Kyle3's 65g rimless journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Kyle3's 65g rimless journal

I have decided that having 4 little tanks scattered around the house is getting old; so I'm going to consolidate. Here's the math:

20L+6.5g+10g+5g=65g (good math huh!)

one big tank (as big as i can fit) to replace all the little ones!

I've settled on a 65g 48"x18"x16" rimless tank from glasscages.com. It's only going to cost me $209 including shipping (+tax). I've heard they can be a little sloppy with the silicone at times but I know how to work a razor blade and it's the cheapest rimless tank I've been able to track down.

The stand is going to be custom built and I'm just paying for supplies (although this could mean it takes a while to be completed ). my designer/constructor is leaning towards a steel frame enclosed with wood- haven't hashed out the design entirely though.

after lots of oscillating I think I've decided to go with the current sundial. It's a 4x54watt T5 HO fixture with built in moonlights, fans and timers. I feel like going all out as I've always done "tanks on a budget". my intention is to run 2x54 8-9 hrs. and the second bank of 2x54 as a midday burst maybe 2-3 hrs. The moonlights are apparently equipped with a light sensor as they only come on when it's dark (unless you turn them off)- how cool! Also the whole fixture has only one power cord! I might be able to run this tank on one power strip!

Co2- I will finally be taking the pressurized plunge! I'm leaning towards a 10lb. tank with the Milwaukee regulator. I have a good sized spiral glass diffuser I plan on using. i like using a power-head to mist my co2 so i think I'll continue doing that in this tank.

filtration is still a conundrum see thread on eheim filters I think I'm leaning toward 1 2217 at this point but. . .whatever I'll cross that bridge when i get to it. I also intend to replace the tubing with clear stuff and use lily pipes.

now for some inspiration tanks:

AGA 2007 large category 1st place and best in show

AGA 2007 extra large category honorable mention

International aquatic plant layout contest 17th place

ada layout contest 2007 entry

So i totally realize how ambitious my aquascape dreams are- I'd love suggestions on good driftwood sources.

cheers-K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Wow this is going to be good.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Dude you are in for a treat, this tank is going to be great. do you have any dream fish, that you want for this tank

"Turn on, Tune in, Drop out" Dr. Timothy Leary

WOODSTOCK 40 Years!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You, who live in areas that Glasscages delivers to are lucky! I just figured it would cost me about $150 just for gas to pick up one of their tanks at the nearest delivery point. That alone makes GLA's rimless tanks a bargain.

This should be a very interesting journal to follow. May I suggest that you will never stop patting yourself on the back if you decide to spend a little more money for your CO2 regulator - a GLA regulator, for example?

Hoppy
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Oh that's a good point. Before committing to the Glasscages.com tank you might try pricing the GLA 91-L if you haven't already considered that.

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/gl...rium-91-l.html
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

vtkid: As far as fish go: my intention is to put everyone i already have into the big tank together (not my betta though!). So that will include rummy nose tetras, false julii corys, aneus corys, dwarf chain loaches, otos, a few neons, amano shrimp, bamboo shrimp, and cherry shrimp. then i'll start incrementally increasing my rummy nose school and I'll pick one of my bottom dwellers to build into a school. I'm considering some apistogrammas also.

hoppy: the reason i was thinking of the Milwaukee regulator is that the LFS where i work 1 day a week carries it and i can get it for $106 + tax. Are there performance issues with the milwaukee? I was under the impression it was a well made regulator. I'd like to know what your take on it is.

hydrophyte: i definitely looked at the GLA tanks but it's a smaller tank that's $360 before shipping; I'm sure it will end up at least double the cost of the glasscages tank.
but good lookin' out.

I'm also still struggling with substrate selection. . .I wish i had the space (and the weather) to do mineralized soil- but i don't so i've been reading up on CEC, available nutrients, yada yada ugh! I think i might do aquasoil or eco-complete. I've had great experiences with the eco but i think i might like to have substrate that's not black, and i would also like to have some contours in the substrate that don't flatten out in 2 weeks. I wonder if i could find enough mineralized soil on S&S. . .does it have to be capped with PFS? I'd do straight PFS and a layer of laterite if it didn't seem to be lacking so many crucial features. so . . . still very undecided

thanks for all the feedback! what would i do without you guys?!

cheers-K

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you go to lego's recent journal, the soil method he uses looks awesome and pretty easy also.

"Turn on, Tune in, Drop out" Dr. Timothy Leary

WOODSTOCK 40 Years!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The Milwaukee regulator is priced very low, but in my experience it allows the output pressure to rise considerably as the CO2 bottle loses pressure after all of the liquid CO2 is used up. This causes the bubble rate to rise enough to possibly kill the fish if you aren't alert. Also, the needle valve that comes with it is just barely usable. You can change the bubble rate considerably just by tapping on it a little. A good needle valve changes the bubble rate when you turn the handle, not just tap on the valve. And, the bubble counter on my unit leaked badly enough for me to lose a lot of CO2, because of the very tiny O-ring used to seal the glass tube end. That regulator can be made to work, but it is a constant annoyance.

The $106 price you can get it for isn't particularly low either. Sometimes you can find those for less than $100.

Hoppy
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
The Milwaukee regulator is priced very low, but in my experience it allows the output pressure to rise considerably as the CO2 bottle loses pressure after all of the liquid CO2 is used up. This causes the bubble rate to rise enough to possibly kill the fish if you aren't alert. Also, the needle valve that comes with it is just barely usable. You can change the bubble rate considerably just by tapping on it a little. A good needle valve changes the bubble rate when you turn the handle, not just tap on the valve. And, the bubble counter on my unit leaked badly enough for me to lose a lot of CO2, because of the very tiny O-ring used to seal the glass tube end. That regulator can be made to work, but it is a constant annoyance.

The $106 price you can get it for isn't particularly low either. Sometimes you can find those for less than $100.
wow! thanks so much! I will avoid it like the plague! u're the best hoppy!

cheers-K

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtkid View Post
If you go to lego's recent journal, the soil method he uses looks awesome and pretty easy also.
i have looked into lego's method- it's a consideration for sure

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hello again everyone! Between Christmas and a vacation I have been too busy to move forward on this project. Not to mention both distractions were expensive

But I'm back and with a very healthy tax return in my future I'm ready to get my fish ball rolling again.

The first thing i want to get underway is the stand.

I can't find the original thread but a few months ago when i was doing some searches on DIY stand builds i found some one who did a steel frame with a wood exterior. Instead of hinged doors they simply used magnets to hold the wood panels to the frame. So for major under-tank maintenance all the panels could be taken of and all that you would have to work around would be the steel frame.

I really like this idea. Having worked servicing a large variety of tanks with different stand designs, I know most stands are really difficult to work in and get equipment in and out. Plus if god forbid i ever decide to make this into a reef tank; getting a sump, protein skimmer, calcium reactor and a refugium into it and having room to clean and maintain so much equipment can be truly challenging.

I'm curious if any of you have good advice on other design features i should be sure to include in the stand.

thanks for all you help everyone!

cheers-K

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I ordered my lighting fixture on Thursday! I went with the current fixture i had been leaning towards.

My collecting has begun!

yeah!-K

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hey here's this project again. Can't wait to it progress.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I know i've been a slacker! i hope to keep it moving steadily now

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

more inspiration:

I really like the 8th place tank. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfwOlz-rcFs

i couldn't find it outside of this youtube video so . . .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode