20 High Riparium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)
20 High Riparium

I recently started a 20H riparium setup as I am local to Riparium Supply and was able to get a nice starter package from member Hydrophyte. Here are some quick shots of a nice new magnetic planter; IMO, this is much easier to use than the suction cups.

What comes in the package: planting cup, magnets, clay pebbles, plant labels and planter screen:

How it works in your tank, magnets hold them in place - simple :

Planted with clay pebbles and fluorite substrate. I forget the name of the plant here, Devin (Hydrophyte) provided me with it:

And what it looks like in the tank:

I'll be updating with full tank shots as soon as I get some decent pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 04:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Im looking forward to reading another riparium journal *subscribed*

Nobody listens to the fat man til its too late
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 05:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
I'm glad that you liked the new magnet planter. They are easier to handle than the planters with suction cups, but they are remarkably powerful and it''s important to take care and read the instructions to avoid pinched fingers or damage to equipment.

That plant is Echinodorus cordifolius 'Tropica Marble Queen'. It's a real nice riparium plant. That plant has that nice white variegation, but it actually loses most of it if grown underwater, so it's a good selection for growing emersed. It is rather slow-growing.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I second the opinion about the ease of using the magnet supported planter cups. I'm not yet sure I think they are enough better to pay the extra cost for them, but they definitely are better.

Good luck with the riparium - you are starting on a very interesting and fun project.

Hoppy
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 04:32 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
Nice. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this one man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 04:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Hey Don I notice another point about the planting of that marble queen sword. Swordplants do best with pretty rich planting substrate. I had just thrown those clay pebbles into the box as an additional freebie. That material doesn't really hold nutrients very well at all and it is a better choice for plants that like to have water diffusion around their roots, such as Spathiphyllum and Anubias. Whenever you might have your hands in your tank again it could be wise to repot that marble queen and instead fill most of the planter cup with a finer clay gravel. It looks as though you might have used Fluorite or something similar as a top dressing there. Tat would be a good choice. If you have any on-hand it could also be good to include a root tab in the planter. Swordplants generally grow really well if they have good root fertilization.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode