ADA 90P Iwagumi first attempt - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA 90P Iwagumi first attempt

Hello everyone,

I recently tore down my reef tank and thought I would take a shot at planted tanks. This is my first attempt at an Iwagumi...Any suggestions, comments, and pointers, are all welcome.

Equipment

ADA 90P
ATI T5 4X39 watt Sunpower
ADA knock off stand
Electronic CO2 regulator w/ 5lb tank
DIY CO2 reactor with inline heater
Rena XP3
AquaticMagic 13mm lily pipes
AquaticMagic drop checker

Substrate
ADA Amazonia I (3X9L bags)
ADA Amazonia Powder (9L)

Stones
Ryouh

Flora
HC
dwarf hair grass "belem"

Pics...

Ryouh Stones

tank, stand, light

Rockscape

Equipment

Filling up...

Filled

Lily pipe vortex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 05:42 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
thats gonna look super crazy
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
that is nice big tank you have to work with there

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Turn on, Tune in, Drop out" Dr. Timothy Leary

WOODSTOCK 40 Years!

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
awesome setup! looking forward to this all grown up

post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 06:40 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Cool stuff. I envy your stones. That's a pretty good vortex you got going there, too. I can never get mine that good.
Awesome setup as a whole.

-Chris

post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (42/100%)
Wow that vortex is crazy!

I have been using CAL lilly pipes and have been thinking about switching to ADA... How do you think these compare to them (if you have ever used the ADA ones)/why did you choose Aquaticmagic? Also how is the construction on those pipes??

post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Planted Member

Wow that beautiful already!
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 07:23 PM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
Welcome to the forum!

Nice setup - this will be a nice one when filled in. Clean & simple.

If I may interject on the Aquatic Magic/Flo Lily pipes, IMO they're the nicest knock-offs out there. Nice thick glass. The vortex is that intense because the outflow pressure is slightly increased due to the fact that the Rena's 17mm in/outs have been reduced to 13mm. Even with my little xp1 the vortex is pretty powerful with my AQM/Flo pipe.

Nice job! This is one to watch!

No Pimp Club.
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the compliments guys, so I guess it wasnt too bad for first timer .

Yeah, I got pretty lucky on those stones.

I chose the aquatic magic lily pipes because of the shape of the outflow, price, and the fact that they have two suction cups. I am sure cal aqua's lily pipes are probably better even though I have never seen them but I couldn't justify spending that much. Its glass and I figure I would just get another set of lily pipes at cal aqua's price.

I cant wait for it to fill in, its still a bit cloudy but hopefully it clears up in the coming days.

Regarding the vortex, roybot gives an excellent explanation. Basically my filter is big enough to produce that nice big vortex. The closer the lily pipe gets to the surface, the greater the vortex. I was a bit skeptical about the surface skimming but I am impressed.

The bad thing about these lily pipes is that they came with a hairline scratch, not noticeable, but I contacted aquatic magic and was told I should receive new ones.
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
For a first time Iwagumi, it's not bad. My gut feeling is that the beauty of the stones you have isn't fully utilized, due to placement, but again, for a first time it's a decent aquascape. If you would like some constructive criticisms, I'd be happy to provide them. Outside of that, keep up the Iwagumi practice and do some research on Iwagumi design principles (I have an article link in my signature). The first tank is always a great tool to use to learn about plant and rock placement, growth etc firsthand.

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
For a first time Iwagumi, it's not bad. My gut feeling is that the beauty of the stones you have isn't fully utilized, due to placement, but again, for a first time it's a decent aquascape. If you would like some constructive criticisms, I'd be happy to provide them. Outside of that, keep up the Iwagumi practice and do some research on Iwagumi design principles (I have an article link in my signature). The first tank is always a great tool to use to learn about plant and rock placement, growth etc firsthand.
Hi Francis,

I am definitely open to criticism, let me know what you dont like and butcher it up! . I honestly feel I need more stones, at least one or two bigger ones. Thanks.
post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:23 PM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
I meant to ask - what color temp/brand bulbs are you running in that sweet ATI?

No Pimp Club.
post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Good attitude! My first impressions of things that stand out the most are basically that the focal attention seems to be right down the center due to the big gap in between the stones. I find myself staring at the back wall almost as much or more so than the actual scape itself. The "V" design isn't a bad way to go, but just basically contributes to a 'generic' Iwagumi feel - which, don't get me wrong, is a lot better than it just looking bad. I have to admit my first reaction when I saw a reef tank guy making an Iwagumi was "oh god, it's going to be rock wall!" And I'm very glad that that isn't the case - it looks like you've put at least a little thought into the layout.

As far as the stones themselves - it's difficult to pick a main stone, it seems that the one on the right side is intended as the main stone, but isn't quite emphasized enough to fulfill that purpose. While the stones surrounding them seem kind of haphazardly laid down - too many of them are going the same direction in the same position (i.e. most are horizontal), which kind of takes away from their impact in general. Which as a result, makes the stones that do have angles to them look out of place, as if they're angled just for the sake of being angled. Overall there isn't a whole lot of transition to draw your eye from point A to point B. It's kind of difficult to pinpoint precisely what is throwing it off, I think a lot of it has to do with the gaps in between the stones (too much space between some, not enough between others), and that the main stone and main supporting stones need to be larger.

At this point, it would probably be too much effort than it's worth to rescape the tank - it's very hard to rescape an Iwagumi with wet soil and a filled aquarium. However, like I said, grow it out, experiment with plant growth and Iwagumi stone layout (maybe practice with some stones in some sand for basic principles), then in a few months when you're satisfied with what you've learned start thinking of a rescape.

Edit - More stones isn't necessarily the answer, it's more about spacing and transition between stones and how they're laid out than number of stones - remember you want to maintain an odd number of stones, as well as an odd number of plants (for that reason i'd recommend finding a nice accent plant to ease the transition between HC and HG)

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow, very nice review, Francis. Thanks for analyzing my scape. I do agree that the stones need to be bigger. I purposely made the slope higher to make the stones feel bigger but I think I still fell a little short.

As for the gaps, they were made purposefully as well to allow plants to grow and fill in. Throughout the scaping I felt I need more stones because I felt limited with the stones. I was thinking of adding Helanthium tellenum to the center of the V in the back and making it curve towards the bigger slope in front of the big rock. I might use Blyxa as well lemme know what plants you would suggest. Obviously, I am going with HC as foreground, I may remove the "belem" as it may be too short. Thanks again.
post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by roybot73 View Post
I meant to ask - what color temp/brand bulbs are you running in that sweet ATI?
Hey roybot, I am running giesemann aquaflora, gieseman midday, and two UV lighting 10k aquasuns. Thanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode