This tank's already been up and running a few weeks, so I'm just going to post the previous weeks' pictures and comments for reference.
October 5, 2009
Week 1! This was really fun to start. Read the album description for details on what, exactly, it is and how it got started. So far, just in a few days' time, the plants are doing really well. I was kind of worried that they wouldn't because I found them in slightly different conditions than they are now, but they've grown a ton already, so they must like the new conditions. I've got lots of micro worms in the substrate that sit and sway back and forth, which is pretty interesting. We'll have to see what happens with this over the months!
October 12, 2009
Week 2 came and went. Not a lot to say on this one, but it did grow a ton. I did some trimming and replanting as well as some moving around of the driftwood. I have a feeling this tank is going to grow in like crazy. These plants are quite prolific growers so far. Oh, I suppose I should add that I've discovered a new inhabitant: I think they're flatworms. Interesting little tank, this one.
October 19, 2009
Well, I've discovered yet another inhabitant, species Hydra viridis, I believe. A relative of jellyfish and sea anemones. Kinda cool. I also think I discovered the plant species: Elodea nuttallii. Anyway, the tank is growing in like crazy. Just today, I received my BorneoWild 300mm curved pincette. It made trimming and replanting an absolute breeze. Highly recommended product, from GreenLeafAquariums.com. I don't know how I've been doing it with cosmetic tweezers, but the pincette makes a huge difference. Next week, this tank is going to need a good scrubbing for algae and probably a photo period reduction, 12 hours to 10 hours. I do believe this tank will look quite nice in a couple more weeks as it fills in. My buddy Matt and I are going into the mountains tomorrow to check the streams and such for any other plants. Hopefully I can find a moss of some sort to cover some of those branches. I really wish I had a better camera. Some day...
October 29, 2009
Well, big scrubbing this week since I had a ton of algae growing in it, more than one type. So I also cut the photo period back from 12 hours to 8. I'm hoping the dramatic and quick change won't negatively affect the plants. I've discovered yet another inhabitant. I don't know what it is, but it's definitely some sort of insect. They crawl around on the wood. This tank is just full of surprises!