Bookshelf of Aquariums - Page 19 - The Planted Tank Forum
 243Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #271 of 306 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 07:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Most Impressive! Keep us posted, the setup looks awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 306 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I finally added fish last night. So far everyone seems quite happy, although it will probably take some time before they fully color up. Some of these guys are quite difficult to photograph, but I did what I could.

The top tank now has six Pacific Blue-eye. These guys are fast and constantly swim all over the tank.

The middle tank has a pair of Scarlet Badis and ten Celestial Pearl Danios.

The Badis are really fun and spend a lot of time checking everything out.

The CPD are quite young and don't all have red fins yet. They spend a lot of time out in the open, but if you lean in for a picture they run to the other side of the tank.

I have eight Rummynose Rasboras in the bottom tank. They move very purposefully and seem to be hunting for food constantly. They don't give the larger shrimp any trouble, but if the babies run into problems in any of the tanks it will probably be this one.

I also added a bag of biomedia to the sump a few weeks ago to be safe, since the fish add a lot of bioload.
michu, michu, bk. and 11 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 691175002; 12-22-2016 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #273 of 306 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 08:37 PM
Banned

honestly ive never seen CPD or DD in any tank, ive always heard people suggesting them but no one would ever get them... Sounds like a fun and very interesting fish selection you got!!! are the pacific blue eyes as pretty as they say they are? also can you keep them in a five gallon tank? if so how many do you suggest

post #274 of 306 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
honestly ive never seen CPD or DD in any tank, ive always heard people suggesting them but no one would ever get them... Sounds like a fun and very interesting fish selection you got!!! are the pacific blue eyes as pretty as they say they are? also can you keep them in a five gallon tank? if so how many do you suggest
They are kind of hard to find (and sometimes very expensive) but SKA Shrimp has them locally for 3.30/ea. There are a lot of comments about CPD being very shy but mine are always spending their time in the open. I think being in a tank with Cherries helps a lot, they might like having something below them on the food chain.

The Blue-Eyes are much better than I expected. They look unique and their personalities are hilarious. At times they school very tightly, other times they are darting over the whole tank and sparring. They spend time in every level of the tank and even find a cave to protect once in a while. My six seem to have enough space so you could probably fit that many in a 5g, but I think putting like 8-10 in a 10g would be even better.

I spent some time getting pictures, I think you'll agree that they all look much better now that they've had a week in the tanks.

As mentioned previously, I added biomedia to the sump a few weeks ago. I think it has improved water quality and don't plan on running tanks without biofiltration in the future.

I rearranged the right side of the sump a bit and am trying to encourage some of the buce to switch to emersed growth by letting the water run a bit lower.

Unfortunately I don't feel like the rummynoses are doing that great in a 6g tank. They look like they need more space and they are just big enough to keep smaller shrimp in hiding. I'm going to to move them into my 30g and add Emerald Dwarf Rasboras instead.
bereninga, bereninga, bk. and 11 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #275 of 306 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 04:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

Bookshelf of Aquariums

Quote:
Originally Posted by 691175002 View Post
Unfortunately I don't feel like the rummynoses are doing that great in a 6g tank. They look like they need more space and they are just big enough to keep smaller shrimp in hiding. I'm going to to move them into my 30g and add Emerald Dwarf Rasboras instead.
Fish, plants and tanks are looking awesome! Especially like the Dario dario shots.
BTW those aren't Rummynose, those look like Sawbwa resplendens. But I agree it is better if you move them to a bigger tank, and maybe add to their numbers a bit in there if you can.
EDIT: NVM noticed the common name of Sawbwa resplendens are Asian Rummynose, so you probably knew they were S. resplendens! Sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #276 of 306 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Fish, plants and tanks are looking awesome! Especially like the Dario dario shots.
BTW those aren't Rummynose, those look like Sawbwa resplendens. But I agree it is better if you move them to a bigger tank, and maybe add to their numbers a bit in there if you can.
EDIT: NVM noticed the common name of Sawbwa resplendens are Asian Rummynose, so you probably knew they were S. resplendens! Sorry!

Cool! I never knew there was such a thing as Asian Rummynoses.

I agree that the Dario dario photos look real good. The colors and contrast are on point!

||
||
post #277 of 306 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 03:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereninga View Post
Cool! I never knew there was such a thing as Asian Rummynoses.

I agree that the Dario dario photos look real good. The colors and contrast are on point!
It's not really very closely related, or show similar traits to Rummynose Tetras though, just a name cus they look similar. Although they do both belong to the same family.
They are actually endangered in their natural habitat, so it is probably best we try our best to try and breed them.

post #278 of 306 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Anyone have tips for catching the buggers? When I first walked up with a net they all went to the top looking for food and I was able to catch or trap six. The last two are now both paranoid and crafty.

post #279 of 306 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Anyone have tips for catching the buggers? When I first walked up with a net they all went to the top looking for food and I was able to catch or trap six. The last two are now both paranoid and crafty.
Turn off the lights, come back in 30 minutes, they'll be more relaxed, try again.

Sent from my iPhone 8 (Dev) using Tapatalk
post #280 of 306 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Let them get hungry for a day or 2 and try two nets - one for shooing them and one for capture.

After raising some very tiny White Cloud Mountain Minnow fry to junior size in my Shrimp tank, I caught all but one, for numerous trials and failures I finally had to take out a very large amount of plants and DW after maybe 6 months of near monthly attemps, captured it, and it was well fed eating shrimp babies, about 1/3rd larger than the largest one of its buddies in the other tank which didn't have an all you can eat shrimp buffet everynight.

post #281 of 306 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:33 AM
Algae Grower

I word of caution about the dwarf emerald rasboras. I think they're much more shy than CPD's. I had 8 of them in my low tech and they literally hid under a piece of DW all the time. The only time they would come out would be to nibble at nano pellets then sneak back off. Ended up giving them to a member of the fish club for a some shrimp. They may do better with some dithers in the tank but I don't know. I ended up going with some lime endlers in that tank and they're much more outgoing and entertaining. If you go that route get all males unless you want hundreds. The DER also seem to prefer much cooler water.
post #282 of 306 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Soda/water bottle trap may work.

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #283 of 306 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:25 AM
Algae Grower

How are the DD's doing with the shrimp? Do they bug adults and/or babies? I have a scud problem right now and these guys would seem to fit the bill for dieting on them and I love the coloring. (How I had never heard of them before I don't know!) I also have guppys and endlers in the tank but they should be big enough to be fine. If anything i would be worried about the BB (its a 38 gallon tank). I wanted to see what your impressions of them are and how they get along with the shrimp.
post #284 of 306 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I ended up getting the last few out with a soda bottle trap the next day. I didn't even have to bait it with food, the fish were curious enough to trap themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTerror View Post
I word of caution about the dwarf emerald rasboras. I think they're much more shy than CPD's. I had 8 of them in my low tech and they literally hid under a piece of DW all the time.
I stocked the tank with 8 Emerald Dwarf Rasboras and 4 Clown Killifish. The EDRs are definitely much more shy than CPDs, one of the emeralds actually turned out to be a CPD and he was happy to swim around alone while the EDRs hid (I later moved him into the CPD tank). The Clown Killifish are pretty entertaining and very colorful.

The EDRs hang out near plants but generally stay visible now that I've had them for a week. I'll get pictures but I haven't trimmed the tanks in a while so its getting dense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman922 View Post
How are the DD's doing with the shrimp? Do they bug adults and/or babies?
I'm sure they are picking off shrimplets as they often explore the plants/moss, but they are just so small the damage is limited. I've seen very young shrimp (maybe 3mm) move around the tank without trouble.

My Scarlet Badis eat frozen and even dry food, is it possible they were tank raised? A wild one who only eats live food might be more dangerous to shrimp.

post #285 of 306 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:39 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:

I'm sure they are picking off shrimplets as they often explore the plants/moss, but they are just so small the damage is limited. I've seen very young shrimp (maybe 3mm) move around the tank without trouble.

My Scarlet Badis eat frozen and even dry food, is it possible they were tank raised? A wild one who only eats live food might be more dangerous to shrimp.
I am okay with loosing some shrimplets and will cull my best shrimp to a 10 gallon tank if my numbers are not increasing for a while to breed out the best ones.

It is quite possible that they are tank raised. I am having difficulty finding them locally due to my guess is import trouble or too few breeders. I found them online but I am always hesitant about ordering online due to expense and not being able to see what i am getting. (It worked out well the one time I ordered online though)
Do you have females or all males? I might see if I can get some and a couple low grade blue velvet's and put them together. If the BVS disappear I know what happened. My current shrimp colony is weak enough right now that I could use the extra numbers anyway. (20, and breeding but due to all the tank moving I doubt that they will stay berried. It took nearly 3 months when first introduced to start the breeding)

BTW these tanks are an inspiration. When I get the space I hope to do something similar with a pair of 10 gallons I have sitting around... The aquascaping is beautiful. I have been following this thread since I joined TPT.
691175002 and 691175002 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode