45 Gallon Rimless Riparium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
45 Gallon Rimless Riparium

Just a few days ago my wife made a comment about how nice it would be to have another riparium, this one in the living room next to the TV. I laughed it off, but she insisted it wasn't a bad idea at all. So, I explained that it would be a very easy one to set up with a semi automatic water change system, if she was serious. She insisted she was serious.

Two days ago I found a nice 60 gallon tank on Craigslist so I asked her if that would fit her desire. Nope! She wanted one with a one piece front and ends, with curved front corners, not square cornered box.

This morning I found, on Craigslist a 45 gallon tank, 35 x 16 x 19 inch rimless tank, formerly used as a salt water tank, with a stand, for $150. I asked her if that would do it. She said, maybe at $125, but not $150. So, a couple of emails later I agreed to buy it for $100, and it now sits in the back of my PT Cruiser, after a 100 mile round trip.

This is a dream tank for me, one that I have looked everywhere for. Now the work begins!

Hoppy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 03:54 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
First off, awesome deal.
Second off, I wish people insisted that I buy more tanks.
Thirdly, awesome deal
Fourthly, hurry up

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL View Post
Fourthly, hurry up
Someones a little impatient lol

Sounds like an awesome tank though I will wait paitently for you to begin

post #4 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hoppy, WHOHOOO
Why are we waiting.
Comeon man! Get it set up!!!!
post #5 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hurray for dream tanks and wives that insist on having another tank! I'm looking forward to this journal.

Regards,
Phil
post #6 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
First off, awesome deal.
Second off, I wish people insisted that I buy more tanks.
Thirdly, awesome deal
Fourthly, hurry up
I second all said above!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #7 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Last night I was informed that this is my Christmas present. So, I owe Santa Claus a thank you note.

Before I can set this up I first need to get it out of the car. See, great projects start with simple steps. (I can't even post a photo until I can get it out of the car.)

Hoppy
post #8 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 06:20 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

I'll run over and help you unload it

-Chris

post #9 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I'll run over and help you unload it
Times like this demonstrate one of the values of a local aquatic plant club. I just need to send up a smoke signal. But, if you have nothing else to do today, .......

Hoppy
post #10 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Here is the tank, a "Jebo style" tank, rimless from the manufacturer, formerly used as a reef tank by two other owners. Today my daughter and grandson visited so I persuaded her to help carry it up the stairs. Heavy tank! You can see that I have started scraping off the mineral deposits at the former water line. Actually it isn't that hard to do, so far. And, some calcium removing bathroom cleaner should finish off the slight haze remaining. Famous last words?

Behind it you can see the bag of pool filter sand I bought yesterday - $15 for 50 pounds.

On the wall is the inlet and outlet for the water change/replenishing system for my 65 gallon riparium. This one will use that same system.

Hoppy
post #11 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aaaaah, I wouldn't use bathroom cleaner for it! Just use vinegar mixed with water. I would be too scared to use any sort of cleaner on a tank.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #12 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearunSimpson View Post
Aaaaah, I wouldn't use bathroom cleaner for it! Just use vinegar mixed with water. I would be too scared to use any sort of cleaner on a tank.
Anything we use to clean a tank, other than plain water, has to be rinsed off and the residue removed from the tank. A dry tank, whatever it was cleaned with can have a very, very tiny amount of any cleaning material left on it. I have used "CLR" and other similar materials before, for cleaning the hardwater haze off the glass. No problems have occurred as a result. Remember, even bleach has to be cleaned out before using the tank again.

Hoppy
post #13 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 10:23 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

That tank is sharp! What a clean looking tank. I love it

-Chris

post #14 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
That was indeed a very nice pickup.
I can't wait to see this go up.

PS i find it funny that not only did you have to pay for your present from Santa you also had to drive and pick it up :P

post #15 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
That tank combined with you skill will make an awsome riparium Hoppy!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode