30 Gal Hex Waterfall - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
30 Gal Hex Waterfall

I recently was given this Oceanic 30 Gallon Hex for Christmas, and I've been throwing ideas around as to how I'm going to set it up. I really have yet to see any impressive hex tanks, so I'm hoping to create one. I'm still pretty new to planted tanks, but I think I can make this one stand out. So far, I have the tank and stand with about 7-8 liters of ADA Amazonia. I'm planning on filling it up about 2/3, and putting together some sort of driftwood stream-waterfall near the top, running into the water. I'm not sure if I should hang the driftwood off the side of the tank, or build some sort of support up from the bottom. I'm thinking some sort of tall thick stalked stem plant up the middle, and other various plants around the bottom. I'd like to carpet the bottom with UG, and put some dark slate-like rocks across the back. I'm planning on lighting it with a metal halide (wattage still undecided). Pressurized CO2, Eheim canister. I may be a bit long winded here, but I'm working on my plan here, and the funds seem to be falling together well, despite Christmas time. Any input would be greatly appreciated, namely on scaping, wattage, and which Eheim I should pick up. Thanks in advance!

My Sketch

The Tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Good idea! Will you be having eny emersed plants?

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hex tanks are pretty hard to aquascape, but good luck!

I'm looking for a 35gal Hex to keep a pair of Yellow Lab cichlids in...but it will only be moderately planted.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
you should look into making a background with great stuff. its insulation foam in a can, but if you let it dry, cover it with silicone and put coco bedding on it, you can make a nice DIY background. You could put the driftwood that your planning on making a waterfall with in the great stuff while its drying. Ask Alex, he'll tell you about the backgrounds on the tanks we had here that were made like this. i've used it for fish tanks and frog tanks and its worked out great

googl DIY great stuff background.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
I've been tracking this tank, which he did something similar. Right now, it's kinda waiting on me to get the funds to get the light, filter, and CO2 setup. Christmas interfered with my plans. Haha. Right now there's 37 lbs of rock in there, I'll post a picture once I get my camera charged.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 01:18 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to texas9850
Hex are fun to scape, i`m getting ready to do my 42 hex. but now looking for about 150w light...Hmmmmmm

XboxLive:

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 01:47 AM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
i want to see this!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/96%)
Send a message via AIM to boltp777
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas9850 View Post
Hex are fun to scape, i`m getting ready to do my 42 hex. but now looking for about 150w light...Hmmmmmm
i have a 42 hex and had 150 watt lighting over it. i used a viper hqi clamp lamp and it worked very well i could grow dwarf hair grass and some other high light plants like blyxa

42 gallon hex journal coming soon
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/96%)
Send a message via AIM to boltp777
journal here texas
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...on-tank-4.html

42 gallon hex journal coming soon

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode