New 29 tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
New 29 tank

I am starting to get stuff together for a 29 gallon tank I have had sitting in the garage for a while. I have it all cleaned out good. My plan is to use the following.

Filtration will be an Eheim 2217. It is an older one and the flow is pretty low on it so should be good. It is currently seeding in my Mbuna tank.

Lighting will most likely be a Catalina 30" T5 HO 2x24w (the $100 one). over a couple of glass lids.

Substrate is going to most likely be Eco-complete and Floramax over a very thin layer of peat moss (maybe 1/8th of an inch) and some mulm from my Mbuna tank. I am still open to suggestions on this however. I have been looking for cheaper alternatives with no success at local nurseries and home supply depots.

CO2 will be using two 3 liter bottles utilizing the DIY Jello method and pumping into a Rex Grigg style reactor fed from the Eheim 2217 filter. I have had very good luck and long lasting results with my previous 3 Jello batches and see no reason to change.

Fauna will most likely be a pair of Rams or Kribs, depending on what I can talk my wife into. I am concerned the Kribs will get to big, but she does not like the rams. Also looking strongly at the Cacatuoides. They will be accompanied by (6) Panda Cory's, (8) Oto's (once the tank is established), some ghost shrimp, and maybe a school or two of some type of tetras or something of that nature, not real sure yet.

Flora will be whatever clipping I take from my tank at work as well as whatever the lfs sells that I like. random unknowns as of right now.

The heater is a Ebo-Jager Model TS 250 watt that I got a steal on, $5) Works great and keeps the tank very stable. Been testing it for about a month now on an empty (full of water only) tank.

The tank as it sits now (the two hob's will be removed, they were just there to help remove some slimey stuff from the walls left over from when it was a failed salt water tank.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 03:40 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Good luck with your new tank. I moved this to tank journals, seems like a better place for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I finally got some substrate and plants going thanks to fishyjoe24. Here are some pictures with the generous portions that Joe gave us a couple days ago. The lighting is horrible right now, but we will be getting something better soon. I will also rearrange some of this stuff once I see what will grow and what is going to die off.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Green024
Is that a non aquatic plant in the front right I see? Dracaena by the looks of it, maybe not though. It looks a ton like it (bought it once from petco, sold as a aquatic plant.....). If it is, than it will begin to wither away in a few weeks. So your best bet would be to uproot it, plant it in a flower pot, and place it by a window.

Pimp #420
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I am not real sure what it is. It was all given to me as aquatic plants, but those did seem very stiff for aquatic plants. I will look into it some more. it's to bad because those are my wifes favorites in the tank.

Edit: You are absolutely correct. My wife is pulling them out as we speak and she is going to plant them. Thank you for the quick catch.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Green024
No problem, sorry it wasn't aquatic. Looks like you have plenty of other plants to make due though

Pimp #420
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here are the latest pictures. I have 10 Zebra Danios in there now. There may be a small mini cycle, but I do not expect a full cycle. I seeded it very heavily from my Cichlid tank. It was actually pretty nasty in there after I did. I still see crud covering the plants and ground, but hopefully it will go away soon.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Looks like a nice start. You might want to move the Crypts that you planted instead of the Dracaenas a bit more to the back, otherwise they will crowd up the front and you won't see what's going on behind them. Leaving some open space in the front is actually a good idea too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode