29G Complete Re-Do: Need Help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
29G Complete Re-Do: Need Help!

Hey everyone!

I've decided to completely re-do my 29 Gallon. (Mainly because I finally got rid of the Goldfish that were tearing my plants apart.) My friends are saying, "I can't believe you'd re-do a tank just so you can have plants!" And I reply, "Pfft, plants are the only way to go!"

Anyways, I need some serious help here, because this tank is going to be high tech and a lot of work. I'm going to be completely emptying the tank and adding new substrate, new filter systems, new lighting, everything!

I've only got planning right now to do, since I won't even be starting the tank re-scape until after I get back from Christmas Break. Just to give you guys an idea of what I'm doing, I'll show a few inspirational images.

As you can see I'm going for the heavily planted look. This tank will most likely just have a bunch of schooling fish, Oto's, and Cory's.

Here's what I'm thinking so far: (Please help me answer the questions in the Parenthesis)
  1. Substrate: 2 Bags of Eco-Complete (Will this be enough? Do you think I should use something other than Eco-Complete?)
  2. Filtration: (Totally a toss up, I can't decide between an Eheim Canister, or just a simple HOB filter. I need opinions on what would be best for a planted tank which will have CO2.)
  3. Lighting: Catalina Solar T5 30 Inch 4x24W Lighting System
  4. CO2 System: Either a Sumo CO2 Regulator, or a Complete CO2 System from another location. (Honestly, I know nothing about CO2 Systems, so I kind of just need advice for the best choice for me.)
  5. Heater: If I go Canister Filter, then I'd like to get a Hydor Inline Heater, but if not, what's the best option?

Thanks guys for any help you can offer! I'll post regularly as changes are made to the tank so that I can keep you all updated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:03 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
eheim 2215, skip the inline heater anf get an eheim heater as well.. 2 bag of eco should be fine...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (42/100%)
1. 2 bags of eco should be plenty...although depending on your scape you may need more. I have 2 bags in my 20H because i have the substrate depth at about 7 inches behind a rock...

2. Absolutely go Eheim canister a 2215 or even better a 2217. I am running the 2215 on my 20H and If i had the money I'd upgrade to a 2217. You should be turning you water over 8-10x per hour at the least (IMO!)

3. Think you are ok there!

4. greenleafaquariums.com take a look at their CO2 stuff it is top quality! plus Orlando who runs the joint is the best and is on this forum!

5. Absolutely go inline! Keeps extra stuff out of the tank and keeps the water evenly heated. Once again I am running one on my 20H and I love it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:12 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
the only thing i don't like about inline is that its one more thing to go wrong.. I keep my in tank heaters next to the spray bar and i'm pretty even with temp,
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Alright, I think it's a definite that I'm going to get an Eheim Canister. However, it's tough cause I can't decide if I want to go with the 2217, 2215, or one of the Ecco kind. The only reason I think I'd go with the 1215 is because I might end up doing the inline heater as well as a DIY CO2 reactor.

Do you believe that an inline DIY CO2 reactor would diffuse better than a regular diffuser?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode