75 gallon Cichlid Riparium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
75 gallon Cichlid Riparium

After viewing everyoneís beautiful ripariumís, Iíve decided to try my hand at it. Devin at Riparium Supply has been very accommodating in answering all of my questions. I would highly recommend his website for information and supplies.

Equipment:

Standard 75 gallon, open top
Filters: Fluval canister filters 305 and 405
Lights: Catalina T5 HO 3x54w - coming this week!
Substrate: none, eggcrate bottom with whales eye shells and tan quartz rocks
Extra Flow: Koralia 2
Planters: 48Ē planter pack by Riparium Supply

Plants coming Saturday from Riparium Supply:

Dwarf Taro (Colocasia fallax)
Swordplant (Echinodorus cordifolius)
Swordplant (Echinodorus palaefolius)
African mask plant (Alocasia amazonica)
Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum sp.)
Black Mangrove (Avicennia germinans)
Java fern (Microsorum sp.) good-sized rhizomes
Milkweed (Asclepias sp.) rooted plant
Mexican Petunia (Ruellia brittoniana 'Katie') rooted plant -
Bacopa (Bacopa madagascariensis) cuttings
Hyptis (Hyptis sp.) cuttings
Aluminum Plant (Pilea sp.) - cuttings
Ludwigia (Ludwigia repens) Ė cuttings

Fish:
Lamprologus multifasciatus
Cyprichromis Leptisoma
Julidochromis Ornatus

The tank is set up already as a Tanganyikan cichlid tank. I redid it this last weekend, extending the outflows of both canisters (using temporary tubing until the fluval parts come in), put egg-crate on bottom, added a Koralia2 to the tank and scaped into two separate areas. Shells on one side for the Lamprologus multifasciatus shell-dwellers and rocks and fake tree trunk on the other side for the Cyprichromisís and Julidochromis Ornatus. I was having a small problem w/BBA and green algae, most do with shell-dweller setups. I ordered 5 java ferns from eBay, they guy musta sent me 20! I have also been adding 1 capful of excel to my tank daily, between the excel and the java ferns, my algae problem is slowing diminishing. Below are some pics.

Full Tank:

Left Side:

Right Side:

Today I received my Reparium Supply planters.

Catalina lights will be here this week, plants will be here Saturday. Iíve never kept a photo journal on any site, thought it would be something to try. Iím very excited about this new tank. Iíll post pictures of it completed this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Love your selection of fish! I will definitely be following this...
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 12:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Very cool. Do I see Angel fish in there? Are my eyes playing tricks on me?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Great! Another riparium to enjoy watching.

It looks more and more like ripariums are here to stay, as they should be, considering just how beautiful and interesting they are.

Are you going to keep the air/water proportions like you have it now? The advantage of more room for the fish is certainly in favor of that.

Hoppy
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks! Yes, I want to see how it goes with the plants. The multi's would be fine with less water. When I bought the Cyps and Julies from Wet Thumb, I ordered 5 of each, thinking I would have 1or2 not take the mailing well and I'd be left with 3 of each (I purchased juv's). Good plan. Well, I've had them almost a year now and they have all made it this far! 10 fish in 1/2 that tank, we'll see how it goes.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh, and creedy, no, your eyes are very good. I have two angels in there waiting for my 120g planted to, well, I'm waiting to see if the danios make it a week or so. I've recently sold off the contents of a reef and last week planted the 120g. I know everyone says it's ok to introduce fish 24 hours or so after a heavy planting, but old habits die hard. I have had these two angels for over a year, they have more than doubled in size, and I would hate for them to die. They will be moved in a couple of weeks, I'm keeping a close watch on them, they seem to be doing fine with 50 gallons of water. If all goes well, I plan on adding more angels to the 120g.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 01:06 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Wow! Another riparium! I may have to try to set one up sometime. They are starting to look too appealing

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I am not the only one to start a cichlid riparium! Good luck!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 03:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
This one would be cool to watch on with bigger fauna and overall bigger setup.

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
That looks great. You have real good water circulation in there. I bet that those fish make a fascinating display. That Excel dosing should knock the algae down over time.

I really like this idea of having a riparium setup in a tank mostly filled with water and with a strong fish theme. After seeing this tank of yours and Hoppy's new 10-gallon project I have decided to make this kind of thing my next tank project. I have been looking/asking around for ideas for unusual or striking fish for a 20 to 30 gallon setup. It's overwhelming because there are so many offerings out there. I want to go with a catfish, cichlid or some kind of small oddball. I know that doesn't narrow it down very much but I have gotten a few good specific recommendations.
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Very interesting concept. It's exciting to see people go outside the lines with these riparium setups. I'll be watching this one!
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
YESS!!!! looks like it's going to be gooood.

Devin is the man
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I do have some concerns maybe I can get some advice from everyone?

With all the shells in the tank, my ph is high, over 8.0, some days it tests 8.2. How will this affect my plants?

Humidity - wondering if having the higher water column will hurt the humidity I'll need to sustain the plants. I plan on setting my lights as 2 lights on 8 hours a day including a "midday burst" with all three lights on for 2 hours. Open top tank, lights hung on a Catalina suspension hanging kit, maybe 8" from top of tank/plants. Lights come today

Substrate in planters. I really want to use MTS, but we need to figure out how to keep it from leaching into the water column. My algae problem is getting gone gone gone and I don't want to deal w/that again! I have many shells filled w/mamas and babies, so scrubbing them is out of the question for fear it'll be the demise of the fry. Maybe I should go get some fluorite black or eco JIC.

I'd appreciate any comments any of you have....thanks, Loco
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
In regards to humidity, I think that the plants should be OK in there. Here Up North our dwellings with central heating can become very dry during the wintertime, but I imagine that you experience less of this in Virginia. Your plant list doesn't include any that require very high humidities (e.g., crypts, Anubias).
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
Sweet another Rip! and one with shellies on top of that! Good deal man, I gotta keep my eye on this one because this could easily be what I end up doing with the 120 when the time comes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode