Chaos' 20 Gallon Long - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Chaos' 20 Gallon Long

Hey all,

I'm just getting started on my second attempt at a nice planted tank and I am committed to getting this right. Last time I never got good plant growth (epic algae - leading to jokes along the lines of "Chaos' tank is right") and took down the tank after it sprung a leak.

This is my setup so far (thanks again to Darkblade48 who helped a lot with this):
Acrylic 20g long,
Coralife T5 lamp,
2 bags, black flourite sand.
Eheim ecco 2232
50W heater ( left from my 12g, this enough?)

Planned:
Pressurized CO2
HC and maybe Dwarf Grass
Lemon tetras
some shrimp, whatever I can get probably.

Right now I am planning on emmersed HC growth (I had lots of trouble with it not rooting last time) and am looking for some imput on what to do with the rest of the layout. I like the iwagumi look but realize it is quite difficult to pull off. My main question is, as a beginner, are my chances of success significantly better if I go fairly heavily planted?

At the moment I am planning to order plants for emmersed growth asap. Also, I collected some local rocks and need advice on weather or not to get more (based on deciding iwagumi vs heavily planted).

And now for some pics:

I just put all the rocks in there, this isnt a suggested layout. I will head back for more rocks this weekend if it makes sense to do so.

In the very bottom left there is a sticker which says 'Clear for life" the aquarium brand. Any ideas how I can get it off without scratching things?

Id love some input.

Chaos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 02:45 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
The black flourite sand is beautiful. I haven't seen many tanks with this substrate and I am intrigued to see the HC growing in it.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
The black flourite sand is beautiful. I haven't seen many tanks with this substrate and I am intrigued to see the HC growing in it.
Thanks, I am hoping the plants root in it well. Last time all my HC just floated away. Clearly it wont be a problem during emmersed growth though and that should get it rooted well anyway. I think the green on black should look pretty nice.

I went ahead and ordered the HC and hairgrass so I will hopefully receive them Friday and can do some planting over the weekend.

Chaos

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey all,

So, I spent a bunch of time looking at Nature Aquarium contest winning tanks and feeling intimidated earlier and started playing with my layout (and limited hardscape). What i ended up with seems a bit non traditional, or would be different from what I have seen, but I am trying to incorporate at least a bit of what I learned about composition from photography classes.

So, first the white line is just a midline for perspective. I am thinking the following for plants. Im just guessing that there are plants like this for 3-5 so suggestions would be great.

1. HC
2. hairgrass
3. a taller wide blade grass
4. a nice red plant, 8" tall
5. Something tall and green, mostly. I will have to find a pic of one that I like, but may be signifcantly too large.

The kind of idea here is that the plants (3-5) kind of slope up following the lines on two of the rocks.

Also, whatever i do I want the lemon tetras to have a good bit of open space which is part of why I have nearly the whole left side open, while the right should be good for hiding the heater and such.

Chaos
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 06:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
looks like a good plan! i like the slope up on one side. i have a couple suggestions for your undecided plants
3. Blyxa japonica, c. wendtii, or some sort of sword
4. L. aromatica or ludwigia
5. rotala ( i like them all personally)

4 * 8 * 15 * 16 * 23 * 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 06:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would get bigger rocks, since the DHG would cover most of them. Plus, the rocks are way to the left. I would move them about 3-5 inches to the right. Or, if you're getting more rocks, I would get bigger ones to place on the right side side. Make your tank asymmetrical. It looks better that way.

Tip would be base your tank from a tank that you admire.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
Yes, bigger rocks definitely needed with DHG. Some more rocks extending to the right would be good as well.

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey all, thanks for the feedback.

JannaH - I think the L. aromatica is exactly the plant I was thinking about for five. I love the colors towards the tips. I do wonder how tall it gets (couldn't find a reference) and if I trim it to keep it the 12" or so my tank will allow if I will get that great color. I sure hope so.

malaybiswas and xximanoobxx
- Im going to go 'rock shopping' again Saturday and see what i find. I kept finding cool rocks that ended up being mostly buried and therefore way to large, or so it seemed. These look smaller in place. Still, I think they would stay visible if they are kind of a boundary containing the DHG. The one in the back will get covered, but thats probably ok. I think i will also play around with some other scattered rocks in the HC area. I wish i had more sand so the HC could be made less flat.

Also, the plants come tomorrow and i have an emmersed growth question. Should I mix up some water with ferts and get that into the sand or use to spray the plants?

Thanks, Chaos
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Plants in the mail today

post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey, there was a hitchiker on my plants, a small red worm, couldn't get a better pick without a microscope (thats HC in the water). I assume there are others, allready in the tank. Is this an issue at all?

Chaos

post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
may be tubifex?
check this thread https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...nize-them.html

4 * 8 * 15 * 16 * 23 * 42

post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaH View Post
Hey, that's a great thread thanks. I cant tell, because it is so small if it is smooth like the tubiflex or if its segmented like a bloodworm, but that's pretty reassuring that its not probably dangerous.

So, I went ahead and planted the tank and think it went pretty well, though I probably seprated the first pot of HC into pieces much small than needed, but probably didnt hurt anything. I really am amazed by how far you can spread out those little pots.

Now its time for me to be learn some be patient and also figure out all the things I dont have yet, CO2 and Canopy in particular.

So, I have the following ferts. Should I be using any of these now?

Chaos
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
nice black on black with the HC on top you got there
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Nice goodies you got there, chaos! Big to the dry start method.
You probably could've planted the hc even thinner. Some would even recommend cutting each stem into multiple pieces.
It doesn't matter much though, because once your hc starts running you won't be able to stop it!

Goodluck!
-leaf
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 05:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Seeing the tank on that lovely desk reminds me of when I had a 10 gallon on top of an oak bookcase. Where it was I have deep water stains. For when you put you hands in and out water drips on the wood. You may want to put something under or in front of the tank to protect the wood of the desk. It looks like is solid maple.

For ferts I would start with the potassium sulfate.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode