras from the stock as well as the assassin snail. I was also forced to rescape to remove these guys. It is so difficult to catch stuff in this tank. But it's a good thing I rescaped though, I situated the larger decor so it will be easier to trim the DHG. The camboba also grew over the week so I trimmed that them and loved them to the right.

So I went to the stream today and let all the stock I removed fend for themselves. I'm just kidding, I brought them back to my LFS. They gave me a nerite for my assassin. I remember reading that red cherry shrimps are pretty low key to the bio load so I asked the manager to take the 4tetras, Cory and 4x ghost for 3 cherries. They're definitely getting a profit from the trade, but I'm ok with that. So here is where my stock is now:

2x Gold-dust Sailfin Molly
2x Albino Corydoras
1x Amano Shrimp
3x Red Cherry Shrimp
1x Otocinclus ( waiting for it to arrive at LFS)

I'm going to roll with this for now and give it a couple months before deciding to find new homes for the Mollies and Corys. It was a tough bargain with the kiddos to let some of the stock go. But they love the new red cherries.

I didn't get a chance to get the LFS to test the water because I was doing a water change due to the rescape anyway. I did find out that they did not add minerals back into their RO, so I will be picking up some replenish next time I fill up my water jug.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode