10 Gallon Low-tech (Noob) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
10 Gallon Low-tech (Noob)

My first attempt at a planted tank. Some of the plants will become too big for the tank, which I'm aware of, I just wanted a big bio load while some of the slower growers could develop. I also plan on moving plants to the background as they develop, like the crypts and java fern. I painted the back of the aquarium a flat black, which I think turned out really well.

Substrate: Fluorite
Lighting: 15W 9325K ( I was told to start with about an 8 hour photoperiod. Does that seem right?)
Filtration: HOB Aqua Clear
Heater: Rena Cal Excel 50W Submersible

Flora:

Hygophila difformis
Anubias spp.
Egeria densa
Echinodorus argentinensis
Microsorum pteropus
Cryptocoryne wendtii - Red

I plan on dosing with:

1/16 teaspoon of KNO3, 1-2x a week
1/32 teaspoon of KH2PO4, 1-2x a week
1.5 mL Excel every day

Any and all criticism is appreciated. Like I said, I don't really know EXACTLY what I'm doing so any help, or telling me what I've done wrong would be great.

Note: Tank is a bit cloudy due to just being set up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
try to move the heater behind the wood if possible... and straighten up that sword, or whatever that tallest plant is in teh front...

Looks like a good start!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My tank journals
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by non_compliance View Post
try to move the heater behind the wood if possible... and straighten up that sword, or whatever that tallest plant is in teh front...

Looks like a good start!
Yeah I plan on moving the heater in the future... Right now I have a lot of stem plants right along the back wall... as soon as I have to start taking some out I plan on hiding the heater on the back.

The plant in front is an Anubias. I planted the rhizome completely horizontal... In order to have the plant stand vertical i would need to plant the rhizome at an angle... is that ok? I figured eventually the plant would straighten itself out.

Thanks for the insight!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here's a picture this morning after things have cleared up a bit... also after straightening the Anubias in front.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
You need to make sure that the rhizomes for the Anubias and Java ferns are up out of the substrate and exposed to light, or they'll die.

You sure that plant in front is an Anubias? Doesn't look like one to me...

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
You need to make sure that the rhizomes for the Anubias and Java ferns are up out of the substrate and exposed to light, or they'll die.

You sure that plant in front is an Anubias? Doesn't look like one to me...
I was told it was an Anubias, but I guess I don't know? It has a really large rhizome with roots coming out of it. The leaves were very hard as well.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Since I used water from an established tank, I was able to add fish already.

My two new Otto's hanging out on the driftwood.

My beautiful pair of Krib's

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Just water from an established tank won't do much. Unless you can also bring over some filter media, mulm, and/or substrate, you need to keep a very close eye on your water params and be ready for water changes.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Just water from an established tank won't do much. Unless you can also bring over some filter media, mulm, and/or substrate, you need to keep a very close eye on your water params and be ready for water changes.
Fully aware, I should have stated more. I mixed a ton of mulm into my substrate and switched over a filter. I'll keep a very close eye on the parameters... I have over 10 established tanks in my house so if anything spikes I can move them easily .

Do you think I should just stay with a pair of Krib's and 2 Otto's in a 10 gallon or should I put a school of 6-8 white cloud's or some other small schooling tetras? I was also thinking about adding a school of 5-6 Hatchetfish instead of that. Thoughts?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 12:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I think with the kribs and ottos you are good. I wouldnt add anything else to a 10 gallon.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode