100 Gallon Reloaded - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
100 Gallon Reloaded

So, after the disaster with my 100 galon tank a month ago, the tank has been fixed and I spent all saturday setting it up again. Here are the specs:

100 gallon glass tank, Fluval FX5 canister, 2 200 wtt hagen heaters, pressurized Co2 system diffused via glass diffuser. Lights overhead lamp with 6 (right now 5 only) t8 lamps 40 watts each, a mix of white and pink (flora glo) lamps. PH controlled Co2 set at 6.7. Havent measured hardness but its around 4dh, temp at 80F, and it is cycling using dirty media from my other tank. substrate is seachem fluorite and has a little road with thick sand.

Aquascape and Plants: Centerpiece is a very large piece of driftwood I already had and like a lot. Plants include java fern covering the driftwood in several sections (also from the previous aquascape), anubias barteri nana, petit nana, coffeefolia and lanceolata, blyxa japonica, echinodorus amazonicus, dwarf sag, echinodorus latifolius, ludwiga repens, rotala rotundifolia, bacopa monieri, cardamine lyrata.

Inhabitants (not yet but living in my 60 gal tank while this one was fixed): 8 surviving angelfish, 1 discus who probably won`t make it, 4 corys melanistus, 6 neons, and probably will move the group of 14 red eye tetras.

Here are pics of the setup

Measuring the driftwood position

Little road

Planting: the open section will hopefully grow ludwiga repens, bacopa monieri, cardamine lyrata. behind the driftwood is a mix of rotala rotundifolia, bacopa monieri and cardamine lyrata.

This is the back part. tank has view on all four sides, its function is to separate my "bedroom" from the living room in my loft

Another front view

Lets hope the new reload looks even better than the old one, which I really like but admit my aquascape was not very good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)
This looks very cool. I like the road!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 04:30 AM
Banned

Very nice. I was planning a tank with four sides visible, but several people advised against it because they said it would make the fish skittish. Do you find that to be true?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks, letīs hope it grows nice. I didnīt have a single problem in my previous setup. I kept both Angels and Discus and they were both very happy, not skittish at all, totally the opposite, they would "chase" me all over the tank begging for food.

I guess the trick would be to introduce some dither fish before introducing the shy fish. In my previous setup it was my group of 10 zebra danios, which swim mostly on the top and are never shy fish.

Also the type of fish you choose could make a difference, my silver dollars tend to freak out quite a bit for nothing, but the angels that are currently sharing their space are still as "domesticated" as they were in the 100 gal tank.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Beautiful tank, and a great idea. I never thought of using a nice, big tank as a room divider. I think I'll try it i I ever get a nice big tank (and a room that's big enough to need dividing...)

Click here to see my dragons ->
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Lookin' ,mighty fine!

My tank sucks now

Fraternity of Dirt # 22
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick View Post
Beautiful tank, and a great idea. I never thought of using a nice, big tank as a room divider. I think I'll try it i I ever get a nice big tank (and a room that's big enough to need dividing...)
I kind or worked the idea from seeing what people do in their lofts to separate areas. In my case the bed is arranged to match the living room so it actually looks fine, but the problem was the closet. Since my home was a party saloon it didnīt have any space dedicated to store my clothing, so I build a "Home Depot" closet that really didnīt look good.

I placed the aquarium right in front of it and voilá now everyone that visits me pays attention to the tank instead of looking at my "weird" place with no separate bedroom.

The thing I like the most is that I can see it from anywhere in the loft
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 11:39 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
It looks great.

But, the sand is probably going to sink into the flourite, and you won't have a road anymore.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
cool
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OK time for an update. Tank has been running for 3 now, the Angels are back into their home together with a group of 4 (hopefully 10 soon if I can find more) hatchetfish and a single neon (the other 7 are still with the silver dollars, couldnīt catch them)

Plants are doing great, Iīve seen a lot of growth from the Ludwigas and the rotala rotundifolia converted to aquatic with no problems. Only plant that seems to be struggling a bit are the blyxa japonicas.

Angels spawned on sunday! The eggs were gone by today, donīt care about raising the fry but the spawns to me mean that the fish are happy

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I did the first trimming of the Ludwiga this saturday, replanted all trimmings back, will post new pics.

New inhabitants include a group of 11 serpae tetras and 7 pepper cories.

Will update pics tomorrow. So far itīs going the way I envisioned it, letīs see how the ludwiga fills out after the triming, canīt wait to have them all bushy growing to the top

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode