Tougefury 7g ADA Cube Journal UPDATE: 8-19-010 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Tougefury 7g ADA Cube Journal UPDATE: 8-19-010

New to this aquascaping idea. Basically went to the AFA store at J*town SF, and picked up a whole set up out of the blue.

11-02-09
Substrate is Amazonia (1) standard sizing as the base. Amazonia (1) powder covers over it. I also used the white powder substrate that AFA provides -- As you can tell I'm going for the river/stream look with the driftwood with flame moss on top.

I'll probably cover the amazonia with some kind of hair grass. I'll need to level and separate the amazonia substrate with rocks or some sort so they don't spill and mix up with the white.

In the meantime, water is currently getting conditioned and the layout is in a very fetal stage right now.

8-18-2010

added rotala, singapore rotala?, more hairgrass, and Red Ruby Tetras

Last edited by tougefury; 08-20-2010 at 02:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Banned

PTrader: (77/100%)
Oh man, everyone is getting 30cm cubes, I want one so bad. D:

Your driftwood looks intresting, moss covered rocks work well to seperate sand from the aquasoil, you just lay them along the edges.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
looking good so far. I like the stream effect. What is that mesh on the bottom? Keep the tank from sliding? You mind if ask what car you drive? Seeing touge and you living CA I must ask.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
Looks great. Thats a great pieace of dw
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
OK,

Stupid newbie question here. I don't see OP's tank. How do I view it?

OP's tank shows up fine for me now. hmm...

Last edited by whickerda; 11-02-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: dunno, machine problem or internet connection thing.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (55/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jinsei888 Send a message via MSN to jinsei888 Send a message via Yahoo to jinsei888 Send a message via Skype™ to jinsei888
Looking good! I think the grass your looking for is called Dwarf Hairgrass 'Belem'. Check around the forums and see if anyone has some FS, I see it every now and then. I think there is also someone selling flame moss on a FS thread a few pages back.

Terence K.

post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Dollface -- thanks, the DW is some of the newer ones that AFA has been getting, they work great with anyone who wants to run the 30cm cubes.

Nismo Tetra - The bottom mesh is a rubbery material that I got from my local hardware store. Correct, I cut it to the dimensions of the tank to keep it from sliding and to keep it from scratching the bottom. -- btw I drive a nissan 240sx (in my sig).

VadimShevchuk-- Thanks, they're a lot smaller than the typical ones you find other peoples tanks.

Jinsei888 -- thanks for the advice, I need to solidify the scape first before introducing any plants.

post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 04:40 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Subscribed...love to see where peoples' AFA experiences lead haha.

Jake

Filstar pimp 1.5.2.
[XP3]

post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
im thinkning u could put some hc on that back hill and maybe a bunch of nice small stem plants in the back and maybe dhg or elatine triandra or ug in the front part

~Hawaii Ftw~

post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update: 11-07-09

Today I picked up some rocks and laid them out so the substrates wouldnt mix. I also threw in the driftwood to see what it might end looking like when the ideas are finalized. I may need to drim down the dw a little more so it doesnt get too cluttered.

I need to figure out what kind of foreground... AFA had a kind in their center display tank that I wanted.

Last edited by tougefury; 08-17-2010 at 04:31 AM.
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 06:22 AM
Banned

PTrader: (77/100%)
I would plant the HC on both sections of soil, and then plant the hairgrass in whatever the back of the tank would be.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wow, this is looking awesome. I'm liking the tree theme. I wish we had a cool fish store around here that sold that type of stuff.

post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Moe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (49/100%)
Nice cube! My vote goes for some UG.
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (164/100%)
Nice start! I'm loving the tree manzanita and looking forward to seeing what you end up doing with your scape.

post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:54 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollface View Post
Oh man, everyone is getting 30cm cubes, I want one so bad. D:

Your driftwood looks intresting, moss covered rocks work well to seperate sand from the aquasoil, you just lay them along the edges.

Dismantle a 10 gallon and make one yourself.

Last edited by FSM; 11-09-2009 at 09:06 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode