Yellow Jacket's 265 Gallon Journal... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yellow Jacket's 265 Gallon Journal...

Well, I've been out of fish keeping for 20 years, and in July of '09, I got back in. We did a major renovation to our house, and during that process, I began planning for my new fishtank. I knew I wanted a large tank, and planned for a 210. My largest previous was a 55g fish only saltwater tank with an undergravel filter and a heater.

During the renovation, I plumbed for hot and cold water, and a drain line in a small closet under the new stairs in our addition that would back-up to a former bedroom that is being converted into our fish tank viewing room.

Here is the planned room:

The thought was to have it look like it was built-in, so we planned bookshelves on either side:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fish Room Plan.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	16783  

Name:	Fish Tank Elevation.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	16784  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 06:20 PM
ket

Looks like a great concept. I'm excited for this build!
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
That'll look nice! Good luck!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 09-22-2011 at 06:15 PM.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 09-22-2011 at 06:16 PM.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
The tank doesn't look that bad. White vinegar will probably clean it up really quickly, I don't even see anything besides water deposits (no coralline algae).

CLR will do it if not the vinegar.

I'm so subscribed to this build, BTW.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Those photos were from back in July when I started.

Here I am now, finishing up the new custom stand and surrounding casework.

I had some help on the craftsmanship, but the result is a dead level stand that has a built-in look. Still undecided on finish. Hopefully over the weekend, I will start cleaning this tank and re-seal the inside good.

I have a new baby due very soon, and updates will be slow, but I promise the will come as they are made. I need some more of the valuable input I have received here so far!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0255.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	16790  

Name:	DSCN0254.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	16791  

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I don't think I want a sump for this tank - I like the idea of cannister filters, but do not want them beneath the tank. My preference is for all of the wet mechanics to be in the closet where the janitor's sink is so I can clean, rinse, drain, etc from this location and not have to deal with hoses and dragging filters around.

My initial thoughts were two ocean clear filters in the closet, fed from two of the existing bulkheads, and pumped back through the third bulkhead to be distributed along the bottom of the tank through a 6' spraybar, or two 3' spray bars.

For water changes / tank draining, I'd like to drill another bulkhead on the right side of the tank, 40% of the way down, plummed right to the drain.

For lighting, I'm leaning towards T5 HO, 6' long, or a MH fixture with 3 MH lamps, and some CP lamps with total wattage of 800 or so.

I will not be running all the lamps all day, and will be using CO2. I'm still brand new at this and really appreciate everyone's thoughts.

I've reached the limit of my attachments, so no more photos until I can figure that out too!

Thanks,

YJ
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

I host all my photos for free through www.photobucket.com, and then just link them over. I think you'd have to upgrade your membership here to get more photos hosted through TPT?

Why are you thinking of having the filter return spraybars along the bottom rather than the top of the tank? I'm running it in my head, and it seems like the plants would block flow throughout the tank that way?

You'll get better light coverage plus less heat going with T5HOs over MH's. And either way, I really don't think you want to exceed 400 watts on this tank... even if you only run the banks staggered, 800 watts would be a MASSIVE amount of light! Are you doing a canopy or suspended fixture?

post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Matty
Man, that setup is going to be reallly nice once you get the set up finished. It definately has a built in feel to it.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Had to set up a photobucket account...here is the base for the stand - it is 3/4" ply with 3/8" ply back up at each end and double 3/4", 3/8" sandwich in the center. All connections were glued and screwed together. It will hold a sherman tank.

We got the stand top (two 3/4" plywood layers glued together and pinned) and set it loose today and mostly finished out the trim. The stand can slide out at this point so I can do the plumbing, etc, but will be fixed once all that is complete and finish is applied.

I'll upload the pics tonight. All that is left is to put the new doors on when they come in - I goofed and did not account for the window trim and the trim at the cased opening on the left side of the tank and the doors will not open all the way - bummer. Another wasted $70.

Well - still can't load the photobucket pics...can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? - edit...thank you Lauralee!

ISATI*
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

After you upload your pics to photobucket, hover over the photo thumbnail in photobucket and then copy the 2nd link down (the one that starts with http://...)

The in the Edit screen over here, click on the photo button (the yellow one with the little mountain in it) and paste the link for your pic in the little popup screen.

post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 09:25 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
That's a sharp looking stand. You can also copy the link on photobucket that starts with [img]...
and paste it into where you are typing if you want.
This is going to be a very cool tank. I love how it will be built in the way you are doing it. I couldn't imagine a tank that big.

-Chris

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post

Why are you thinking of having the filter return spraybars along the bottom rather than the top of the tank? I'm running it in my head, and it seems like the plants would block flow throughout the tank that way?

Here are my first thoughts on filtration...

I thought the spraybar at the bottom of the tank would be good for CO2 distribution, and a way to get flow from the bottom of the tank to the top.

I'd love opinions / suggestions.

Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 09-22-2011 at 06:16 PM.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

I think if you aim the flowbars forward, the flow will be blocked by your plants and hardscape, but if you aim it up, you'll be shooting the CO2 directly at the surface of the water...

That's just theory on my end, but I'd run them along the top, angled towards the front of the tank and slightly down. This will help get the CO2 to flow down and then back along the bottom towards your plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode