post #511 of 738 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
~5.5
Sweet! Mine is 4. It must just be fert issues that I am dealing with

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 738 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 12:38 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (125/100%)
You probably have slightly better water than mine.

Just my opinion but if you are thinking about dropping micros from full EI down to 2/3 EI, I'd be willing to bet too much micros is what the AR isnt liking.

Check out Vin's Dutch tank. He's dosed more and less and all points in between. His AR mini didnt go perfectly flat until backing micros WAY down.

The latest page here has a good post on what he's currently dosing

Going Dutch with Aquasoil - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report
Dempsey and Dempsey like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #513 of 738 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hmmm.... So, right now with the new mix in a 500ml bottle, dosing 30ml 3x per week. Could easily be cut in half by dosing 15ml.

2tsp CSM+B
1/8tsp DTPA Fe 10% (May be 11%)
1/8tsp DTPA Fe 13% (Just because I have them both)

I was also planning on dosing 1/64tsp-1/32tsp of Ferrous Gluconate daily..

Also. 1/2tsp GH Booster after water change, even though my GH is 9-10... Just seemed to help.

What are your thought?
Thanks!

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

post #514 of 738 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:46 AM
Planted Tanker

Well even though my GH is 9 ish, its mostly Ca, 50 ppm and only 4 ppm of Mg. So I add another 5-10 ppm Mg with water changes. Could be the same deal with yours and why the GH booster helped. You likely only need one or the other though.

As for the micros, no idea what to tell you really. All I can say is AR specifically does better with lower micro levels.

By low I mean something like what Vin is dosing (in his Dutch tank with Aquasoil), or down to "Burr Level" which is .015 fe from csmb and .02 Fe dtpa 3x week.

But man all this new stuff coming out regarding edta, it's got me questioning everything that I thought I knew.

So all I can really say is what works pretty good for me and what hasnt.
Dempsey, Dempsey, Opare and 3 others like this.

post #515 of 738 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, I guess it will just be trial and error on my part also...

On the plus side, since adding the k2s04 back to my dosing, my glass is spotless. Normally I would have some small spots on the glass a few times a week since starting the tank back up. Maybe this will help the AR also. Or, at least the older leafs.

Clint

post #516 of 738 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Here is another update. In the video you will see the next project to help support my plant hoarding.

https://youtu.be/vlcyghxRYUY

Clint

post #517 of 738 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very nice bro. Let me know next time you have a trimming please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #518 of 738 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
Just watched the video. Tank is coming along nicely.

Is the plant on the right side that you said you gave away Ludwigia brevipes? If that's what it is let me know next time you have any extras. That is a plant that I have been wanting to get again along with Limnophilia gigantea.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #519 of 738 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So, I just received the calcium test kit. My tap is testing at 30-40ppm. Too much? Should I even worry?

Now I am looking for an mg test kit. These say "for saltwater". Does it really matter?? The ca says that also.

Clint

post #520 of 738 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
So, I just received the calcium test kit. My tap is testing at 30-40ppm. Too much? Should I even worry?

Now I am looking for an mg test kit. These say "for saltwater". Does it really matter?? The ca says that also.

Don't think it's too much especially since the uptake will be more with co2. Try and get mg at 10 to get the 3:1 ratio. Go for the mg test kit and let me know if it works for fresh.

post #521 of 738 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
Don't think it's too much especially since the uptake will be more with co2. Try and get mg at 10 to get the 3:1 ratio. Go for the mg test kit and let me know if it works for fresh.

I'm assuming they work the same. They just say saltwater since only us planted people test for it in fresh water. I could be wrong.

Clint

post #522 of 738 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
I'm assuming they work the same. They just say saltwater since only us planted people test for it in fresh water. I could be wrong.
I have been using in freshwater too.
Calibrated test kit with CaSO4 and it was very close.

Mg is the testing problem and I only know of a calculation for it.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #523 of 738 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
Just watched the video. Tank is coming along nicely.

Is the plant on the right side that you said you gave away Ludwigia brevipes? If that's what it is let me know next time you have any extras. That is a plant that I have been wanting to get again along with Limnophilia gigantea.
You are correct! I will let you know when I put up a sales post.

Clint

post #524 of 738 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I can't find black diamond blasting sand anywhere. Checked Home Depot and Lowe's. Would this stuff work the same?

I also ordered this. Couldn't beat the price.

Clint

post #525 of 738 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 06:11 PM
Planted Tanker

As far as I know only Tractor Supply carries the BDbs. There's another brand called Black Beauty but Im not sure where to get it.

The link looks like just plain colored sand. Assuming the color holds, it should function the same. I just think about some types of regular aquarium gravel that the color flakes off. No idea if that would be a thing here or not.

BDbs is $7.99 for 50 lbs

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode