First 10 gal tank for my son. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First 10 gal tank for my son.

I'm new to this forum and new to fishkeeping. My son convinced my wife to purchase 3 white clouds and the lfs said they could be kept in a small fishbowl. I felt bad for them and started a 10g aquarium for them.

Here's what the tank looks like after first setup on Nov 18:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquarium 052 Resized.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	16809  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 06:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (38/100%)
Nice of you to upgrade the white clouds, I'm sure they are very happy!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Updates from Nov 24

A few days later and I had to exchange the heater. The cheapy submersible heater I bought from Petsmart was keeping the temp too high on the lowest setting and it had started to smoke! I bought a Marineland Stealth heater and put it in the corner near the filter intake. I then bought another artificial plant to hide the equipment and give the fish a few more hiding spots. They seemed much happier. I also swapped out the 2x 15w incandescent bulbs for a couple of spare cheap 9w CFLs that I had laying around in order to cut down on the heat and try to get more light. I'd plugged the lights into a digital timer keeping the lights on from 8am to 8pm. This works well with my sons schedule as it's in his room and helps remind him when bedtime is.

Don't worry, real plants are coming soon!

Here is the aquarium on Nov 24:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aquarium 001.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	16810  

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 10:40 PM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Welcome to the planted tank! The airplane is perfect for a boy's room. It'll look lovely planted. It is commendable that you bought a larger tank for the fish as well. What are your plans for plants.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 05:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
You most likely don't need a heater at all. White clouds live in cooler temps naturally. 74-5 is about the max I would go, they can live in higher temps but it isn't necessary. Depending on average temp of your house it will probably be suitable for them. My tanks upstairs stay about 72 during winter time with no heater. Makes the tank easier to care for and one less cord/piece of equipment in the tank. Good choice of fish, I'm putting some white clouds in a 5 gallon as soon as the ammonia goes down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Kittysnax
LOL I have always used "fail-proof-plants" and nowadays they look better than ever! I think your setup is great, and it will look VERY nice when/if you put some plants in. I agree with the above post that the airplane would look cute in a boys room. ^_^

ps-Im a girl, "cute" is a good word to me lol! <3
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo tetra View Post
You most likely don't need a heater at all. White clouds live in cooler temps naturally. 74-5 is about the max I would go, they can live in higher temps but it isn't necessary. Depending on average temp of your house it will probably be suitable for them. My tanks upstairs stay about 72 during winter time with no heater. Makes the tank easier to care for and one less cord/piece of equipment in the tank. Good choice of fish, I'm putting some white clouds in a 5 gallon as soon as the ammonia goes down.
I realize they like it cooler. In fact, my apartment is 80 most of the time with the heat off! The heater is just there in case. I also have plans for more tropical fish to be added later.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

On Dec 1 I broke down and added my first plants. I wasn't sure what these were at the time I bought them, but later learned that they were Limnophila Aromatica. I wasn't sure how to plant them, so I put the bundle in the gravel along with a root tab and a dose of fertilizer.

At this time I also got my first shrimp. I have 5 Amano Shrimp sharing the tank with 5 white clouds now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PC010033Resized.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	16854  

Name:	PC010034Resized.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	16855  

Name:	PC010040Resized.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	16862  

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittysnax View Post
LOL I have always used "fail-proof-plants" and nowadays they look better than ever! I think your setup is great, and it will look VERY nice when/if you put some plants in. I agree with the above post that the airplane would look cute in a boys room. ^_^

ps-Im a girl, "cute" is a good word to me lol! <3
My son picked out the airplane on his own. He keeps telling me that one of his fish are flying it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 03:45 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daijoubu View Post
My son picked out the airplane on his own. He keeps telling me that one of his fish are flying it.
You're son sounds adorable! I really like the timer idea too - very clever.

Looking forward to seeing this tank progress.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

On December 7th I added a bunch of cuttings from my co-workers tank and spread out the plants I'd purchased. I had enough plants in the tank I felt I could do away with the artificial plants.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PC070049Resized.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	17065  

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

On Dec 17, my son behaved very well at the dentist and earned a pair of Dwarf Gouramis for his tank. I'd also redone the CO2 diffusion and replaced it with a DIY reactor made from an Aquaclear 20 powerhead and a juice bottle. Unfortunately I lost one of the DGs when he swam into the reactor at night and took a gulp of CO2 when it went up for air... The next day I put a piece of filter foam in the opening.

I've also discovered hair algae on the plants. I cut the lights down to 8 hours and started to triple dose Excel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PC170049.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	17216  

Name:	PC170058Resized.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	17217  

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 06:08 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
pretty nifty co2 diffuser. maybe use a whole bottle. You would have a narrow opening where the fish can't get in but a sponge would work too.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 06:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have never seen someone sucked into the planted tank hobby so fast!!!

Thank you,

Eric
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
pretty nifty co2 diffuser. maybe use a whole bottle. You would have a narrow opening where the fish can't get in but a sponge would work too.
Actually I'm thinking of cutting the bottle down even more. This turned out pretty big for a 10g tank. I don't need the burp hole either as it burps through the air venturi on the powerhead.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode