The New Bichir Bar - 110g Prehistoric Polypters Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Tanks A'lot

PTrader: (23/100%)
The New Bichir Bar - 110g Prehistoric Polypters Planted Tank

Hello Everyone,

I had a recent disaster where the center brace broke out of my 75g planted bichir tank. I had replaced it a few times already so now it was time to replace the tank. I have had it for many years and my fish were growing so why not upgrade!!!! I got a new visio 110g on a black stand. This journal will chronicle the whole life of this tank. All the inhabtants are detailed in the old journal for this tank. Feel free to check it out, there is a link in my signature.
First step was to black out the back. Its been a bit windy lately so I set up a spray paint spot in the garage.

Painted and dry. I had a few trouble spots. The paint can clogged and threw some bubbles which created a few bad areas. I learned from my 84g osaka that a great trick to cover imperfections is black electrical tape.

Now setting up a new tank has its challenges but changing tanks creates a whole new set of problems. Heres whatI was taking down.

Luckily I still had an old 40g which i put on the floor and filled with water from the existing 75g. I collected the plants in buckets and the moss in a breeder net.
Next I took the driftwood out and put it in the 40g with the plants. The rocks I just put outside.

Because I was going to reuse this substrate in the new tank, I wanted to clean it.

Luckily the tank is by a window. I put the garden hose in the tank to add water as I used my large syphon to clean the substrate and drained right out the window. After about a half hour it seemed pretty clear. Stopped the hose and drained the rest.

At this point I rigged up my electrical. Wise to do before tank is on top.

Now tanks are set up for substrate direct transfer.

Tricky but effiecient!

After the substrate was in the new tank, the old one went out to the garage. I hooked up the fluval, airstone and heater, then pushed the 110g into place. Luckily it was perfectly level and I took all kinds of pics for insurance and warranty purposes.

After a lot of work, tank is centered and level in place on the wall. Lights and filter are installed, substrate is ready. Time for water!!

Pirate the dog approves!

Full of water and filter running.

All went well except for my ornate bichir jumped out of the 40g last night even with the cover. He managed to slip out of a 1 inch opening. Luckily I found him in time and he appears no worse for wear. I however was stabbed by his spike and he did manage to draw blood. Little punk!!

With the existing fluval biological filter and reusing the substrate, the cycle time should be very quick. I ran the filter overnight and put my 4 line catfish and common plego in the tank today. They doing well and I will most likely begin the scape and restocking today.

Thanks for looking and I will keep you posted to progress.

***110g Prehistoric Theme Polypterus Planted Tank ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

***84g Fluval Osaka 320***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fluval Pimp**Uno Cinco** (15)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Now that's my kind of tank. What are the dimension of the 110 gallon

No Journal's yet just getting started.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
Nice to see you got this one going. I really enjoyed your last scape and used it as inspiration for my eel tank. I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 10:36 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BichirAddict View Post
Now that's my kind of tank. What are the dimension of the 110 gallon
4'x1.5'x2.5', assuming it's a standard 110

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 04:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
hows the tank?
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 04:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I just picked up a 150g solely for the purpose of keeping Bichirs! Can't wait to see how you tank works out and apply it to my tank.

Filstar Pimp #84
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 04:09 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
update?

No Journal's yet just getting started.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned, but you NEED to get a new powerstrip. Those cheap strips aren't meant to last more than a year or so and at there price, it isn't worth the risk. Just replace it.

Now where i our update!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Tanks A'lot

sad day at the bichir bar

Hey guys,

Sorry I have lagged on the updates. I just got lazy you could say. The tank has been up and scaped for a while now and its growing in pretty well.

Unfortunatly I lost my 4 line cat during the tank change. Not sure what happened but he died on me a few months back.

I did a 30% WC yesterday, which I have done a thousand times before. The result was a dead ornate bichir that I have had for 5 years and a dead Palmas Poli that I have had for 2. I barely managed to save my senegalus by keeping him QT in a big net in my osaka for a few hours.
My weeksii bichir is touch and go. I can see him but cant tell if hes still alive. I will have to roust him later today to check. But already lost 50% of my bichir population.

I am totally bummed. I loved those bichirs, they were like my water dogs! I cant believe I killed them doing something I have done a thousand times before. I always use tap water for this tank and it has never been a problem before. The plego and marble goby seem fine, it was just the polys that had a problem.

I know sosme LFS around here that have bichirs right now so replacing them with smaller ones wont be a problem. It just really really sucks.

RIP Peeping Tom (ornate) and Poly (palmas Poli)...you guys were awesome. I did my best to keep u happy and am truly sorry for killing u.

Kind of sad to post pics of a near empty tank but here you go.

I do plan on eventually adding more driftwood to the right side to conceal the heater and make the "stump" look larger.

Last edited by rhytemaker; 01-19-2010 at 11:24 PM.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Tanks A'lot

pics updated

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
Sorry to read about your losses. Is it possible that something maybe changed with your local water supply?

The new tank setup looks really nice though. It definitely has a prehistoric feel to it.

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 03:16 AM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
What are your temps like in your area? My temps dropped to subfreezing for almost 2 weeks (which is unusual). The water coming out of my tap was much colder than normal and I had to add some hot water to keep from shocking my fish.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
yea you may want to check if your local water has changed. About a month ago we got a letter in the mail from the water company that said they were going to start adding chloramine and that it was very harmful to fish. I don't know if you add any kind of dechlorinator to the tap water before you add it but that may be causing your problem. I just kept adding prime to my tap water and haven't had any losses.

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Tanks A'lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah925 View Post
What are your temps like in your area? My temps dropped to subfreezing for almost 2 weeks (which is unusual). The water coming out of my tap was much colder than normal and I had to add some hot water to keep from shocking my fish.
Its been a bit chilly but here in so-cal we have not been below 55 degres. I also had a thermometer in the tank during the change and it didnt drop drastically so I dont think it was cold shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldar View Post
yea you may want to check if your local water has changed. About a month ago we got a letter in the mail from the water company that said they were going to start adding chloramine and that it was very harmful to fish. I don't know if you add any kind of dechlorinator to the tap water before you add it but that may be causing your problem. I just kept adding prime to my tap water and haven't had any losses.
All I can find on the water district info page is they added flouride and from what I can see they say its not harmfull to the fish. It really sucks, the 2 remaining bichirs I have are extremly lethargic. I wonder if they got some permanent brain damage from this.

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Tanks A'lot

New Inhabitants!

I picked up some new bichirs today to replace the two I lost. It will be hard to replace the palmas poli, thosw are pretty hard to find. I got a new ornate bichir. It is about 4-5 inches

I also picked up a nice endlicheri bichir. It is the first lower jaw species I have kept.

Last edited by rhytemaker; 03-11-2010 at 04:05 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode