60 Gallon mixed with emersed setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
60 Gallon mixed with emersed setup

Hi all, need your opinions and ideas on how to improve this new tank. I got it used and came with this "strange" cover that works "perfect" for an emersed section.

As of now the tank only has a single bulb lamp (donīt know what kind of lamp but actually looks like a plant lamp - its kind of pink). Tank is 120cm long by 40cm wide and 50 cm tall.

Got the tank specially for the red hook silver dollar (the famous gift from my other threads that of course was totally unsuitable for the planted tank). His company includes a group of 15 red eye tetras and 4 baby silver dollars (which will move away when they grow). Tank only has 3 sword plants, the only ones the dollar leaves alone, he eats everything else.

This is the red hook.. heīll outgrow the tank but thatīs what I can offer him for the time being...

Now to the emersed part. I was thinking on placing a glass shelf along the tank and placing "pots" (right now I used a long tupperware) with the emersed plants on top of it, then disguise the pots with something to give it a natural look. Right now I have 3 emersed swords doing quite well to my surprise, a wendtii crypt that pretty much melted in the planted tank but itīs coming back nicely emersed and a bunch of limnophila sessiflora.

Question is, can I keep the plants in the pots (roots canīt touch the tank water because the dollars will eat them), how often should I change water / add fertz etc to the emersed pots?

What kind of lighting do you recommend and please share your ideas!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Interesting...I actually had a similar idea, but mine was more like keeping my 55 full and having emersed plants in hangers along the back like a riparium, so that they grow up out the top of the tank. I'll have to follow this one and see how it works for you.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks, letīs see what ideas people have, I really want to consider otherīs opinions before jumping in! Ideally I would like to have a little emersed jungle on top with maybe plants hanging down in the water. The lid is over 5 inches tall so I will probably be limited to shorter plants (the swords will probably outgrow and reach the top in weeks)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Check out this one...

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...xperiment.html

...that's a smaller tank, but a similar idea.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That looks interesting to follow up and get some ideas! thanks.

Hereīs a pic of what I have emersed so far

Hydrophyte you think the tupperwares will work well for pots? Iīve seen the rafts you use but since the roots would be exposed in the water, the Silver Dollar would probably munch them and kill the plant.

I used seachem fluorite as substrate in the tupper, filled it with water and added some fertz but thatīs about it. Since this water is stagnant Iīm probably going to have to replace weekly with water from the tank to keep it from rotting away...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Iīm sorry I havenīt posted an update yet. Unfortunately after the 100 gal tank broke this tank has been serving as a "fish house" totally overcrowded with my group of Angels, corys and plecos.

So far the only news is that the red hook now has 3 siblings and he is now totally happy and outgoing. The top now has 3 emersed pots, the one in the pic with the amazon swords, one with a couple of anubias barteri nana and a wendtii cript and the third one has hygro, and a couple of unknown houseplants that a friend at work had with the roots underwater.

As soon as the 100 gal is back in shape the tank will be taken care of. On the good side is that the amazon swords in the tank are ignored by the silver dollars and have a lot of new growth!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode