125 Jake scape - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
125 Jake scape

As I'm getting closer to starting this build I decided to setup a build thread. Maybe that'll keep me motivated to follow through with all my plans.

I got a used 125 locally for a good price. Picked up a premade stand from Easy Aquariums. I just didn't want to deal with making one and trying to get it to look finished. I ended up having to reinforce it quite a bit though. The floor was 1/4" luan plywood(I mean come on) with only two supports underneath it. I can't imagine someone placing a large sump on that. I built it up with 1/2" PT plywood and ripped some strapping down for floor supports. Glued everything in place with tightbond3. I also added some addition bracing under the top(unnecessary since the weight is on the outside, but it gave me something to screw to for hanging a fuge light and wire management hooks) then I attached two lengths of strapping so I have some runners to attach things to.

I'm going to paint the back black with flat latex.

I got a used eshopps pf1200 overflow and I bought a deepwater aquatics BLDC5 for a return pump.

I've got three bags of black diamond from tractor supply for substrate.

Ordered an apex EB8,PM1,VDM,temp probe, and breakout box from BRS for their black friday sale to control the tank via my apex jr on my nearby nano reef.

I'll be ordering a BML regular version fish focus blue w/tank mounts tomorrow during their 10% and free shipping special for black Friday.

Now I just have to break down the 55 and clean up the wall behind it in prep for the 125.

"Not my circus, not my monkeys"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Got an offer from someone local to buy their used 40L to use for a sump instead of the 29. Which is great as it gives me not only more volume, but more flexibility in chamber/layout etc...

post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 03:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentedhiker View Post
As I'm getting closer to starting this build I decided to setup a build thread. Maybe that'll keep me motivated to follow through with all my plans.

I got a used 125 locally for a good price. Picked up a premade stand from Easy Aquariums. I just didn't want to deal with making one and trying to get it to look finished. I ended up having to reinforce it quite a bit though. The floor was 1/4" luan plywood(I mean come on) with only two supports underneath it. I can't imagine someone placing a large sump on that. I built it up with 1/2" PT plywood and ripped some strapping down for floor supports. Glued everything in place with tightbond3. I also added some addition bracing under the top(unnecessary since the weight is on the outside, but it gave me something to screw to for hanging a fuge light and wire management hooks) then I attached two lengths of strapping so I have some runners to attach things to.

I'm going to paint the back black with flat latex.

I got a used eshopps pf1200 overflow and I bought a deepwater aquatics BLDC5 for a return pump.

I've got three bags of black diamond from tractor supply for substrate.

Ordered an apex EB8,PM1,VDM,temp probe, and breakout box from BRS for their black friday sale to control the tank via my apex jr on my nearby nano reef.

I'll be ordering a BML regular version fish focus blue w/tank mounts tomorrow during their 10% and free shipping special for black Friday.

Now I just have to break down the 55 and clean up the wall behind it in prep for the 125.
Nice, sounds like a good build start. If you're going the Apex and BML route and if you have a bit more funds, think about the Dutch MC and using the Apex to control the channels. You can achieve the fish focus blue coloring, or close to it, and much more using the apex.

I have 2 Dutch MC's over my tank using the apex, love the control.

Looking forward to seeing more of this build.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

If I was going to plant it more heavily or with more demanding plants I probably would've gone that route. As it is it'll probably just be anubias, java fern and maybe an amazon sword or two in the backround. I couldn't justify the extra cost of the MC fixtures for such a low/medium light setup.

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
That sounds like a big benefit. Over a foot more room available/w that tank.
I'm wondering if you know the sump can be arranged to work in a 100% natural way/w no maintenance ? Are Guppy grass and Floating Hortworth easily available to you ?
Putting a large center compartment in/w both of those as your particle filter and four 3W
LED lights over that part will result in natural particles being taken out before the water gets to/goes through the bio-media just before the pump section.
But what you described so far seems impressive and we hope to see build pictures soon.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 05:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Subscribing to this one. I'm getting ready to start my 125. Still debating sump versus canister.

Sent from my SCH-I545
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
That sounds like a big benefit. Over a foot more room available/w that tank.
I'm wondering if you know the sump can be arranged to work in a 100% natural way/w no maintenance ? Are Guppy grass and Floating Hortworth easily available to you ?
Putting a large center compartment in/w both of those as your particle filter and four 3W
LED lights over that part will result in natural particles being taken out before the water gets to/goes through the bio-media just before the pump section.
But what you described so far seems impressive and we hope to see build pictures soon.
I've haven't seen either guppy grass or hornwort locally but they are certainly available online. While they are both good at nitrate uptake neither actually remove particulate matter.

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Got the stand tank and sump tank placed today. Now to work on the baffles and overflow plumbing.

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Picked up a piece of spider wood.

I'm thinking maybe I should've gotten a bigger one
Blky2k and Blky2k like this.

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 10:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Or a couple dozen that size. Lol

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Did some tinkering with the tank today. Took a couple of those plastic window boxes and cut them down to three inches. Filled them with MGOPS and capped that with Eco-complete. I'll plant the swords and crypts in them so they'll have some good soil for their roots but it won't make a mess in the rest of the tank.

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

attached the driftwood to a piece of leftover bathroom tile using three "legs" made from gas grill lava rock to elevate it so it won't be totally buried when I add the substrate.

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 11:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I like the piece of wood you got, but I think you need something bigger for the center piece/focal point!
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roarke View Post
I like the piece of wood you got, but I think you need something bigger for the center piece/focal point!
The primary focus is going to be a rock pile extending from the right side part way into the center.

Planning and getting the sump baffles is the next real thing I have to do.

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 12:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentedhiker View Post
The primary focus is going to be a rock pile extending from the right side part way into the center.

Planning and getting the sump baffles is the next real thing I have to do.
Very cool, can't wait to see it all pan out!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode