Tyler's 29 Gallon Bowfront - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tyler's 29 Gallon Bowfront

Ok everyone. I decided to keep a regularly updated tank journal on my 29 Gallon Bowfront tank.

Plants
Microswords
Dwarf Hairgrass
Amazon Sword

Aquatic Species
3 Adult mollies
40 Young adult mollies
20+ molly fry
At least 2 Trumpet Snails
Common Aquarium Snails---- YIKES... tons of them, tricks anyone?

The tank is starting to look a little dirty, any suggestions beyond changing water weekly, which I am already doing. I need to control the Molly population, lmao.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgesZSvTprU

Last edited by explicitburngraphics; 01-16-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Updated pics!

I currently have 3 lights shining down on the plants... might switch to a good fixture since the 3rd light is just a standard tube. Well here are some pictures, you can see the dwarf hairgrass slowly expanding out in the pics! I can't wait to have that carpet the floor.

Closeup of the hairgrass new growth... its been a month at least since it was planted, not fast growing.

I hope you enjoy, I am going to be adding more gravel to the left side to provide the proper depth for the plants to properly root.... Also I hope there aren't a couple plants fighting each other for nutrients.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Algae Grower

like that !

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Very cool! What kind of platies are those? Painted?

I love how they sparkle!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 06:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Looks like a nice tank. Sweet fish too.

The only advice I can offer is regarding the hairgrass. If I was you, I would consider taking those clumps of hairgrass and splitting them up into smaller portions, even single nodes, and replanting those. That way, each node sends out new runners, new leaves, the whole deal. It takes forever to plant, but the growth is so much faster, and if a carpet is what you're going for, I'd consider it. It's what I did in my 29, and after about week many nodes are sending out runners, and nearly all had sprouted at least one new leaf. Just my .02.

Feeling adventurous? Maybe check out my current
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the thoughts for the hairgrass.... Its really hard at the moment to get hands on with my tank on that type of level because of all the fry. At the pet store they are listed as Viriatus(spelling). BTW, if you want ANY of them, let me know! I am debating on giving away the adults, or at least the adult male for free.

Also, anyone have advice on "tank cleaners"? I noticed i had trumpet snails, haven't seen for a couple days... but I noticed a different type of snail - probably crappy type. Any suggestions on if Glass / Ghost Shrimp introduction would help?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I basically swore off Platies till I saw yours! Still, I have a Sunset Wag in my 55 tho and she's lonely[making me want to buy or get more]...Sadly tho, I live in FL...so you'd have to ship them to me which could get costly and possibly dangerous this time of year???

As for shrimp, my stupid ghost shrimp only ate fish food and my betta's fins. I HATED them! [Meaning, yes, I'm glad my goldfish finished them off]

My best snails are the really cool Ramshorn snails for polishing the glass, MTS keep the substrate clean, but I also have a few pond snails here and there I couldn't bear the thought of killing because they are such good scavenegers and if theyh eat a plant [cough, cough, Blyxa, cough] it's because it's dying off to begin with...

I'd recommend trying to find some Ramshorn Snails...they look really cool and double as hard little workers.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Updated on Aquarium

Here is an updated picture of my aquarium. I took out the one plant, i figure it probably is absorbing too much of the nutrients... so now i just have the java ferns... which i have replanted the runners, a amazon sword plant which appears bigger or at least bushier... and my slowwwwwww growing grass-like plant. Again if your in Illinois and want some free mollies or can trade something I will gladly provide some fish. There are easily over 50 fish in this aquarium..... looks like common aquarium snails found there way into my tank, wish i could kill them and save my MTS snails.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
the fern looks great- and i also agree about splitting up the hairgrass. planting small little clumps in a "checkerboard" fashion will help it carpet much quicker and more evenly. a couple otocinclus would help wonders with the glass..

4 * 8 * 15 * 16 * 23 * 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, so i added an Otto today to keep things clean amongst the 50 mollies, and a Japanese moss ball. Couple questions. I noticed the tips of my dwarf grass plant is slightly brown, is this a hint of a problem? Also, should i leave the moss in a ball or should i layer it on my driftwood in the center? Thanks!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Dang,, those are some nice platies!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I did a water test. my tap water is 7.6-7.8ph. My tank is 8.2ph. I have had a aeration stone going since i setup my tank, is this completely unnesecary? I don't have additional co2 being pumped into my tank... judging by the pics, will the plants be able to keep up with the oxygen production for this many fish? Should i put it back in, the stone?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode