Hey everyone. After a lot of reading and research I decided to start my first high tech planted tank on October 2nd. (My only other planted tanks were extremely low tech, like a 30 gallon tank overrun with java moss with only an old 15Watt cheap bulb and literally zero maintenance.) The tank in this journal is going to be high tech and eventually densely planted. I've been keeping a diary but I didn't find out about this site until after I started the setup so I'll just post little by little until I catchup to the current setup. Hopefully that will keep you in suspense. Looking back, it's a pretty amazing difference.
Here is the setup on October 2nd, 2009:
• 10 gallon glass aquarium
• Duetto 100 internal filter
• 96Watt 6700K compact flourescent running 10 hours/day (9.6 WPG, kids don't try this at home!)
• DIY Yeast CO2 generator into the venturi valve on the filter
• Eco complete substrate
• Seachem line of liquid fertilizers (Flourish, Trace, and Excel)
Weekly water changes:
• Drain ~1 gallon of water
• Topoff with ~1.5 gallons of treated tap water (lots of evaporation with the open top and high light)
Pictures from October 11th, 2009:
The plants include Anubias eyes in the left and right back corners, red crypt, green crypt, pellia on a rock, tiny mesh of fissidens fontanus in front of the peacock moss mesh that's leaning on the back wall, flame moss mesh, riccia mesh, and java fern on a rock. Oh, and an xmas moss mesh, but I discovered that plastic floats lol. There are some of those mystery bulbs too but they never sprouted.
In a day or two I'll post my diary from November 1st, 2009... the suspense...