What it looks like now - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
What it looks like now

Its been through a few transitions and here is my latest scape. It is still very young and is yet to grow out. I trimmed some plants, replanted and reorganized a bit.

Dosing estimative index, Plantex CSM+B, N,P and K. Regular water changes.

Tank size 18 gal. (ADA 60p)
Tek Lights 24w, t5ho, 2 Giesemann Midday full-spectrum bulbs and 2 Giesemann Aqua Flora Midday full-spectrum bulbs.
ADA Aquasoil in the back, ADA Bright Sand in the front.
Eheim 2217
Pressurized CO2, Rex Grigg Regulator, Ideal Needle Valve
Needle Wheel-Eheim Compact+ Marine 1103 pump
Hydor 200w In-Line Heater

Here are my water parameters:
pH = 5.5
GH = 60ppm = 3.36°
KH = 70ppm = 3.92°
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10
Temp = 77-78

Full tank shot

Right side

Left side

Another full tank shot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 01:52 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Beautiful! What are those red-orange stem plants on the right side?

Flame moss might look really cool on that driftwood.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 01:53 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Very nice. What is the plant on top of the driftwood?

I would have moved the wood a bit more off-center, probably to the right. And for a final photo, remove the green strainer thing. Otherwise it is a winner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
Beautiful! What are those red-orange stem plants on the right side?

Flame moss might look really cool on that driftwood.
I got those from Jens

Ludwigia Guinea (Ludwigia senegalensis)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Very nice. What is the plant on top of the driftwood?

I would have moved the wood a bit more off-center, probably to the right. And for a final photo, remove the green strainer thing. Otherwise it is a winner.
Thanks for the advice, its well needed. I'm a little embarrased the plant in question happens to be a stem of HC that hitch hiked along some stems. It has grown quite large compared to the size it arrived in. I was thinking about getting some HC to plant in the sand but that is still just a thought, no immediate plans.

I just realized what you were talking about. The plant sitting in the hollowed part of the wood. It is a stem plant. Actually I got that plant from Smoq. I'm not sure of the name... I forgot. I hope he chimes in and let us both know what it is. The plant is about 6 to 7 inches tall. When I got the plant it was about 4 inches and only had a few leaves. In the short time its been in my tank it has exploded. It has a lot of roots shooting out of everywhere.

I'll try to get some better photos of the plant for you including the massive roots shooting out from the sides of the stem. By the way the stem is very thick.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 03:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
Cool setup. It is clutter free with nice contrasts between front and back, left and right. Looking good

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wasserpest, here is a photo of the plant in question out of water. This is smoq's photo of the plants I purchased from him, I wasn't expecting that particular plant but is was a pleasant surprise.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaybiswas View Post
Cool setup. It is clutter free with nice contrasts between front and back, left and right. Looking good
Thanks, I was think of getting some stems for the back left side but haven't decided what exactly would work there. So many plants to choose from

Any suggestion?
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (55/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jinsei888 Send a message via MSN to jinsei888 Send a message via Yahoo to jinsei888 Send a message via Skype™ to jinsei888
WIN! Great scape and boy is it clear!

Terence K.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantra View Post
Wasserpest, here is a photo of the plant in question out of water. This is smoq's photo of the plants I purchased from him, I wasn't expecting that particular plant but is was a pleasant surprise.

Reminds me a bit of Samolus, but can't be sure.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
Plant looks alot like Lobelia cardinalis...Non dwarf.
Nice tank Dantra!!

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks jinsei888. What is that fish in your avatar? Is it a zebra oto? I would really like one or two of those.

Coltonorr I'm only trying to get my tank to look as good as the rest of you guys. I certainly took a cue from you!
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got some Espeis from invertz that arrived tuesday, in great condition I might add and by thursday they were spawning. Here are some photos of the Espeis spawning yesterday afternoon again.

I was shocked that the spawning started so soon. They really colored up well and they have a hardy appetite. So far the Espeis have eaten with enthusiasm frozen brine shrimp, frozen chopped mysis shrimp, frozen chopped blackworms and flakes.

They spawned under these leaves:

Let the spawning begin:

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 06:17 AM
Are these real?

Wow. They sure were as impressed with your tank as we were.

Are you going to try to raise some?

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 06:20 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Wow, great pics of your spawning rasboras! Great tank as well!

Brandon Herren

"Betta House" 16 Gallon Bow Front
"30 gallon Rescape, Take 2"
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wasserpest and bherren, you guys are too kind, actually last night I received the package of pre-filters I ordered. I guess now I have a good chance of the fry not getting sucked into the filter which means I will most likely let nature take its course. Whichever fry survives will be a welcomed addition to the school.

I tell you one thing though, if the population gets out of control I will be offering RAOK to all who will provide them a good home.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode