My First 36G Aquarium. Low Light High Tech - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My First 36G Aquarium. Low Light High Tech

It all started in Sep. 2009. After my neighbor gave my little sister a goldfish they won at the carnival and she brought it home. At first i was angry, told her to give it back as i knew nothing of fish keeping, except that they live in water. But being as adamant as she is, we decided to keep it. After seeing 2 inches of life struggling around in a little bag, and being the gracious person that i am, i decided to help the fish.

I ran to the fish store like a chicken with his head cut off and asked the salesperson on how to keep this fish i got. she gave me a 1g tank, and no advise. so i came back, filled it up with tap water, and dumped the fish in it.
After a few days, it seemed as the fish was doing fine, but just to make sure i started reading about fish on the net. and read about various things on how to keep them. i figured out i was making a mistake by putting it in a 1gal tank.

So i made a purchase of a 36g tank, but while that tank was still being delivered, my goldfish started struggling, it has black marks near its gills and started gasping for oxygen, so i ran back to fish store, told the same salesperson the story and she thought it was ich. i listened to her and bought ich medicine, it didnt help.

After 1 week of struggling, it fell victim to the infamous "ammonia poisoning". ( a very sad day)

So as condolences to the fish world, i became a member here, and started reading, and reading for 2 months straight. now i know enough to help someone else like me. Feel Free to ask!

heres my tank when first setup:

after 15 plants, and 6 Zebra Danios:

Last edited by sukhkawal; 12-25-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

wow. i went through an unbelievable experience.i bought 3 swordtails from petco. but they acutally came out to be 2 platys and 1 male sword. im not mad about that. im mad because they all were infected with internal, and external parasites. i didnt have a qt tank. i spend $100+ on that. so after quaratining them and medicating them. unfortunately 1 sword and 1 platy died. so only 1 platy is left. she seems to be doing fine.

moral of the story. because many fish stores fail to fully manage their fishes correctly, we must do it ourselves. always qt a fish after buying,and observe for at least 4 weeks.then acclimate to main tank.

Last edited by sukhkawal; 01-25-2010 at 06:58 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 01:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I hear you on the quarantining. I went through a nematode outbreak from petco. Parasites are a PITA.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yes man, i learned the hard way, wish i knew before, but i hate the petco near my home, those employees are not commited to there job, they suck. i recently saw one handling a fish with her bare hands, (she took it out of the container to put it in the tank), <<use a damn net. only if i had time to work there and teach them dedication.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:28 AM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
i hate that damn stuff
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well, today my platy just died after all she went through, i guess the internal parasites turned into secondary infections. after she went through the meds, i noticed her swimming was off and sometimes tilted<<maybe it affected her swim bladder. she also would flick her tail on one direction.
idk, but here the even sadder part. this morning when i noticed she was on the bottom gravel just lying there, i tried to net her out, and she moved, SHE WAS ALIVE!! so i couldnt do anything but leave it be,and after about 1 hour she completely died.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

today,i rearranged and got rid of some things, after being hit hard with hair algae, cut my micro,macros dosing in half, stopped dosing iron, and bumped my co2 to about 30 ppm (near yellow color). it has calmed down since then,and doesn't seem to be growing any more.

i got rid of the bridge, and added a log,and attached my java fern to it. question, Why does my java fern look ugly, why is it growing brown threadlike roots on the leaves?? i do see little plantlets growing though, so maybe thats how it grows.

heres a pic

heres he java fern:

added my bridge to my 10 gal qt tank:

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 01:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
I'm sorry to hear about your Platy :-(

I read your beginner thread in the general forum, and now I've finished reading the beginning of your journal. It was really exciting to see how much you've learned from that first day! That's why I love this forum--you can learn so much by reading and posting and everyone is always so helpful.

You're right about the java fern--the brownish roots are those of new baby java ferns--congrats!

Have fun with the tank, and I hope that your other fish do well :-)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 01:06 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhkawal View Post
question, Why does my java fern look ugly, why is it growing brown threadlike roots on the leaves?? i do see little plantlets growing though, so maybe thats how it grows.
Congrats, you're a Java Fern Grandpa!

EDIT- I got ninja'd! Need to start typing faster.... LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonfish View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your Platy :-(

I read your beginner thread in the general forum, and now I've finished reading the beginning of your journal. It was really exciting to see how much you've learned from that first day! That's why I love this forum--you can learn so much by reading and posting and everyone is always so helpful.

You're right about the java fern--the brownish roots are those of new baby java ferns--congrats!

Have fun with the tank, and I hope that your other fish do well :-)
thanks for the high hopes.i hope so too. this is just a beginning, after i finish and get bored with this tank, i wanna get a 100-150 g, and keep discus. <<cant wait
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Congrats, you're a Java Fern Grandpa!

EDIT- I got ninja'd! Need to start typing faster.... LOL
then i wonder what i will be stated as when the fern flourishes and becomes an adult. LOL
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

wow, its been a while since my last post, well a lots been going on. first. I cant find my 6th danio in my tank. it was a male about 2". well, it cant go into my powerheads, filter intake, or even gravel cleaner. and none of my fish are aggressive so no one killed him, idk what happened.

Heres the other thing,about 3 days ago, i was gravel cleaning and something got in the suction intake and it moved real slow, i looked like a worm or something, so i pulled my gravel cleaner out, and it slowly floated to the gravel, and then i couldn't find it. now im thinking that it might be the leftover flesh of the danio. has anything like this happened to anyone??
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

took out almost all my plants, trimmed them, cleaned them and rearranged them, but still couldnt find that danio looking skin anymore??, i dont even know if it was his sink. i guess it just dissolved in the water. May He Rest In Peace

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode