29gal Low Tech Tetra Tank- Trim for the New Year! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 166 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
29gal Low Tech Tetra Tank- Trim for the New Year!

Well, I never did get my previous Betta simplex plan for this tank off the ground for various reasons (here's the old journal https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...nge-venue.html), so I finally have decided to take this tank to my office and set it up. Hopefully it will do 1/2 as well as my 10gal has there... (currently my favorite tank; https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...e-journal.html)

My Big Als order was waiting for me when I got home Monday evening, so today I took some time away from my computer to assemble the new stand. (I decided to get a mahogany stand to match the desks at work rather than take the somewhat tacky open black stand I've had it on at home. It'll also give me a place to hide the filter, which I didn't have with the old stand.)

I've actually got a number of filter options for this tank; Eheim 2215, Eheim Ecco 2234, Rena XP2, and a Rena XP3... I'm going to start with the Ecco (I've never run any but the Classics to date) and see how I like it. I love my Renas, but this tank will be next to a coworker's desk so I'm opting for the complete silence of an Eheim. I also like the convenience of media baskets, especially when having to deal with the very shallow sinks in the bathroom when cleaning filters.

I also have lighting options between a 30" Coralife T5NO (which is what I've been running on the tank) and a new Hagen Glo 1x 24 watt T5HO. I'm going to try the T5HO and compare it to the (2 bulb) NO fixture. I haven't picked out the bulb just yet.

Substrate will be Flourite black, which to date remains my favorite substrate due to user-friendliness.

I also have a 200watt Hydor inline heater, which I will run as needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lauraleellbp; 01-08-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 166 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

I know I want some Crypts, Anubias nana petite, mosses, and probably some Hygro angustifolia. I really haven't got a 'scape in mind just yet for the tank, though.

I was going to use the same "big honking" piece of Malaysian driftwood I had in the tank before, but I've been having 2nd thoughts, and I may go with some small Manzanita branches and a rockscape instead.

I know I want some dwarf chain loaches, so I may create a slate cave for them and really break from the kind of 'scapes I normally do.

I've gone back and forth a bit with stocking plans, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to stock:

6x Dwarf chain loaches (Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki)
10x Ruby tetras (Axelrodia riesei)
10x Green neon tetras (Paracheirodon simulans)
plus several Nerites (haven't picked sp. yet)

post #3 of 166 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get the 29gal cleaned out (all the plants and livestock in there will be transferred into either my 90gal or my 46ga) and take the tank to work.

I'm hoping to get the Ecco assembled (I've got all the media I need and also bought the black intake and output kits since I can't stand the green accessories), and perhaps even get my Flourite washed at home and carted to work. If I get to the Flourite, I'll even fill the tank and get the filter hooked up to see how it looks.

I'm planning to set up the media in the Ecco as follows:

Top-
Fine filter pad
filter floss
Purigen
--------
Bio media (coco puffs)
--------
Coarse sponges
Bottom-

Then will come 'scaping, planting, and cycling. I'll probably bring established media from home to cycle the tank.

post #4 of 166 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

OK well, some progress;

Got all the plants transferred into my 46gal, and I went ahead and moved all the livestock into my 90gal (about 10x Amano shrimp, 15x P. weitzmani and 1x LF ABN pleco). One of the big male P. weitzmani isn't looking like he handled the transfer too well (he's upside down breathing heavily on the bottom ) but the rest look good so far. They're so shy they're all hiding in the back of the tank... I was going to wait to add them after I'd gotten a good thicket of Vals going for them to hide in, but I decided it would be easiest to go ahead and move them now rather than 2x.

I also put together the Ecco with all the media, and I'm going to take it and the Glo fixture into the office.

I still need to finish emptying and clean the tank, and also rinse the Flourite. I think I'll go ahead and add the Flourite to the tank here at home and carry it in to work that way; less mess and containers to schlep around.

Looks like I'll be done with the initial setup, and ready to start working on plants come next week!

post #5 of 166 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
I am looking forward to your tank. Your 90 was one of my early inspirations. I am sure this one will be good too.

post #6 of 166 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Thanks, Jason!

I'm excited to finally DO something with this tank... LOL

Here's where the tank's going, and the stand.

I'm quite proud of myself for the assembly job. No leftover pieces. I only had to take it apart 1x (stupid instructions showed the shelf on the wrong side... )

post #7 of 166 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
Nice I can't wait to see this get going!

post #8 of 166 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Here's some sample pics of the livestock I'm planning on:

6x Dwarf chain loaches (Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki)

10x Ruby tetras (Axelrodia riesei)

10x Green neon tetras (Paracheirodon simulans)

Nerite sp (haven't decided)

Oh- I may also add some Tiger shrimp.

post #9 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 04:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
OK well, some progress;
Got all the plants transferred into my 46gal, and I went ahead and moved all the livestock into my 90gal . One of the big male P. weitzmani isn't looking like he handled the transfer too well (he's upside down breathing heavily on the bottom ) but the rest look good so far.
How is he doing? I find dosing with calcium sulfate help my fish when moving them disturbs them.
post #10 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Well, either he pulled out of it, or he died and was eaten before I got home from work (which is entirely possible with the # of scavengers in the tank...) I didn't see any signs of a dead fish anywhere, at any rate.

Project got put on hold over the weekend as I was sick as a dog. Hope to get some more work done this week, and may even start getting plants.

I probably should figure out my hardscape first...

post #11 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Well, the tank still hasn't made it into the office yet (hubby's up in Boston for work ATM, and I need his help to move it), but I've been doing what I can from home.

I've carried everything else into work, except for the substrate, which I'm almost done rinsing.

I have quite a bit of Manzanita wood around, so I'm going to play around with that today and see what I can come up with. Also some slate.

I've also ordered some plants:

Assorted Crypts (plus I'll pull some over from my 10gal)
Regular and Windelov Java ferns
Hygrophilia 'kompakt'
Red Nesea Lotus

I'm going to try Lilaeopsis mauritiana and see how it does as a foreground/carpet, I've never kept this one before.

These plants hopefully will arrive this week, so there will be progress to show soon!

post #12 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:06 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Those fish pics are great.
post #13 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkychif View Post
Those fish pics are great.
Unfortunately I can't take credit for them, they're all courtesy of Google, LOL

post #14 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

The tank is cleaned, the Flourite black is cleaned and in the tank, and the tank is in my backseat for the trip into the office.

Some plants are already here, others should be here in the next day or so!

So I've got minimal time now to figure out a hardscape... LOL

post #15 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I love those Big Al's stands, for real. I'm sorry that you had to take yours apart 1x though. When I assembled my first one, which was a 20" version, I forgot to add the little cardboard back to it, and once I was all done, and realized this, I just said "fuhgetaboutit" and threw the cardboard piece away. I didn't want to have to re-assemble it.

Anyway, I'm watching this one, because I always love your tanks Laura!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode