180G Planted Discus Journal Updated 3/13/10 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
180G Planted Discus Journal Updated 3/13/10

Well this is probably the first tank i've ever had that wasnt put together the day I got it. So i figured that i would do a post on here showing the build. The tank is an unknown manuf. suspect AGA based on overflow design and hole size. Its a dual corner overflow. The tank was salt and the overflow were encrusted in coraline and other various growths. I figured since i'm using 2 canisters that i would remove one and hard plumb the canisters in through the holes left. Then the other side is just for the return to a 30G sump.
Planning on low/med light. Vals, Swords, Crypts. Open to ideas on substrate. Im reallly leaning toward Turface with a white sand cap

Plans are 30G Sump
2 Eheim 2026 canisters
2 VisiTherm 300w
9w Turbo Twist. For now will upgrade to 18w shortly
4x96 PC DIY Lighting
Before being cleaned.

My arsenal of cleaning products. Ended up going through over 25 Razor Blades

And after 6hrs of work

And the stand was sand lightly and restained.

Last edited by Justshoe; 03-14-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Ooooh, another large discus tank. Keep us updated with lots of pics!

Phil
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Poof, nice elbow grease!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 09:17 PM
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
damn dude coulda bought a new clean tank for all that labor and razors

Nice restore, did something similar to my 75P just yesterday. Looking forward to the Discus.

Suspended for 30 days for being terrible to other members
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 09:30 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
wow. way to put the work in dude... at least you get to add stuff to it soon...
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to angelicodin Send a message via MSN to angelicodin Send a message via Yahoo to angelicodin Send a message via Skype™ to angelicodin
WOW, nice clean up job. Keep us posted with what your going to add.

EHEIM pimp club member #390

PHP Code:
<? if(function_tank($tank)){ function_fix($water) } ; ?>
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
Is that considered "sweat equity"?
Nice job!

post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Nice job cleaning it up, but are you sure the stand is up to the task of supporting more than 700 kgs? Maybe I can't see the real structural support but from the picture, I am wondering if it's sturdy enough.

(photography, not related to aquaria)

|

post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:21 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Nice job cleaning it up, but are you sure the stand is up to the task of supporting more than 700 kgs? Maybe I can't see the real structural support but from the picture, I am wondering if it's sturdy enough.
It looks like toothpicks compared to the tank, you're right.

post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Its fairly thin lumber. Most pieces are 1x3's. I figure the tank was on it for around 4-5 years before i got it so it must be enough. Besides most of the stands we sell at the LFS i work at have very similar construction. Alot if good stand design is based on getting the weight transferred to the ground and most of the weigh occurs at the corners. Which if you look close the corners are doubled up 1x3's

And for 500 bucks this is definitely "sweat equity" Also got 3x250w halides 1x400w halides and an icecap 660 ballast in the deal LOL SO all that made the hard work more worth it.

Right now i only have 3 discus to drop in it from my 44. But the 2 tanks i tore down to replace this will hopefully profit me enough with the fish from then and the equipment itself to stock this up nicely. My LFS owner also breeds discus so i usually get some really good deals on the lil guys.

Throw in a little update. The 55G African Tank and 30G Dempsey tank were taken down tonight. 180 is replacing 55g and 30g is now the sump. So into the buckets they go for the trip to the LFS tomorrow and in goes a stand.
Stand inplace in basement

30G Sump

And a very unhappy pair of mated jacks
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 02:56 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Awww, poor Dempsies!

Can I come live in your basement after you get this set up?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

good god man. you call Mr. clean and his pals to help with that? it looks terrific.
this is gonna be a great project.

"Turn on, Tune in, Drop out" Dr. Timothy Leary

WOODSTOCK 40 Years!
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Minor update. Return pump was purchased along with the beginnings of my DIY wetdry setup. Started a little bit of the plumbing still have to get the tank up on the stand. All the plumbing pieces have arrived. Still waiting on funds to buy lighting and substrate. I think ive settled on 4x96w PC's for now and can always throw in some extra T5's if needed. And substrate is going to be FlorcoX which is like oildri, capped with play sand.

post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Excellent.

It's amazing what vinegar and a little elbow grease will do to a dirty tank!

__
__
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Love the tank.

Your a pens fan eh? Been my favorite team for 10+ years, gone to see them once last year when they come around my area (Vs avalanche).

May I suggest Mineralized top soil capped with PFS or Turface or 3M S grade (For sand look).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode