_ReApEr's 5g - preliminary stages - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
_ReApEr's 5g - preliminary stages

Okay, here's the deal. I walked into my LFS on a routine visit and stumbled upon a piece of mopani wood unlike any I'd seen yet. It was small, but packed with interest. An awsome-tastic piece of wood, if ever there was one. So, logically, I had to have it. After buying it, I had to figure out what to do with it. But then it struck me: I had an extra 5 gallon just sitting, calling out for this piece of wood from my basement. So there it was, I needed to start another tank. This one's going to be high tech, however, so it's on hold for a bit, at least until after Christmas. But here's a picture of the piece of wood in the empty tank, for size reference and such:

That bit poking up is hollow, too, so that always makes things a little more interesting. The picture doesn't really do it justice, it's an awesome piece of wood.

So, I wanted to start out by asking what plants you all might recommend. I'm looking at either the 16" 24w CFL or the 12" 13w fixture from Catalina. CO2 injection and EI dosing are also in plan. For filtration, I was thinking to go big with an Eheim Classic 2213.

The obvious plant I came to for a carpet was HC, but I'm totally open to suggestions with everything. I'm not too familiar with the "nano" plants.

Ideas?!

Thanks, guys!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Planted Member

If those are the only two lights you're considering, go with the 24w; just that much more for a nicer carpet. Aside from hc, UG is the only other carpet plant that comes to mind. Either or. What fauna were you thinking about adding?

PS, that is a pretty sweet piece of wood

Last edited by Cmeister; 11-03-2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Woody
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmeister View Post
If those are the only two lights you're considering, go with the 24w; just that much more for a nicer carpet. Aside from hc, UG is the only other carpet plant that comes to mind. Either or. What fauna were you thinking about adding?
No, those aren't the only two, just two I was scoping out. Do you have other ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmeister View Post
PS, that is a pretty sweet piece of wood
RIGHT?!

|
|
|

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So here are the specs I'm looking at.
  • Tank: 16" x 10.5" x 8.5" = ~6g
  • Filtration: Eheim Classic 2213
  • Lighting: Catalina 12" 13w CFL fixture
  • CO2: Planning on just putting the tube into the 2213 intake for dissolution
    GLA Nano Drop Checker
  • Substrate: AZOO Plant Grower Bed (Dark)

Thoughts? Still looking for suggestions for plants and some fish, too!

|
|
|
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
that is an interesting piece of DW. for fish you could try some microrasboras of some sort . maybe some pygmy cories, not really much space to work with.

"Turn on, Tune in, Drop out" Dr. Timothy Leary

WOODSTOCK 40 Years!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Due to the issues I'm currently having with my 29g, I've decided it would be best to focus on it and not start a third tank at this time. Maybe for my birthday in March. If/when this tank does get the funding and attention it needs, I'll be sure to resurrect this post.

Thanks, guys, for your suggestions.

To be continued...

|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode