"El Rio Pico" 20g SA. Biotope Riparium **RIP** - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 286 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Arrow "El Rio Pico" 20g SA. Biotope Riparium **RIP**

Yep, I am starting a riparium! After looking at Hydrophyte's, Hoppy's and Sewingalot's, I just couldn't resist! I still have alot to learn, so please bear with me!

Tank's Stats'

Lighting: hydroponics T5HO flourecent strip light (as of 12\16\09)

Filteration: Mini-Jet 404 powerhead with DIY pre-filter (as of 4/10/10)

Fertilization: EI doseing with dry fertilizers. (As of 2/10)

Subtrate: Pool filter sand (As of 1/10)

Tank: 20g high

Fauna: None

Flora:
Dieffenbachia x2
Lost of Pileas
peace lilly (Spathiphyllum sp)
baby panda bamboo

Decor': driftwood, lots of slate

Recent problems: Brown algae

FTS 12/09

FTS 2/10

FTS 3/11/10

FTS 3/22/10

FTS 4/11/10
All comments and suggestions are welcome!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

Last edited by RipariumGuy; 10-07-2010 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Adding plants ECT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 286 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

REALLY sorry about the bad pics!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #3 of 286 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Congratulations for taking the plunge into ripariums! You will very likely never regret it.

A few suggestions: If that heater is a standard one it will work fine turned on its side down near the bottom of the tank. And, I think I wouldn't use that filter - more filtration than you need for a riparium, in my opinion. Perhaps a smaller one, again turned on its side, or a powerhead with a sponge on the inlet would work better.

Just on general principles, I would never put a TV under an aquarium, because of possible water leaks. Could you wall mount the TV? I did that once with a bigger one, and it worked great.

Hoppy

post #4 of 286 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 05:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Another option for the heater and filter would be to hang them on one of the side panels. They will be less prominent there and also free up more real estate along the rear panel for plants.
post #5 of 286 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I know I have to ditch the filter, but It works for right now. As for the heater, I hand'nt thought of that! I'll try it tonight. The TV, I plan to move to another shelf. once I get the extention cord.

Now, it does'nt look good with out plants. So, could I get the plants, and then the light?
Thanks,
Jake

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #6 of 286 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Plants would probably alright for a few days with just ambient room light, but you would want to get the fixture soon.
post #7 of 286 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

If I had my old flourecent tube over the tank, could the plants survive for longer?

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #8 of 286 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You could try something like this:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...tml#post932414
Even one of these clamp-on lights, with a 26 watt bulb could keep the plants going for a few weeks.

Hoppy
post #9 of 286 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Any little bit of light that you could give them while you wait to get the brighter fixture would be OK. The plants that I was going to send in your box are low/moderate light varieties.
post #10 of 286 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Cool! Good luck...one of these days, my riparium will be started...but for now, I'm just going to order the starting supplies & plants and just have the plants in a sunny window.
post #11 of 286 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks Kenny, I need all the luck I can get!

The fish are getting their color back and swimming together again. Its probably pretty stressfull having half your living space gone, and every thing rearranged!
Regards,
Jake

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #12 of 286 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I moved the TV last night, but other than that no progress. All I need now is some cash.

Thanks for looking,
Jake

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #13 of 286 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Vacation.... Uh oh!

I just found out that I will be gone on vacation for about two and a half weeks, during christmass break. I will have someone watching the dog\tank, but since the person watching them has no planted aquarium knowledge, I am going to leave the tank "un-planted" untill I get back. Just to be safe!

I rearranged everthing, (like you guys suggested,) putting the filter on the right glass panel, submersing the heater sidways, and adding some more rockwork. My plan (not like you havent heard it a million times!) is to get the T5 light, then wait to get the planters from Riparium Supply and plants untill after I get back. Does that sound right? Also, how can I releave some of my fish's stress, without useing chemicals? A little black-out and more hiding places maybe?

Regards,
Jake

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #14 of 286 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
What kind of fish are they?
post #15 of 286 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The tanks inhabitants are a breeding pair of Convict's. I know that is a little over crouded, but I am giving it a shot!

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode