_ReApEr's 10g "Piece of the Poudre" [Updated every Monday] - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
_ReApEr's 10g "Piece of the Poudre" [Updated every Monday]

Note: this is going to be my journal post. It'll be updated every Monday with the new picture and relevant information and questions. I will also write a new post for each Monday's update containing the same information.

Desciption:
This is a 10g tank that I had sitting with a bunch of pond snails and some java moss in it. I decided September 30, 2009 to start a project. My idea was to drive down to the Poudre river here in Fort Collins, be inspired by what I saw, and attempt to recreate it. So, off to the river I went. I walked around a bit, looking at what things were available, and started collecting. I came home with some mud for the bottom layer of substrate (root friendly), some sand for the top layer of substrate (eye friendly), some gravel, some rocks, some driftwood, and some aquatic plants. Once home, I spent a few hours working with what I had and ended up with this tank. Everything in it, except the pond snails that were already inhabiting the tank, is straight from the Poudre river: every grain of sand, every rock, every piece of driftwood, every plant. Thus, I call it my "Piece of the Poudre."

This Week's Picture: January 13, 2010

This Week's Comments:
No news. It's just sitting and being Poudre-ific!

This Week's Questions:
None.

Tank Details as of This Week:

Setup
  • Tank: Standard 10g
  • Lighting: 23w compact fluorescent (eco bulb) in a desk lamp
  • Filtration: AquaClear 50
  • Heater: None
  • Thermometer: None

Flora
  • Elodea nuttallii, I believe

Fauna
  • Endless pond snails
  • Hydra viridis
  • Lots of worms in the substrate
  • Some sort of aquatic insect

As always, all advice, comments, and criticism are appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|

Last edited by _ReApEr; 01-14-2010 at 03:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This tank's already been up and running a few weeks, so I'm just going to post the previous weeks' pictures and comments for reference.

October 5, 2009

Week 1! This was really fun to start. Read the album description for details on what, exactly, it is and how it got started. So far, just in a few days' time, the plants are doing really well. I was kind of worried that they wouldn't because I found them in slightly different conditions than they are now, but they've grown a ton already, so they must like the new conditions. I've got lots of micro worms in the substrate that sit and sway back and forth, which is pretty interesting. We'll have to see what happens with this over the months!

October 12, 2009

Week 2 came and went. Not a lot to say on this one, but it did grow a ton. I did some trimming and replanting as well as some moving around of the driftwood. I have a feeling this tank is going to grow in like crazy. These plants are quite prolific growers so far. Oh, I suppose I should add that I've discovered a new inhabitant: I think they're flatworms. Interesting little tank, this one.

October 19, 2009

Well, I've discovered yet another inhabitant, species Hydra viridis, I believe. A relative of jellyfish and sea anemones. Kinda cool. I also think I discovered the plant species: Elodea nuttallii. Anyway, the tank is growing in like crazy. Just today, I received my BorneoWild 300mm curved pincette. It made trimming and replanting an absolute breeze. Highly recommended product, from GreenLeafAquariums.com. I don't know how I've been doing it with cosmetic tweezers, but the pincette makes a huge difference. Next week, this tank is going to need a good scrubbing for algae and probably a photo period reduction, 12 hours to 10 hours. I do believe this tank will look quite nice in a couple more weeks as it fills in. My buddy Matt and I are going into the mountains tomorrow to check the streams and such for any other plants. Hopefully I can find a moss of some sort to cover some of those branches. I really wish I had a better camera. Some day...

October 29, 2009

Well, big scrubbing this week since I had a ton of algae growing in it, more than one type. So I also cut the photo period back from 12 hours to 8. I'm hoping the dramatic and quick change won't negatively affect the plants. I've discovered yet another inhabitant. I don't know what it is, but it's definitely some sort of insect. They crawl around on the wood. This tank is just full of surprises!

|
|
|
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Nice tank!

I used to live in Fort Collins, and I think you really captured some of the beauty of the river. I loved walking along the Poudre in the fall.

I had some of that elodea (not sure if it's that species, but definitely an elodea) and it never did well for me, but I was also trying to acclimate it to warm water. It looks like it's growing good for you though!

I used to know a Matt up there in Fort Collins who kept fish and plants...wonder if it's the same one lol. I miss that town.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you!

The plant is doing quite well in my tank, but perhaps that's because I don't heat it and the ambient temperature in my house varies around 65-72.

I don't think the Matt's the same one, he doesn't keep fish or plants, though I'm trying to fix that. ^.~

|
|
|
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This Week's Picture: November 3, 2009

This Week's Comments:
I was a day late updating my tank threads this week. Nothing to report on, really. Growth is nice and healthy and, as always, the ever-increasing number of animal species that show up is interesting. The snails are going at it, I find a new egg sack daily, sometimes more than one.

This Week's Questions:
None.

Setup

Flora

Fauna

• Endless pond snails
  • Hydra viridis

|
|
|
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Have you considered making more of a "aquascape" and clustering the plants a little more densely, and introducing a second lower-growing plant species? Or are you planning on keeping this a mono-species aquascape?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I haven't found another plant in the Poudre, yet, to use. I also didn't want it to look too "ordered" as I wanted it to look like I literally took a piece out of the river and put it in my kitchen. Rest assured, however, when spring comes around, I will be out romping around in rivers and creaks looking for a second plant to use. ^.^

|
|
|
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
There's not too much that will grow in the waters there, with how cold it can get. I know I've seen another species growing semi-emersed along the edge of a creek near the Poudre, but it was all on private property so I can't direct you on where to get some. Not sure what it was, but I remember thinking it was nice. It was a few years ago though, so I don't remember what it looked like either. Keep hunting!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 04:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ReApEr View Post
Next week, this tank is going to need a good scrubbing for algae and probably a photo period reduction, 12 hours to 10 hours.
To avoid bad algae, like BBA, it is best to start with 6 hours.

I don't keep light on longer than 9 unless I make a siesta in the middle.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The lights are 8 right now and I'm still getting some algae, so I may well cut it to six next week, see how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel301 View Post
There's not too much that will grow in the waters there, with how cold it can get. I know I've seen another species growing semi-emersed along the edge of a creek near the Poudre, but it was all on private property so I can't direct you on where to get some. Not sure what it was, but I remember thinking it was nice. It was a few years ago though, so I don't remember what it looked like either. Keep hunting!
Yeah, that's why I'm going to try heading out next spring/summer, maybe I can catch some things that aren't around the rest of the year.

|
|
|
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This Week's Picture: November 9, 2009

This Week's Comments:
Nothing to report on, really, I messed around a bit in Photoshop and think I got a better color out of this week, so I'll have to continue that. Otherwise, no news.

This Week's Questions:
None.

Setup

Flora

Fauna

• Endless pond snails
  • Hydra viridis

|
|
|
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This Week's Picture: November 16, 2009

This Week's Comments:
This tank has taken a back seat, recently, to the current demands of my 29g. I think this week's picture exemplifies that. Algae creeping around, plants replaced by a weed jungle, etc. I really want to start actually getting a hold on the plants and getting them nice and thickly planted, so perhaps next week I'll have some news in terms of aquascaping.

This Week's Questions:
None.

Setup

Flora

Fauna

• Endless pond snails
  • Hydra viridis

|
|
|
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This Week's Picture: November 23, 2009

This Week's Comments:
Neglected for another week. My 29g is consuming my every ounce of energy and time, so this tank is kind of on a hiatus for a while, it seems.

This Week's Questions:
None.

Setup

Flora

Fauna

• Endless pond snails
  • Hydra viridis

|
|
|
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This Week's Picture: November 30, 2009

This Week's Comments:
Obviously neglected another week. My 29g seems to be getting better, so I should be able to invest some more time in this tank.

This Week's Questions:
None.

Setup

Flora

Fauna

• Endless pond snails
  • Hydra viridis

|
|
|
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Last week's picture:

|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode