AGutt's 20 Gal. Cryptocoryne Tank - 12.07.2009 (56K) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (42/100%)
AGutt's 20 Gal. Cryptocoryne Tank - 12.07.2009 (56K)

Tank Stats

Size - 20H
Substrate - Caribsea Eco-Complete
Filtration - Eheim 2215
Heating - Hydor 200W Inline, 76 F
Lighting - 48W T5-HO
CO2 - Pressurized, 40ppm-ish
Ferts - EI Method, Flourish Root Tabs
Other - Aquacontroller Jr.

Flora - Cryptocoryne spiralis, Cryptocoryne lutea, Cryptocoryne wendtii 'red', Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green', Staurogyne sp 'tropica 049b', Hemianthus callitrichoides

Fauna -Danio margaritatus (15), Rasbora pauciperforata (7), Rasbora trilineata (3) Otocinclus sp. (1)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC060583.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	16731  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by agutt; 11-20-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 02:09 PM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
I like the rock ledge and I've gotta say, I'm loving all this interest in Crypts!
This will look very sweet when the Crypts settle in and start shooting out new plantlets!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No Pimp Club.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, so...

The idea for this scape formed mainly around that giant rock in the center of the tank...

I had originally planned to not use much of a hardscape at all in this tank, but while I was at my LFS, I stumbled upon that beast of a rock in the center of a tank. You cant really tell from the picture, but it is 'C' shaped and probably weighs about 20 lbs. The shape of it allowed me to put substrate behind it, and build up a second level to the tank. The thing is so huge, that there were really only 2-3 positions the rock could actually be in inside the tank. Unfortunately, I did not start this journal from the very beginning, but this is actually the third time I have completely tore the hardscape apart and re-done it. Finally I think I am happy with it...

I decided to go with mostly Crypts in this tank purely because I love the way they look and have had great success with them in the past. I also don't have as much time as I would like to maintain the tank, so going with Crypts will hopefully help me balance that out. (Much thanks to Lego for hooking me up with the Green Geckos!)

I chose Marselia for the foreground because out of all the foreground plants out there, I thought the look of the Marselia would pair well with the look of the Crypts.

The tank is now planted, and growth is coming along... The Green Geckos have been in the tank for about 3 days, and new leaves are already coming up.

Now its time to wait...

Comments and criticisms always appreciated!

AGutt

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)
Interesting, I guess it's a good idea - crypts are not as demanding compared to fast growing stem plants (the ferts, trimming, replanting over and over again).

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
It looks great. But ouch, I hope they didn't charge you by the pound for that 20 lb rock!
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispino Ramos View Post
Interesting, I guess it's a good idea - crypts are not as demanding compared to fast growing stem plants (the ferts, trimming, replanting over and over again).
That's what caused my second attempt to fail which was all stem plants. I basicaly got backed up on the trimming/maintenance and the algae took over...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNYC View Post
It looks great. But ouch, I hope they didn't charge you by the pound for that 20 lb rock!
Unfortunately it was by the pound - $2.50 to be exact. Came out to like $46.00 (guess the rock is roughly 18.5 lbs ) It is one hell of a rock tho... I wish I had pictures of it out of the tank.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
You've done a nice job on that hardscape! That big rock almost gives the impression that it's not a rock at all, but is a huge chunk of driftwood that had silt overrun one side of it and plants growing on top. It's a very natural type of a feeling, that's for sure.

I'll be watching this one! (I love crypts too).
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
You've done a nice job on that hardscape! That big rock almost gives the impression that it's not a rock at all, but is a huge chunk of driftwood that had silt overrun one side of it and plants growing on top. It's a very natural type of a feeling, that's for sure.
Thanks Church!

Here's a couple more pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PB020279.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	16054  

Name:	PB020285.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	16055  

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sweet! I love crypts and it's great to have another crypt enthusiast!

Good luck on this tank. I've always had a good record for keeping crypts [except for 3 unknown ones I killed on accident.] and my 29 is going great for them! Who was it that said crypts were slow growers? They should watch my crypts! lol
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
Nice! I love the hardscape! You know what would be even better is if you can get your hands on a bunch of C. parva and make a foreground out of that

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by legomaniac89 View Post
Nice! I love the hardscape! You know what would be even better is if you can get your hands on a bunch of C. parva and make a foreground out of that
Workin on that as we speak lol

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
Very Nice! Thats going to look amazing once it fills in

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
I also love the rock. It's a great focal piece without stealing the show. The crypts are great also. I recently rescaped my 75 gal tank with crypts as the main plants. I think I have about 8 different varieties in mine.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Alrighty time for an update!

So...

1. 2 shipments of Crypt. parva have come in and they are already in the tank. Picture's to come soon... I am waiting on one more to come in.

2. New Fish! I added 6 Rasbora borapetensis. The 15 X-Ray Tetras have been moved to another tank. I am thinking of getting 12 Hengeli Rasbora to replace them.

3. LIGHTING

ok so heres the deal...

Right now I have a 65W Satellite Compact fixture over this tank. The lights are left on for 8.5 hrs a day.

My other 20 Gallon tank has 48W of T-5HO over it. I was thinking of reducing the lighting to the second fixture... Right now I am happy with growth in this tank, but it seems pretty overkill for an all Crypt. tank. My concern is that this will end up being too much lighting for this tank and I will start an Algae war... something I really don't want to do...

What are your thoughts on this move?

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Its comparable lighting I think. T5 may be cleaner lighting in the long run IMO.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode