120 Gallon Amazon Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
120 Gallon Amazon Tank

I am finally making some progress on my new setup. I am setting up a 4 foot 120 gallon planted low tech (for now) tank.
I plan on stocking this with
Angels
Bleeding Heart Tetras
Julii Cories
Long Fin Bristle Nose Plecos
Jungle Vals
Amazon Swords
Dwarf Sag
I also have some Drift Wood going in
Substrate is a mixture of Fullers Hearth, Eco Complete and Flourite
I plan on running T-5 lighting and am going to try 2 canister filters 1 Magnum 350 and 1 Fluval 304. I have 2 power heads for circulation with each one rated at 170 GPH and these are attached to mag floats and mounted near the bottom of the tank.
Tank and stand in place with 3 filters ready to go on to test and clean.

Tank filled with water and 1 gallon of vinegar to clean the glass and filters.

Tank was drained and refilled and most of the substrate added with 1 more bag of black flourite to go in and a Fluval 304 that was given to me by a friend, I hope to be able to run this tank with the Fluval and Magnum. I also have 2 heaters in to see if they will be able to keep temps at desired levels.

I have everything on the front to see how everything is working. I had the final fill done on November 30th. I will be ordering a few things Monday the 7th and then ordering my plants on the 10th so the tank should be running for close too 2 weeks. I am finishing up the canopy this week and will be mounting the lighting and cooling fans and then setting it on top so it should be ready by the weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Please excuse the dirty glass on this pic. I got my DW in for now along with most of the substrate, will be adding more black flourite later. I should have the canopy on and the second filter on in a couple days now just need to waite for it to clear up, still a little cloudy.

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well I added 6 Julii Cories for now will be adding about 6 more, I also added some plants.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
The plant on the left I don't think is an aquatic plant. I may be wrong, but it looks like what a lot of stores sell as 'Brazilian Sword', which does not grow well completely underwater.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 12:23 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel301 View Post
The plant on the left I don't think is an aquatic plant. I may be wrong, but it looks like what a lot of stores sell as 'Brazilian Sword', which does not grow well completely underwater.
Swords are true aquatics

Were you watching the movie the incredibles?

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
IMHO you should try to do a little more of a grouping of the wood... also, if you can do anything with some rocks and build up a terrace or something... you have a big wide open single elevation area, and it's just a bit plain. Maybe you're planning on a work in progress, so you can make changes as you go and add this and that....

but that's my 2 cents... try to make different elevations, and use groupings of wood and/or plants....

My tank journals
&
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL View Post
Swords are true aquatics

Brazillian swords are not true swords. They are part of the Spathyphyllum and not Echinodorus. They are not aquatic plants.

-Charlie

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 03:55 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
is that hornwort on the right
nice start keep it up
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 04:00 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhazard View Post
Brazillian swords are not true swords. They are part of the Spathyphyllum and not Echinodorus. They are not aquatic plants.

-Charlie
Ha, I did not even know that. I just assumed that they were echinodorus, but considering I do not know much about swords, I shouldn't be correcting people

-Chris

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well got a little more done on the tank.

Dawn and Dusk lights on

All lights on, a little washed out need to get a better one

One of my LF Albino Bristlenose Plecos have 2 for now but plan to add 3-4 more

I liked this pic of my male Apisto

post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
nice looking tank.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 01:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
The tank looks great. You have a lot of space and I agree with a previous post that maybe some more hardscape can be added. However, I more so think that adding some hypancistrus to the mix, maybe a L201, or L001 or almost any other L number fish would look great. Give them a spawning cave and you'll have young in no time.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 04:21 AM
Algae Grower

i like a lot your tank
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well all my plants seem to be doing good and growing nicely I think. The swords are popping new leaves and the flower stalk? is getting longer, the anachris is showing new growth all over it, pennywort is growing, hornwort has grown close to 2 inches in areas and the Ludwigia repens keeps popping new leaves. I was wondering is Hornwort an easy and fast growing plant because some people claim it is a difficult plant to keep and get growing but I always thought it was fairly easy. I will try to get some pics of the tank tomorrow after I do a couple more things to it. When can I expect an algea bloom if I get one, I hope I dont but I bet I will because its a new tank.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I am finally loading up some more pics. I had to trim up the Hornwort a little because a couple stems grew up to the top. I am thinking about doing something with the Anacharis maybe spreading it out some instead of leaving it bunched. I am going to pick up 24 Cardinals tomorrow, I have 6 more LF Albino Bristlenose's coming next week and hopefully I can get my angels shortly after that.

This shot really brings out the blue in his fins I think.

The dwarf Sag seems to be doing good, new blades all over them

I think everything is doing good because I see new growth on everything maybe not real fast but new growth just the same.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode