LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to elihanover
10 Gallon - Redux

EDIT: THE PARROT IS GONE.

Day 1: Set-up

Day 2: Begin spreading moss (more moss en-route)

Java ferns tied to three pieces of drift wood. Drift wood arranged to look like one very neat piece instead of three somewhat ordinary pieces. One rock with java moss behind the wood (African Filter Shrimp has always loved this rock). Flame moss to grow around the bigger rocks in the back right corner. Java moss to grow from the gravel up and onto the drfit wood. Lots of Christmas moss on the way to carpet the remainder of the tank. I have several smooth stones from Michaels with which I am not sure how to proceed.

Expect more in the coming days.

There's no basement in the alamo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by elihanover; 01-03-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Herby's new smooth skin post shedding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by elihanover; 01-03-2010 at 09:12 PM.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 05:43 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
The tank looks awesome, though I would suggest smaller fish. The blood parrots get quite large - much too large for a 10 gallon - and have a tendency to destroy live plants, IME.

A school or two of small tetras/rasboras would look nice

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboo View Post
The tank looks awesome, though I would suggest smaller fish. The blood parrots get quite large - much too large for a 10 gallon - and have a tendency to destroy live plants, IME.

A school or two of small tetras/rasboras would look nice

Agreed. The parrot (aptly named Polly) was a gift from our pet sitter, who knows nothing about fish keeping) while we were away. This was about a year ago. He has stayed roughly the same size, but he killed all of my cherry shrimp and my bumblebee shrimp (about 40), my 10 amano shrimp, my 2 Singapore wood shrimp, and all of my other fish sanz one tetra. I had to keep trimming the tank way down to give him room, and that's what eventually led to my rescaping it last week. I don't have the heart to give him up. I will wait until he dies to get any new fish besides the two very agile Oto's.

More pics to come after the new moss arrives.

post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elihanover View Post
Agreed. The parrot (aptly named Polly) was a gift from our pet sitter, who knows nothing about fish keeping) while we were away. This was about a year ago. He has stayed roughly the same size, but he killed all of my cherry shrimp and my bumblebee shrimp (about 40), my 10 amano shrimp, my 2 Singapore wood shrimp, and all of my other fish sanz one tetra. I had to keep trimming the tank way down to give him room, and that's what eventually led to my rescaping it last week. I don't have the heart to give him up. I will wait until he dies to get any new fish besides the two very agile Oto's.

More pics to come after the new moss arrives.
Find the heart to get rid of him since life in a 10gal for a blood parrot must be pretty crappy. They are suppost to be 8-10inches in size and need a way bigger tank then what you have.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

More moss tied down, etc.

I lost some slope near the rocks when I oved things around. I want to fix it, but I don't feel like it's worth the hassle of kicking stuff up again.

I also moved the wood around a bit.

I know, I know...Polly is too big for the tank.

More moss on the way to finish the carpet!

post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 09:22 PM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
I wouldn't say she is too small for the tank if you are giving her the care she needs. She looks happy, the tank looks great and there is a lot of places to hide. You will need to move her soon to a bigger tank, but she is okay for a while longer.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Taiwan Moss carpet has been installed, and somethings have been shifted a little.

Blooberry, our Australian Cattle Dog, helped to keep Sylvestor in the corner and off of the Gutter Guard/Moss.

Now the hard part...patience to let it all grow in and self-control to leave it all alone.

More pics to come.

post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
I wouldn't say she is too small for the tank if you are giving her the care she needs. She looks happy, the tank looks great and there is a lot of places to hide. You will need to move her soon to a bigger tank, but she is okay for a while longer.
Thanks for the reassurance. I was getting worried. She is very happy and active. She's been the same size since I got her. I'm not sure when she'll outgrow the tank.

She's also our son's favorite, so I'm loathe to part with her.

post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Algae Grower

I started with a 10gallon tank, then got a 3 footer so you could always keep Polly... She will grow when she gets a bigger tank (I havent had that type of fish but have found this with others). She looks happy and quite the camera hog.
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindo View Post
I started with a 10gallon tank, then got a 3 footer so you could always keep Polly... She will grow when she gets a bigger tank (I havent had that type of fish but have found this with others). She looks happy and quite the camera hog.
I've found this with Clown Loaches as well.

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Matty
Your tank looks amazing, and its a 10 g too! im impressed, im currently venturing on my first planted 20g. I love the idea of the sloped substrate, i filled mine up last night, and for the most part the substrate is flat, im soon going to add driftwood, rocks, etc. Im currently waiting for the water to clear up. but i might go ahead and put a nice slope to it while i can.

post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty View Post
Your tank looks amazing, and its a 10 g too! im impressed, im currently venturing on my first planted 20g. I love the idea of the sloped substrate, i filled mine up last night, and for the most part the substrate is flat, im soon going to add driftwood, rocks, etc. Im currently waiting for the water to clear up. but i might go ahead and put a nice slope to it while i can.
Thanks! There are some really great ideas in the aquascaping forum on sloping.

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cool moss carpet there! I don't know if you needed to start it that thick, but at least it will look filled in sooner... Its a jungle in there!

Your photography is getting pretty good... Sometimes it takes me ten or so shots to get one that turns out. I blame the reflectiveness of the glass. It makes flash look bad.

How are you liking your limnophila?

My tank sucks now

Fraternity of Dirt # 22
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 07:05 PM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Here is a good article on your fish. There are definite advantages for a bigger tank, it'll grow to its potential, live longer and be less prone to illnesses. That being said, your fish isn't so large that you have to run out and buy a new tank today. If you the funds and the space, I would say definitely go bigger. However, in the meantime, you are okay. Plus, you could always give him away when he gets bigger.

By the way, I like the setup of the java ferns.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode