Office 10g - - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Office 10g -

Hi everyone,

This tank has been set up for about 2-3 months...Things has grown in and I need to do a rescape. I am a little tired of the placement of things.

Here is it when it first started:

Here is it now:

The moss on the coconut shell has grown a little too full. I like having the shell there, but I feel that it's taking up too much space.

Also, the Blyxa Japonica is growing really slowly. It's not dying, but it's not growing taller either. It's sending out baby blyxas, though!

I also ordered a drsfosterandsmith CO2 regulator and a aquariumplants.com CO2 cylinder for this tank. I should get it by next week. I will be using drsfosterandsmith's ceramic diffuser. Will 1 bubble/sec be too much? Too little?

The tank is seriously lack of depth. =(

Spec
Tank: Standard 10g
Lighting: Daylight (6500k) CFL 40watt
Substrate: Flourite
Filter: AC 30 HOB (with soda bottle to reduce agitation)
Fert: 1ml Excel everyday, and 2 drops of "PMDD" everyday. Phosphate is sometimes supplemented.

*The SAE was placed in there for a few days to eat some BBA. He has since been removed and placed back in his 29g. Please don't flame me!

Last edited by angc84; 11-12-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finally couldn't stand it anymore, and did a little rescape.

Took out the coconut moss shell...looked better instantly! Stopped by LFS to pick up some echinodorus tenellus, lobelia cardinalis, and 1 stem of downoi (they haven't been able to get any in...boyfriend talked the owner into selling me a stem from her show tank!).

I hope the plants will grow in soon...I am so tired of this empty look!

Also received my pressurized CO2 set up the day before yesterday...but couldn't resist the temptation of putting it in my 29g. Looks like pressurized CO2 for this tank is going to have to wait...even though it has the most "high techy" plants out of all my tanks. >< It's all on you now, Excel!

PS: Cannot get DIY CO2 to work, it'd work for an hour and water would stop filling the tube. Grrr!

FTS

My sole downoi...please don't melt on me =(

Cardinalis! Emersed form?

Top...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update!!

Did a major rearrangement/prunning today. Added a few more plants.

My CO2 system for this tank is on the way! Should be here on Monday.

I was a little worried about uprooting the Blyxa...they take a long time to root in my tank. Hopefully the CO2 will help!

I also added the C. balansae, and I am praying that they don't melt on me! They have such interesting shape!

I think this tank is looking a little more pleasing to the eyes. Please grow in!! (Ahh. I need to stop staring at it. It doesn't help the growth rate!)

FTS

Side

New crypt!

My L. Cardinalis, growing new submersed leaves!

Blyxa...semi-floating =(

The P. Helferi...not dying, not growing.

The Betta king Samurai!!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice tank! That cardinalis is beautiful.

Click here to see my dragons ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
i saw some of that (cardinalis... maybe) at my lfs today but it was not looking to hot, i think that is the emersed form, maybe not though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Turn on, Tune in, Drop out" Dr. Timothy Leary

WOODSTOCK 40 Years!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you! Sorry I didn't see your reply until today. I love my Cardinalis too! Too bad they don't retain that purple color under water...They are completely green now.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update!!

12/3

Dead week and then finals...I can't believe how fast the quarter's passed by!

I added pressurized CO2 to this tank right before I went away for Thanksgiving. Some of my plants are absolutely utilizing it, while some stay the same.

Diffusion method: Elite mini filter
Bubble rate: ~1 bps

I also upgraded my lighting right before Thanksgiving. I am now using fishneedit.com's 24 inch T5 with 10000k and 6700k bulbs. I am liking it!

I ordered some pfertz and I will start on them tomorrow. Hopefully that will make a difference!

Anyways, here is the new pictures

Not-so-FTS

My Blyxa Japonica...not doing so hot. They are turning a little red and sending out buds (is that a good thing?), but they also died back a lot from the move.

The L. Cardinalis...sending out some massive roots!

The Downoi...growing a litttttttle taller, but still about the same. Please send out a runner ><! I am just glad it's not melting. I love this plant and it is the only one I have! I had to ask my LFS to pull it out of their show tank for me...

Rotala Rotundifolia...nice and pink, I love those plants!

Betta bulb!! Who would've known!?

Ludwigia Repen, top shot. The pattern's looking very nice since the addition of CO2.

The Crypt Balansae, not really changing...sort of stay the same. I hope they kick into gear soon!

Last but not least, my Betta Saumurai resting on the L. Repen!

Thanks for viewing. =)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quick update:

Adding a piece of manzanita (THANK YOU JACOB!!!)...a litttttle too big for my tank =(. Hopefully when the plants grow in, it will look less awkward!

This is my late update before going on a three week vacation tomorrow. =) I did a little trimming and hopefully when I get back, the tank would look different!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode