My 90 gallon ex reef - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 90 gallon ex reef

Hi all, here is my somewhat newbie journal. I haven't really pusued freshwater tanks in over a decade, but let's give it a go shall we??

After deciding to scale back my saltwater reef a bit to free up some money and time, I transferred my salty lil friends to the 45 gallon and moved the freshies into larger diggs in the 90 gallon. For about a month and a half, I just tossed everthing in and watched to see what would grow, how fast, and what didn't do to good. I was a bit surprised at my success. I had 2 inch a day growth on one stem plant. (sorry still learning names!) Here's a pic of what tank looked like up till this morning.

So now I desided to get serious, I drained the tank cut out the overflow and hard plumbed the canister to the bulk heads. I thought some valves might just be a good idea

because I also modified the intank plumbing. (Sorry bout the dirty glass)

OK now it's time to put in the hardscape! Had some driftwood soaking in a tote for a while now. Not quite sinky, but not fully floaty! Gotta love rocks and zap straps!

And now we're waiting on the water to fill. Will post when I get some planting done. Opps! just checked! time to plant, darn tank is near full. Guess I'll be up to my armpits on this one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

OK time to sit back and let the dust settle. I'm already seeing a few things that need moving but comments and suggestions are more than welcome at this point. Here is where it sits. Should be clear enough in morning to tweak it up a bit.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well it's a bit clearer this morning and I moved a few things around. All in all I can't say I'm overly happy with this aquascape. A little sit back and think time might be in order. Not to mention a better camera. I can't get a good pic for the life of me.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
This should look pretty cool when it fills in. Good job!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
That is great! I love the hardscape, very natural looking! Keep us uptaded!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Since ripping out the overflow, I've been battling low O2 levels. Poor fish have been gasping at the surface once or twice now. I've since put in a small powerhead to agitate the surface a bit. This keeps the fish happy, but I wonder how this will affect my plant growth.

I stopped off at a semi local LFS and it seems my eyes were bigger than my tank when I thought a nice giant amazon sword would nicely fill in one back corner. I ended up splitting it in 2 and now I have a pair of sword dominated back corners. Nice bookend effect I guess. Also added a giant hygro a few smaller plants. Had some riccia and java moss hitchhike their way into the tank as well. I think the tank definately looks fuller but I'm sure some more repositioning will be in order.

My chore today will be to plumb in my new in line heater. A nice little score to help keep equiptment out of the tank in my opinion.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Lookin' mighty fine!

Really, I overlooked it at it's beginning, but now it is pretty pretty.

My tank sucks now

Fraternity of Dirt # 22
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Planted Member

I think it looks gorgeous! I really like the 'bookend' looks the swords give you =)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's been a couple weeks since the reaquascape and the plants seem to be establishing themselves very well. I thought I was going to get lucky and avoid the algae outbreak usually accompanied by a complete reno, but it came. Luckily only a mild one the algae eaters dealt with. Domo arigato Mr. Otto!
I think I'll leave the plants to establish and grow a bit more before i start trimming for shape. It looks a bit "junglish" but I can live with that.
Notice the pic below is a bit better than the previous? Guess what I got for Christmas LOL!!! Just gotta learn how to use it now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode