20g Long First Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
ket

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red face 20g Long First Planted Tank

First off, let me start off by introducing myself. I'm a long time reader, new poster here and have been keeping fish (mostly ca/sa cichlids) for about 5 years now. This, however, is my first shot at a planted tank.

I'll apologize in advance for both a lack of quality and quantity of pictures. I'm using my phone until i can find a reasonably priced real camera.

After looking at some incredible tanks and journals here I decided to take the plunge and give it a shot. After some scrounging around on craigslist I found a deal for a 20g long aquarium with about 40 lbs. of black eco complete for $35! Considering that my ( way overpriced ) lfs sells the 20 lb. bags of eco complete for $45 I decided that it was way too good of a deal to pass up.

I had a few decisions to make now. I want to keep the project on a pretty tight budget so pressurized co2 and t5ho or mh were out of the picture (for now )

Budget

6x Cinder Blocks ~ $8
1x 2x4x96 ~ $2
2x Clamp Lights ~ $14
2x 27W CFL ~ $7
1x Wood Dowel ~ $2

Running total ~ $33

Stand

As opposed to paying a ton of money for a prebuilt stand at the lfs I opted to build my own. I'm now craftsman so I went the easy route and built a cinder block stand. The top rim of the tank sits at about waist level so it is very easy to get in the tank and move things around.

6x cinder blocks ~ $8
1x 2x4x96 ~ $2

So there we have it, a $10 stand that while not the prettiest, serves it's purpose.

Lighting

I looked around at all the t5 retrofits and thought about ODNO but none of them really suited my budget or electrical know how. After looking over the lighting stickies the thought of running cfl bulbs over the tank really appealed to me bot in terms of cost and effective lighting.

After persuing the Home Depot website for a bit i came across these:

(excuse the giant link)

A clamp on shop light rated for 100W incandescent bulbs for a mere $7 each!

http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fa...atalogId=10053

I grabbed two of those and a two pack of 27W 6500K cfl bulbs.

2x Clamp Lights ~ $14
2x 27W CFL ~ $7

At first I thought i could clamp the lights right onto the tank rim but it turns out the lamps can't swivel enough to project the light into the tank if I do. I ended up Getting a wooden dowel and drilled properly sized holes into the rear 2x4 on the stand and gluing them into place upright. By doing this I get the lights directly over the tank and have the option of adjusting how close or far the lights are from the water surface.

Filtration

I'll be using an Eheim Ecco 2232 that I have running as backup on my wet/dry filtered 75g.

Plants

Plastic until payday. We'll see what I come home with from the lfs today

Fish

Currently the tank has 2 otos 2 bronze cories and a clown pleco. I'm still wrestling with different stocking ideas.

Lastly, here is a fts of the current scape and (temporary) plastic plants.

I'll give an update when i get back from the LFS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I think you're going to need CO2, too.

Looking forward to seeing the plants!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
ket

Well, the lfs didnt have much. They mostly just had Parrot's Feather, Anarchis and some vals. I'll do some digging around tomorrow for something else. The parrot's feather looked nice, but im not sure how I feel about having noxious weeds growing in my tank :\

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 03:59 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
In truth, most of the plants that do best in our tanks are classified as "noxious weeds"...

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yeah. With 54W over 20gals you're probably going to need CO2. Of course, you could just raise higher, too.

I hope that stand is steady...

Click here to see my dragons ->
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
ket

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
In truth, most of the plants that do best in our tanks are classified as "noxious weeds"...
Well, I do suppose this is true and with that mindset the parrots feather is a great looking plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick View Post
Yeah. With 54W over 20gals you're probably going to need CO2. Of course, you could just raise higher, too.

I hope that stand is steady...
Diy CO2 is in the works (still researching and waiting on plants). The stand is solid. If it were a larger tank I would have added another stack of blocks in the middle. there are 3 lengths of 2x4 that the tank rests on. Here is where I got the plan:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/diy...diyaqstand.htm

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode