I had a recent disaster where the center brace broke out of my 75g planted bichir tank. I had replaced it a few times already so now it was time to replace the tank. I have had it for many years and my fish were growing so why not upgrade!!!! I got a new visio 110g on a black stand. This journal will chronicle the whole life of this tank. All the inhabtants are detailed in the old journal for this tank. Feel free to check it out, there is a link in my signature.
First step was to black out the back. Its been a bit windy lately so I set up a spray paint spot in the garage.
Painted and dry. I had a few trouble spots. The paint can clogged and threw some bubbles which created a few bad areas. I learned from my 84g osaka that a great trick to cover imperfections is black electrical tape.
Now setting up a new tank has its challenges but changing tanks creates a whole new set of problems. Heres whatI was taking down.
Luckily I still had an old 40g which i put on the floor and filled with water from the existing 75g. I collected the plants in buckets and the moss in a breeder net.
Next I took the driftwood out and put it in the 40g with the plants. The rocks I just put outside.
Because I was going to reuse this substrate in the new tank, I wanted to clean it.
Luckily the tank is by a window. I put the garden hose in the tank to add water as I used my large syphon to clean the substrate and drained right out the window. After about a half hour it seemed pretty clear. Stopped the hose and drained the rest.
At this point I rigged up my electrical. Wise to do before tank is on top.
Now tanks are set up for substrate direct transfer.
Tricky but effiecient!
After the substrate was in the new tank, the old one went out to the garage. I hooked up the fluval, airstone and heater, then pushed the 110g into place. Luckily it was perfectly level and I took all kinds of pics for insurance and warranty purposes.
After a lot of work, tank is centered and level in place on the wall. Lights and filter are installed, substrate is ready. Time for water!!
Pirate the dog approves!
Full of water and filter running.
All went well except for my ornate bichir jumped out of the 40g last night even with the cover. He managed to slip out of a 1 inch opening. Luckily I found him in time and he appears no worse for wear. I however was stabbed by his spike and he did manage to draw blood. Little punk!!
With the existing fluval biological filter and reusing the substrate, the cycle time should be very quick. I ran the filter overnight and put my 4 line catfish and common plego in the tank today. They doing well and I will most likely begin the scape and restocking today.
Thanks for looking and I will keep you posted to progress.